Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
First Mate

Default WE ARE BOOKED FOR THE MAGIC! With a 10month old!!!

Hey everyone! Hey Kathleen!

I'm so excited! We will be going on the Oct 17th cruise for 7 days, still far off but have much to plan. Will be taking our 7year old daughter who has cruised with us several times but now have a baby who will be 10 months old at the time we cruise, very exciting and kinda scary.

Any advice for baby will be great. I have read the boards and am making a list. We just read we are only allowed 10 hours of using the nursery. (that is the same for 3 day and 7 day) We plan to take the baby there maybe a couple times at dinner (we plan to go to palo since we didn't get to last time). And cast away cay day so we can go to the adult beach. We are doing the western track and plan to go to the 7mile beach in Grand Cayman with the kids...Key west maybe the zoo? Or should we just stay on the boat? I have been to Key west before but the rest haven't. Cozumel ...maybe a beach...Or stay on the boat? any recommendations?

My older daughter is so excited. yet she was a bit disappointed that she won't get to go to the oceaneer club with the computers (so sad she is growing up ). I know she will have a blast though.

What do they do different on 7day cruises?

Woohoo!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

Hi, There!

I don't have any answers, as I have the same questions myself. I just wanted to say that myself, husband and (then) 15 month old baby girl will be on the 10/17 Magic sailing as well! It will be our first cruise of any kind and we are beyond excited.

Great to "meet" someone on the same boat.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Captain

Hi Kim,
thats great you have a Western booked!!
One tip I can offer for the baby. Take plenty of swim diapers with you for the toddler splash zone. They do sell them on board but they often run out and they are expensive on the ship.

Dont stay on the ship, go and explore!!
Take an umbrella style stroller so you can easily fold it up and carry when needed.

Key West also has an aquarium. I havnt been through it but it is good for kids I'm sure.
Cozumel and Grand Caymen both have nice beaches.

Grand Caymen ahs a turlte farm your oldest might like to see and then stop at a beach on the way back. Most excursions will drop you off on a beach as they return to the ship, then grab a taxi back again.

You will tender at Grand Caymen. They dont have a pier there. Lots of shopping along the port area but very expensive shops unless you walk way down to the right. Not my favorite port. But I would get off just to say you were there if nothing else. Traffic is terrible here, so head back a bit early for the ship. Dont want to be left behind

Cozumel is very pretty. Just walking around the shopping plaza is entertaining. They usually have a live band playing towards the back. Plus a statue thats really a man. They make great photos but ask for a donation to take the photo. Shops are fun and not too expensive. People are very friendly there. With a baby the only excursions I can think of there would be a beach excursion. It is really easy to just grab a taxi to take you to a beach too and cheaper than a DCL excursion.

On the ship they have lots more to do than the Wonder does. There will be one new show, new entertainers, different trivia and craft classes.
One day they will have extra live music by the pool. There is a live band in the club st night.
There is a dessert buffet late night , usually on thursday night.
Just to mention a few things. After doing a 7 day, the 3 & 4 will seem way too short!!

I will see if I can find a site for you for Western Navigators so you can read for yourself about events on the ship. I will post it soon.

I am so excited for you Kim!! I will be expecting a report and photos when you return!! I dont get to go again until 9/18/2010 so i need to live through other peoples cruises until then to get my Disney fix!!

I'll look for the site and get back to you tomorrow,
Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the great info as usual Kathleen. I was thinking too one day let the hubby watch the baby while me and the oldest go get our toes done. I think my husband is more excited then anyone. We really had an awesome time on the 3day. I can't wait for castaway cay! We have been to all the ports before. I will have to research the turtle farm to see how long it is because I want to have enough time on the 7mile beach. We will definetly check into taking a cab to the beaches. Did you take a cab? How much was it do you remember?

Starinyte-
You are going to love it! This cruise will definetly set your standards high if you ever cruise on a different line. Disney is high customer service all the way. I think that is why my husband loves disney so much. I don't know if you plan to use the nursery or not but we plan to drop our little one off there during castaway cay and take our oldest to the family beach for a bit then take her over to the kiddie area and take advantage of the adult beach. It's like the Corona commercial. So peaceful and just awesome. Not crowded at all. I think we were one couple of 4 couples total when we went the last time. And from what I understand you have to try Palo. The rest of the trip we plan to take the baby and our 7yr old. We will have to make lists and compare them to be sure we have everything!

Kim
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Captain

Kim,
We didnt take a cab to the beach. We took an Island tour on GC and on the way back they offered to drop you off at the beach and then you take a cab back. We have friends that do a cab to the beach in every port. Just ask before you get in the cab ho wmuch it will be. always settle the price before getting in the cab.

We never do a beach day accept for Castaway Cay. That is our beach day.
We go to see the islands, not just beautiful sand and water. Most of the excursions will stop by a beach for an hour or so or give us a view of the beach from a view point on the tour.
I have seen 7 miles beach and it is BEAUTIFUL!! You'll love it.

Living in Florida and in Oregon I have seen enough beaches to sit and relax on. I want to explore the islands we go to.

I havnt forgotton about the Navigator, here is a link:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...-navigator.htm

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Templeton
Kim,
We never do a beach day accept for Castaway Cay. That is our beach day.
This is our plan, too. We really want to do the Tulum tour in Cozumel (in fact, the ruins were the only reason we chose Western over Eastern Caribbean. My husband has an Archaeology undergrad.) But the guide book I bought says that the tour is for 5 and over only. I'm guessing this is because of strollers (says, rough terrain) but we have a really great (comfortable for us and our DD) baby carrier to strap our little one to our backs. Wonder if they would mind if we took her that way? Otherwise, we'll probably do Flounders on that day.

Kim, we are definitely planning to do Palo's during the trip! Can't decide if it should be brunch or dinner though... any suggestions?
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Captain

Gosh you picked the right cruise for ruins. We have done 3 different ruins in our 3 western crusies. Loved all of them.

Yes it is rough terrain on allof them. Strollers wont work. a back pack will work ok. Lots of walking and standing as they explain about the ruins and culture. One place you could hike up tons of stairs to the top. I sat that out and Greg went up and got soem awesome pictures.
I have done so many I cant remember if we did the Tulum ones or a different one off the top of my head. But all of them are similar
. One of Ours was a 5 or 6 hour tour too.

we also did one at Costa Maya when we could go to Cozumel that was awesome!! Your husband will be in for a real treat.

Many parents brought along snacks for the kids to eat on the bus, and a story book to help entertain them. they gave us a bottle of water at the end of the tour, so glad we brought our own to have during the tour, it was muggy and lots of bugs. So take bug spray and use it. If you dont you will get bit!!

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise