Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
First Mate

Default How formal is formal night?

We've been on 1 other disney (wonder) cruise. It was a 3night. Next fri we will be leaving for a 7night on the Magic. We dressed up on the Wonders "formal" night and I remember feeling like we were the only ones that got the memo for formal night. My husband wore a jacket and tie and me a nice long black dress.

So I'm wondering ...is it different on the 7night? We also got reservations for Palo's one night. Do the men wear a jacket to Palo's?

Thanks!
Kim
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Captain

Hi Kim,
The Wonder is alot more casual than the Magic.

More do dress up on the Magic than the Wonder, but you will see all manor of dress. The clothes you described will fit in nicely for formal night.
You dont see many tuxes but you will see a lot of suits and many ladies will be dressed up. Some are pant suits but they are dressy ones. I always see several long dresses too. Usually black ones.

Palos use to require jackets. They no longer do that but most do wear them. They do require a nice dress shirt and tie for men with slacks of course. Women a nice outfit. So it is not formal but it is nice dress and they unlike the regular dining rooms will send you away to change clothes if your not dressed properly.

On the DCL website they do have the dress code listed, that is where I read jackets are no longer required for men. We have our first Palos ressies for our Nov cruise and I wanted to make sure hubby was dressed properly.
Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Hey Kathleen!
So is your husband going to wear a suit in Palo's?
My husband wants to be comfortable...doesn't want to wear the jacket. I read the dress code and it says he could wear just a "dress shirt". I hate to show up and him be the only one without a jacket.
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Captain

Hi Kim,
No Greg wont be wearing his suit jacket. He want to be comfortable too. Even on formal night he only wears slacks, dress shirt and a tie.

We are casual people and if he had to wear a full suit he wouldnt go.

I have looked into the windows of Palos as I walked by in the evening and i have seen many people who didnt have jackets on, more than once.

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM
First Mate

thankyou! He will be happy!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Beginner

Hi Kathleen,

we're going on our first ever DCL cruise this January 2010. For Dinners, do we have to wear formal clothes or casual clothes is enough?

thanks
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Captain

They have different dress codes for different nights.
Most nights are casual which basically means everything is ok accept shorts and tank tops. They never want those on any night although you will see s few people wearing them.

You wont be turned away but it is against policy.

One night will be pirate night where your encouraged to dress in pirate attire which is a lot of fun to do. On the longer cruises it seems more dress up than the shorter cruises.
If your not comofrtable with wearing a costume that you put together you can just wear a pirate t-shirt and old jeans or holy pants. Capris are nice because they are shorter. I ripped the bottoms of the pants into strips and the end of the sleeves of a white top to make it more pirate like.

That night for those who dont do pirate it suggest tropical which still keep to the theme of the evening due to the pirate party later that night.

Ok then you will have a formal night on the longer cruises and a semi formal night.
Shorter cruises just have a semi formal night.

On Formal night you will see everything from tuxes and long evening gowns to slacks, dress shrit and tie with NO jacket, nice pant suits for women usually dark colors to people who show up dressed casual dress.
Which kind of ruins the atmosphere for those who want one formal evening. This is important to some so I try to respect that and obey the rules.
If we dont want to dress up we go to the buffet that night. It is NOT a buffet at dinner. Its sit down with a salad bar you can serve yourself. Smaller menu but a good one and nice and quiet there. Much faster service too. This is where they train the waiters. It is open all but the first and last night, 6:30 to 8:30 P.M.

Ok semi formal is usually what I would call church clothes, a bit nicer than casual clothes. A nice dresss, pant suit, skirt and top maybe with a jacket and a bit of jewelry? Men often wear a sport coat and dress shirt and slacks, sometimes a tie. My husband doenst even wear a tie to semi formal night and we don't feel out of place at all.

Usually for casual nights he wears Khaki pants or dockers and a collared shirt. Some are tropical or disney themed. I wear slacks and a nice blouse. When we do formal night he wears dress shirt, tie and slacks, NO jacket, I wear a blue velveteen dress with long sleeves and it comes to 2 inches above my knee with black sandals. Sometimes a necklace. Its not really a formal dress but its a nice dress and we never feel out of place. Its 11 years old.

I hope i answered your question and didnt confuse you too much.

Now if you go to Palos they will turn you away if your not dressed nice.
Suit for men or at least a sport coat, ladies a nice dress or pant suit will do. Brunch is more casual.

If i can help with any other questions please ask.
I will be gone from Nov 1st until Nov 16 for a trip to WDW and a 7 day cruise but other than that I iwll be here and happy to help when I can,

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Hey Kathleen-
I saw one guy wearing jeans and a tshirt at palo's last week!!! (and we went on formal night!!)
Everyone else was dressed nice. My Hubby did end up wearing a suit there only because we went on formal night.
It was real nice.

In the dinning rooms we saw all sorts of kinds of dress. From shorts to slacks...tshirts to dress shirts. No one was turned away but I think it's very tacky.

We went to the "seafood buffet" for lunch one day in Parrot cay. My daughter was so excited she wanted fried shrimp. Well we searched and no fried shrimp. Alot of cold seafood available including shrimp and cold crab claws, sushi, and salad. So one of the crew saw me searching and asked if he could help. I asked if they had any fried shrimp? He went and got the chef..Chef daniel. He said they didn't have any on the buffet but would be glad to make a special order just for her! So we went back to our table, I ate and she sat with an empty plate. It was cute, many of the servers came around and said stuff like...where is your food? What's going on, you coulnd't find anything? Then about 15min and the Chef himself came out with her special order of fried shrimp. They were the BEST fried shrimp I have EVER had!!! Lightly breaded and fried with some sort of seasoning, oh my goodness, my mouth is watering just thinking of them. She loved them too. I thanked him and put him on my survey at the end as wowing us.

So if they don't have something you like, don't be afraid to ask!!!!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Captain

hi Kim,

we had a smililar experience with desserts.
Greg is a diabetic and it's pretty limited selection so many night she has nothing for dessert. One night w eleft before dessert and my son stayed with his girlfriend and when the waiter came and asked where we were he told them his dad didnt care for the desserts and that had happened before so he left.

He asked peter what Greg liked and he said chocolate brownies. The waiter said ok, dotn tell him her talked and keep him at the table tomorrow. Sure enough out came aplate with warm sugar free chocxolate brownies which were very good. He had them 3 nights in a row then that was enough but it was so nice of the pastry Chef to do that for Greg.

I think one reson they dont have the fried shimp is because under the heat lamps they do NOT keep well at all. I have cooked in many restaurants over the years and from a bacteria and health stand point it isnt a good idea.

Yes I have seen people in shorts and t-shirts on formal night which I disagree with. If I don't care to get dressed up but I know this is part of the cruise experience many enjoy so I would never spoil it for them.
We just go to the buffet or have room service that night instead of going under dressed. Its just doing a different experience on the ship.

we like the night buffet, it is sit down with a limited menu and very good. Also much faster to get done and out.

5 days until i leave for WDW and a 7 night cruise. YIPPEE!!

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
First Mate

That's neat about the brownies! Its little touches like that make it magical. I forgot. I requested strawberries one night for my daughter. Every night after that our waiter brought her a bowl of strawberries for her appetizer without us asking. So nice.
Oh we did the cookies and milk one night. They were huge and yummy! Have a great time!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Captain

Thanks Kim,
I plan on having an awesome time next month. Starting at WDW will be a great way to get into the Disney frame of mind too.

It is so cold and rainy here I really am looking forward to some warm weather before I shrivel like prune.

I'll post how it goes when we return.

One question for you.

I was wondering if many were sick on your cruise, thinking of the flu, not sea sick? Did you hear anything? I know they take many precautions but this time of year with 2 Flu's going around sometimes a cruise will ge thit with it.

So far I havnt heard of much illness. I am keeping my fingers crossed we don't pick up something. Of course I am not worried enough to not go

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Kathleen,
They make you sign a statement before you board basically saying you are healthy. All the cruiselinsare doing this now. But who is going to say they aresick if they really are?!
I didn't see anyone appearing sick. They give you a wipe to clean yor hand before every meal and before boarding.
There is a note in the bathroom about safety measures of avoiding getting sick and who to call if so.

I wouldn't worry. Just use good handwashing and you will be fine!
Have fun. I'm ready to go back to WDW!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Captain

Yes they have good safety measures,. They have been doing that for about 2 years now and I know it helps.

I have both suitcases ready to go, just the carry on to pack a tthe last minute. I have prepaid all the bills and confirmed the dog sitter too.

I have even sent out a notice to my friends to not send me e-mails during the time we are gone.
kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old October 28th, 2009, 05:17 AM
First Mate

If you like chocolate get the chocolate mousse in lumineres. It was sinful!
Speaking of chocolate... They didn't have the chocolate buffet! They had it on the 3day wonder.
Do you know if they got rid of this?
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Captain

I think they are only doing it on the longer cruises now, but not 100% sure.

I will try and find out on our cruise and let you know.

Only 4 days until we leave

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Hi Kimbo,
I hope you must have enjoyed in Disney. I want to know which Cruise is best for being travelled to Disney?
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

Hi Kim,
We were on the Wonder in July 07 and did not note any real "formal" BUT I think if you so chose to dress formal....why not? Go for it girl. We will be going on the Dream in 2011 and I will say I will not be going "formal". A nice top and slacks and sparkle jewelry will work for me.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreodog View Post
Hi Kim,
We were on the Wonder in July 07 and did not note any real "formal" BUT I think if you so chose to dress formal....why not? Go for it girl. We will be going on the Dream in 2011 and I will say I will not be going "formal". A nice top and slacks and sparkle jewelry will work for me.
Hi Oreodog,

Kim has already taken the cruise and is back.

Hopefully she had no problems with the dress codes.

Bill
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post
Hi Oreodog,

Bill
Bill, this is a situation/subject that interests/concerns a lot of first time cruisers. Many lurkers come here and are afraid to post. They appreciate being able to read the information.

Now me, my Disney experience is limited to a 4 day. It had no formal nights, (so I am surprised the OP had a formal night on the 3 day-our cruise was in September 2004) and we found that cruise was very casual for dinner dress. One dinning room (Tritons) they requested men wear jackets and women wear either a dress or a dressy pantsuit. My husband and one other man were the only 2 men we saw wearing jackets. Only a handful of women were dressed up also.

We did dress up also, the night we ate at Palos. In that restuarant, you saw most women wearing nice cocktail dresses, but men, still few jackets, although most wore a nice collared shirt and dress slacks.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post
Hi Oreodog,

Bill
I thought the same thing.

Nita