Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

Default 13 month old to young to cruise Wonder?

I was planning a family trip to Disney next April 2010. Saw the "Kids Sail Free" promotion and decided to extend my stay and include the 4 day Bahama cruise, but have mixed feelings. My husband and I have gone cruising before, but we've never traveled with child before and since it will be only my husband, and I with a 13 month old on the cruise I was wondering on pointers. I know this is a kid oriented cruise but was wondering if my 13 month old will be too young for it.
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Captain

well there are 2 ways to think about this.
1. Your child will have a lot of fun but will not remember it. So for some that makes it a waste of money.

2. You will remember all the fun your child will have so actually your doing this more for you than the child. But I guarantee the memories will be priceless. Plus the child will have fun.

There are pros and cons to any age.

The splash zone for toddlers is great. Bring plenty of swim duapers!!

Flounders nursery will have plenty of toys if you leave her there. I think its $6 per hour, 2 hour minimum. Counsleors will get down and play with yor child. They limit how many kids at a time, so you must have reservations. That way they can guarantee enough one on oen with every child. Sometimes when the older kids club is empty they will take toddlers in there to play for a bit too. There is a 2 way mirror you can look into anytime to see the kids. You will also have a beeper in case they need to page you.
Normally your limited to 10 hours per cruise but if you keep in touch with them, you can almost always pick up hours if you want.

When we took little ones we also walked them around deck 4 where it was quieter and often had them nap on the padded loungers there while we enjoyed the ocean view or read a book instead of being in the room while they napped.

Alos during the day around the sdult club area its ok for family and there are huge port hole windows with padded bottoms so you can sit and watch the waves. Our little ones loved to sit there.

In the evenign shows all the kids are talkative until the music starts them its like they are hypnotised by the music and bright colors and movements on stage. we always brought a treat to keep them busy until the show started. but thye loved the shows too.
Also when the live music was playing in the Promenade lounge they loved to bop up and down on the dance floor while we enjoyed the music. They wern alone, many kids joined in.
It was the same in the Studio Sea family dances. Little ones loved to dance around with everyone and nobody was bothered at all by it.

The wait staff is awesome with little ones too.

The youngest we took was 18 months, so a bit older than yours but if I was asked would you do it again ,even though they do get cranky and tired. I would say YES without hesitating!!

I figure they get cranky and tired at home too so why not have some fun at the same time, plus to see the smiles and looks when they saw characters was priceless.

we lived by the kiddie water areas. It was awesome!!

kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Captain

i almost forgot, if youneed a stroller, make it an umbrella style.
Larger strollers are a pain on board. They fill the enitre hallway, take up too much room in the elevators and are a hallse to get on and off the ship at times.

Plus if your child is asleep at dinner they can sleep in it at dinner right next to you without disturbing people waiting on tables.

Bring extra swim diapers. They sell them but always seem to run out and they are spendy.
Staff will blend up any foods you may want at meal time. Just ask.

Lots of fresh fruit for snacks at Goofys Galley. we always put some in the cooler in the room for a quick healthy snack, also at breakfast in the biffet we grab an extra carton of yogurt or milk or bowl of cereal ( boxes) and take back to the room for easy quick snacks..

No matter what is happening on the ship if you take breaks so she can have her naps you will have a much better experience. Try to keep a schedule as close to home schedule and she will be happier and so will you. if you have to miss a show they usually repeat on the TV in the evening so you can still see it..

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
First Mate

We just got back from the magic. It was me my husband my 7 year old and my
10month old. My 7yr old and I had a great time. My husband took it upon his self to nap with
The baby the whole trip. We did drop the baby off at the nursery a few times. She doesn't go to any childcare normally so this made
Her a bit anxious. She did good at dinner and strolling around. I say if you and your husband set up a game plan and are big Disney fans then
Go for it. But if you ask me would I do it just with the 10month old I would wait until they were 2.
The characters scared the baby and it is a lot of money.
The staff were all very helpful and treated us superb. They Even cut up my older daughters food so
I could concentrate on feeding the baby!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)