Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Passport for Disney?

I received this question by email and decided to ask our experts here:

do you need a passport for a Disney cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Familiar Face

I think it depends on which cruise you choose... if it starts and ends in the U.S. then technically you should not need one - but it is a good idea to have one!

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Captain

There is so much misinformation and misinterpretation about the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. (WHTI)

WHTI Document Requirements for sea travel:

Sea Travel

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Note: Children age 18 and under will need to present a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or a passport to enter the U.S.

Closed loop cruises that depart and return to THE SAME US PORT--for example they leave from and return to Port Canaveral CAN STILL SAIL WITH WHTI APPROVED DOCUMENTS after June 1. These are the same "changes" that have been postponed several times over the last few years. They are finally officially going into effect, however they don't really change anything (with the exception of open loop cruises that depart and return to DIFFERENT ports -i.e. Transatlantics-)

Just remember if you become ill or hurt and must fly home for any emergency you may be required to have a passport.
So it really is a good idea to get one in my opinion.

So what are these WHTI approved documents that you can use after June 1???

Here you go, straight from the Dept. of Homeland Security Website:

Important Change in International Land
and Sea Travel Document Procedures
Effective January 31, 2008 (delayed to June 1, 2009), U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older should no longer expect that they will be able to prove identity and citizenship by relying on an oral declaration alone. Instead, travelers will be asked to present documents from one of the options below when entering the United States at land or sea ports of entry. Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed below may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their identity and citizenship.
Identification Documents*
• Driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
• U.S. or Canadian military identification card
* All identification documents must have a photo, name, and date of birth.
One of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship.
Acceptable Documents as of June 1, 2008
• U.S. or Canadian Passport
• U.S. Passport Card (Available Spring 2008)*
• Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*
• State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available – this secure driver’s license will denote identity and citizenship.)*
• Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*
• U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
• U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
• Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
• Form I-872 American Indian Card
• Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card
* Frequent Land Border Crossers — To expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above asterisked documents.
U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Single Document Option
U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Two Document Option
U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Procedures for Children
All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the columns below.
Effective January 31, 2008 (delayed to June 1, 2009), U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, or municipal authority.
CBP Publication No. 0000-0644; Revised January 2008
Citizenship Documents
• U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority• U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
• U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
• U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
• U.S. Citizen Identification Card
• Canadian Citizenship Card
• Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

It sounds like you don't need one, but I also think it is a good idea to have one. I would have to dig through my entire basement to find my birth certificate!

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Beginner

I'm also thinking about this today as I just realized that I never had my name changed on my passport when I got married 2 years ago and we are planning a Disney cruise next month.

I'm debating whether I should just go with my birth certificate, marriage license, and drivers license or if I should attempt to have a new passport expediated and back to me in time for the cruise.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have heard that in this case they are pretty lenient, but I recommend you have your passport AND another form of ID - maybe your marriage license.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Familiar Face

About a year ago I ordered my first passport... from start to finish when I received my passport in the mail it took all of a week and a half. I'm not sure if expediting is necessarily worth it.

Others I have spoken with also mentioned they received their new passports in less than 2 weeks.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Familiar Face

I agree - when there isn't much travel going on then they can process faster. As I recall they put on extra staff a few years ago when they made the restrictions tighter. As soon as the rush was over I recell hearing people were getting their passports very quickly.

Maybe those people are still on staff - since it is a government job (do they ever fire anyone?

Old February 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog

Hello,
As I worte we booked in the DREAM for April 2011. Our Passports expire May 2011 so when I spoke to Disney Cruise Line I was told WE DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT FOR NASSAU. The plastic room card they issue will cover the 5 of us for Nassau and Castaway Cay. We still will carry our passports as 2011 is off a ways yet isn't it? Best to call again closer to the Cruise.
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

OH DEAR........You best make very sure you change the name. Must use current legal name. you can go to the govt. site on passports and do it online. just type in passport name change in the search box and sites will come up
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreodog View Post
Hello,
As I worte we booked in the DREAM for April 2011. Our Passports expire May 2011 so when I spoke to Disney Cruise Line I was told WE DO NOT NEED A PASSPORT FOR NASSAU. The plastic room card they issue will cover the 5 of us for Nassau and Castaway Cay. We still will carry our passports as 2011 is off a ways yet isn't it? Best to call again closer to the Cruise.
UPDATE as of 5/7/10..................... spoke to another Disney Cruise Line person and was told YES.......... DO NEED PASSPORT!
You know what?
Not going to take any chances.
Got the photos redone over the weekend and mailing in for new passports. Why regret? Hope to need them on more travels.
Oreodog
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Beginner

I think the name of the passport is Disney and that is awesome. It sounds like lots of fun and excitement. So basically I like to know the information about how I can get the passport and how I can get the entry in cruise.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I have heard that in this case they are pretty lenient, but I recommend you have your passport AND another form of ID - maybe your marriage license.
Hello,
We are booked for the DREAM in April 2011 as I stated before. I have called DCL twice and was told 2 different stories so know what? We just plain updated our passports that were to expire in May 2011 and............PROBLEM SOLVED! Why take chances?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine4161 View Post
I think the name of the passport is Disney and that is awesome. It sounds like lots of fun and excitement. So basically I like to know the information about how I can get the passport and how I can get the entry in cruise.
Hi There,
OK you can go to your Local Post Office to ask of passports. or look us U.S.Passports on the internet and you can obtain the paperwork online for first time passport or renewels. You will have to go someplace (I went to Walgreens Phot Dept.) and have 2 pictures taken...........NO YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF! Has to be certain size and certain facial shot.
Fill out the paperwork and mail it in with your check and............wait! Allow 6 weeks I was told but got ours alot sooner!
Good Luck
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Beginner

I need a passport for a Disney cruise. But before do that I want to know some information about that which describe as below:

(1) What is the charges to get the passport for Disney cruise?
(2) What is the charges to get the passport for Disney cruise as life time?
(3) Is there any credits or any extra facility for the passport member?
(4) Any other person can use the same passport?

I will appreciate for all reply.
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Beginner

So let me get this straight so I don't mess up. If I do not get a passport, then I will need my birth certificate, my marriage license, and my drivers license. Great! I was adopted by my stepdad when I was 17, will I need that form also???
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Passport expires within 6 months of cruise

Many countries require that the expiration date of your passport must be at least 6 months AFTER the end of your visit. If not, you may be denied entry, and put on the next trip outbound.

This happened to a Spaniard at the Russian-Mongolia border. The Russians refused to let him enter, and he had to go back to UlanBator, Mongolia. A week later, we saw him in Siberia. He had to go to the Spanish embassy in UlanBator, get a new passport, and new visas for both Mongolia and Russia, at great expense.

So, it is best to get a new passport to be sure that you will be allowed into that country.

PapaBear
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default Name change on passport

I used to do tax returns at H&R Block. A problem that came up fairly often was when a young woman got married, but did not get name changes on various documents. It caused problems for filing jointly.

It could be a problem at borders, if your passport is not up to date.

PapaBear
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default More on Passports

In 1989, my wife and I moved to Jerusalem, Israel, to work as volunteers for a Christian organization. We were issued a Tourist visa at Ben Gurion airport, good for 90-days. But, as soon as the visa was stamped in our passports, we automatically were barred from all Arab countries (except Egypt and Jordan). At end of the ninety days, we had to apply for a Temporary Resident (not allowed to work) for the next 6-months. Later, our Passports expired, So we had to go to American Consulate in East Jerusalem, and get new Passports. We now had Passports issued in Jerusalem, even worse. We had a hard time crossing into Egypt to visit Sinai and Jebel Musa.

But my USA Passport came in handy several times, when I was stopped by the police for traffic violations. A wave of the Passport usually being waved on.

PapaBear
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Regards less if you are on a closed loop cruise. If you need to make an emergency flight home . You will definitlely require a Passport.
Example : Closed looped cruise from Miami to Mexico , Jamaica etc.
If you need to go home from Jamaica , a passport will be required to board
the flight and to re enter the US or even Canada.
Under current requirements people traveling to Canada require passports .
Some countries or nationalities (Americas with a US Green) require visas to
enter Canada.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Passenger

We were planning a Disney cruise for SB11 and were told that yes we do need a passport and that basically a tourist passport would cover what we need, but we would need to obtain a tourist Visa for all the places that we would be stopping. Made more sense to just get passports for the entire family, even though they are a little more cost.

Old August 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Passenger

I also noticed today on the Disney Cruise site that they are referring to needing passports to travel now.

Old August 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Beginner

This is taken from Disney Cruise Terms and Conditions section.

Guests are responsible for obtaining proper documentation to board the ship. U.S. government regulations related to passport requirements are subject to change. Therefore, we strongly encourage Guests of all ages to have a valid U.S. passport for all cruises. Please visit the U.S. Department of State website at Welcome to Travel.State.Gov or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center at 877-4USA-PPT for the most current requirements.

Max
Deal for Today
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I received this question by email and decided to ask our experts here:

do you need a passport for a Disney cruise?

Paul,

No, because it is a closed loop cruise that begins and ends at the same US port; however you need photo ID and an official birth certificate.