Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Passenger

Default Two Adults looking at Disney

My Hubby and I went on our first cruise with Carnival in Dec and we're looking to do another cruise, and Disney Cruise lines has come up a few times in our conversation. We live in FL and visit WDW frequently so this seemed like a possible alternative, but I'm looking for some opinions:

1. We don't have kids. I know that I should definetely expect a good amount of kiddies running around, but does it ever get overwhelming? I'm never bothered by kids at WDW but in the confines of the cruise ship I'm a little concerned.

2. We're looking at doig a 7 dayer so we're looking at a few sea days. Are there good activies for adults on sea days? We like sitting out by the pool and such, but we're also young (27 & 31) and pretty active.

3. I love food and WDW serves some of the best food I've ever had. I still have dreams about a meal I had at Artist Pointe. How does the food in the main dining room compare to fine dining venues at Epoct? I've already heard that Paolo is a must try, and if we go I'm already planning on it.

3. Do higher level catagories of stateroom provide any perks other than more space? I'm not looking to break the bank but I'm fine with a basic oceanview unless higher catagory cabins provide something exciting (ie concierge or butler service)

Thanks in advance for answering my nitpicky questions! :-)
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Captain

Default Re: Two Adults looking at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by trintrin86
My Hubby and I went on our first cruise with Carnival in Dec and we're looking to do another cruise, and Disney Cruise lines has come up a few times in our conversation. We live in FL and visit WDW frequently so this seemed like a possible alternative, but I'm looking for some opinions:

1. We don't have kids. I know that I should definetely expect a good amount of kiddies running around, but does it ever get overwhelming? I'm never bothered by kids at WDW but in the confines of the cruise ship I'm a little concerned.

2. We're looking at doig a 7 dayer so we're looking at a few sea days. Are there good activies for adults on sea days? We like sitting out by the pool and such, but we're also young (27 & 31) and pretty active.

3. I love food and WDW serves some of the best food I've ever had. I still have dreams about a meal I had at Artist Pointe. How does the food in the main dining room compare to fine dining venues at Epoct? I've already heard that Paolo is a must try, and if we go I'm already planning on it.

3. Do higher level catagories of stateroom provide any perks other than more space? I'm not looking to break the bank but I'm fine with a basic oceanview unless higher catagory cabins provide something exciting (ie concierge or butler service)

We do Disney without kids all the time. The busiest place for kids is the Mickey pool. That area is always busy and noisy with kids having fun. Most of deck 5 is dedicated to kids but they are in clubs, not rnning around the deck.

We have never felt over whelmed by kids accept by the Mickey pool.
If you want less kids at dinner, opt for late dining. Just remember this is disney and there are plentyof kids.

Disney does a good job at keeping the kids OUT of the adult pool and hot tub areas. In the evening there are 3 clubs for adults only. All are themed differently and very nice.
During the day they do offer a few adult things like The Art of Entertaining series that goes all week ,lots of samples there, yummy!! A galley tour, wine, martini and tequilla tasting (does cost extra), Art of the Ship tour,. Some family events few if any kids attend like the Trivia games and such. Disney also has movies int he movie theater during the day and evening.

I suggest you google Disney Navigators and look at that to see the adult events.

Food is a personal preference. Many swear Disney si the best, others will swear Carnival is etc..
I think all the dining rooms have excellant food, the buffet is average.

Some suites will have concierge service but we are never in the room long eough to worry about that kinds of stuff. Having a free fresh fruit bowl delivered to my suite when I can get all the free fresh fruit I want at Goofys galley means nothing to me.
They can get you Palos reservations but you can do that yourself.

when you book Palos if it says they are all filled up, don't worry. Upon boarding you can make reservations, they save a few for people who donthave computer access or book last minute. When you check in they will give you a paper that will tell you when and where to make reservations.

Personally I would take the cheaper room, they have plenty of room in them because your not in the room that much and use that extra money for excursions or souvenirs!!

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can't add a lot to the previous post but I can give some insights. I have cruised on both Disney and RCL. On the Magic, you will find and be constantly bombarded with Disney everything, literally. If you do not absolutely adore the entire Disney experience, choose another line. I LOVE Disney, so I really like cruising DCL. Be warned mileage may vary.

As far as being overwhelmed by kids, if you can handle the zoo that is Disney World, a cruise on DCL will be a piece of cake. I found the kids, in general, to be fairly well behaved and they tended to keep to thier respective kids areas. There are places that are adult only and the theatre was almost always empty. The shows usually had kids attending but many of the very little ones tended to go be in the late night kids areas. Mom and dad wanted a 'night out'.

At sea days tend to be down times. If your hopeing for activity other than the gym or jogging path, go hiking in the mountains. It's a ship at sea, what can you expect?

As far as cabins, I've stayed in a category 3 and 4. I like having a balcony. That is really the only perk with a more expensive stateroom unless you stay in a cat 1, then you will break the bank. The higher category staterooms (the less expensive ones) are good sized. None of the rooms are huge (except the cats 1 and 2) but they are well laid out and plenty roomy. Unless you want a balcony, I would go with an ocean view.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Familiar Face

My wife and I just returned from our first Disney cruise. We were surprised to find that DCL is not up to Disney standards (in our estimation). It was nothing major, just an accumulation of little things that disappointed us. The elevators are extremely small, just big enough to fit 6-8 adults. If parents had a buggy (or 2), we took the stairs. I agree with others that the food in the dining rooms was much better than the buffet. The buffet was always cold. The spoons handed our with the desserts would not reach the bottom of the parfait glass (too wide). At Serenity Bay, where we ate on their private island, the food was excellent. Cabins were a great plus on DCL. Our category 6 cabin was by far the best we have had on a cruise. Whatever you decide, though, its hard not to enjoy a cruise!
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Two Adults looking at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by trintrin86

You've asked great questions!
First of all, since you are FL residents...look for Florida residents discounts. Just about every week DCL offers this, but on a limited amount of cabins to be sold at this rate.

Since you enjoy WDW, I think you will just LOVE DCL even more so! Dont' worry about the kids so much, they are happy to be in their playrooms full of fun activitites. Adults pools are quiet and I have not seen any kids in them at all. Another idea is to avoid spring break or summer time as those peak family vacation could have more kids as well. However, most of time the kids are not running around like most people seems to think.

DCL is fun with or without kids. I took my kids on the Trans-Atlantic cruise in 2007, where we sailed from FL to Spain...14 nights of pure Magic!!

If you are a true Disney fan of WDW, you will love cruising DCL. Go give it a try and have fun!!!
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

Hello,
We are ages 66 and 72 and went onn the Disney Wonder. We say to you..........GO! It is a chance for your inner child to come out. Food is great. The kids were not overwhelming but fun to watch. Got to try it. We are considering having our 25th anniv. on the Wonder!
Another Florida resident, carole
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreodog
Hello,
We are ages 66 and 72 and went onn the Disney Wonder. We say to you..........GO! It is a chance for your inner child to come out. Food is great. The kids were not overwhelming but fun to watch. Got to try it. We are considering having our 25th anniv. on the Wonder!
Another Florida resident, carole
Good for you!!! That' living the life!!!

How wonderful!
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

OK...so are you going to go???? I tell you it is really a warm fuzzy fun time and the fireworks onboard?......WOW. It was so hot in July when we went that the day at Disney's Island we skipped and stayed on the ship all day. Had it to ourselves and just indulged in the quiet. Terrific trip
BOOK IT.[/b]