Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Oreodog
Smile To all adults re: Disney cruisees

To all of you who are looking into the disney information. We are ages 68 & 74 and april 17-21 we will do our secOnd disney cruise on the new Dream.

I would like to present an idea.
Usually we wait till we pass away to leave anything if at all to the Grandchildren. Well, we decided to do a bit different. In 2007 we took 2 Grandaughters on the Wonnder and we were able to be witness to how they enjoyed the inheritance. Now it is 2011 and we have 1 son of all the kids who treats us as if we are alive...therefore........
we are taking the son, his wonderful wife and the 6 yr. Old grandchild on the Dream and again we can witness their joy.

They are Disney fans bigtime but never cruised and for a first cruise to go Disney is like no other and we get to enjoy also. It is on our bucket lists to do the Aquaduck and we shall. May be in pain the next day but.....we are going.

I encourage Grandparents, who can, to seriously consider doing this. I will post pictures after the cruise but I already know.............this is one memory that will never ever be forgotton.:-d
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Great idea!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Admiral

A different perspective (of course this depends on how much money you are leaving behind!). I'd be more inclined to leave the money for the college education.

We've already got our kids' education saved for, so we can splurge on holidays now without worrying of what lies ahead. But if we didn't have the money for the education, and my FIL gave me the option of taking us on a cruise or leaving several thousands for the education fund, guess what I'd opt for?

An education is a gift that lasts a lifetime. Perhaps you are fortunate enough that you can do both!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Admiral

A respectful and formal education at home is much more valuable than a 'store bought' education--IMHO

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oreodog is the Grandfather, its not his responsibility to pay for the college educations, thats the job of the parents! If he wants to "see" the enjoyment that comes from his money, thats up to him. I have "done" the Disney trip with both my grandchildren (all the way from Oz)...Disneyland, not the cruiseline.....and only took one grandchild ay a time, so they had the "special" time. Must say we enjoyed it every bit as much as the kids did.
Have a great time Oreodog!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Spend your money on memories. Why do parents and grandparents save and scrimp to pay for someone's college education while depriving yourself of joyful memories. There are so many ways kids can be in college, for one, they can work, there are scholarships, work study programs, and yes, student loans. I went through college on Pell grants and loans, but I would not be where I am without them. Don't give handouts.
I'm spending on myself and have great memories, that's a good feeling.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLorr View Post
Oreodog is the Grandfather, its not his responsibility to pay for the college educations, thats the job of the parents! If he wants to "see" the enjoyment that comes from his money, thats up to him. I have "done" the Disney trip with both my grandchildren (all the way from Oz)...Disneyland, not the cruiseline.....and only took one grandchild ay a time, so they had the "special" time. Must say we enjoyed it every bit as much as the kids did.
Have a great time Oreodog!
you understand my feelings. i feel education is the parents duty. we took care of them now they take care of theirs while we share fun memories.....plus......what if they do not go to further education as a few of our opted not to do.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
A different perspective (of course this depends on how much money you are leaving behind!). I'd be more inclined to leave the money for the college education.

We've already got our kids' education saved for, so we can splurge on holidays now without worrying of what lies ahead. But if we didn't have the money for the education, and my FIL gave me the option of taking us on a cruise or leaving several thousands for the education fund, guess what I'd opt for?

An education is a gift that lasts a lifetime. Perhaps you are fortunate enough that you can do both!
I opt for the cruise. It is the parents responsibility to educate their children as we did with them. It is not our duty to supply any thing. It would be a gift if they were so lucky as to inherit. It is our joy and pleasure to share what we have with them to enjoy the memories together.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
A respectful and formal education at home is much more valuable than a 'store bought' education--IMHO
It is interesting you say this as we have met a couple who's children were home schooled and were very taken back how well mannered the children were, knowledgable, respectful, calm, more inclined to persue things many of todays kids no longer will. i think i agree with you !!!!!!!
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

To clarify, I'm not suggesting its Oreodog's duty to do anything. He can instruct his attorneys to set fire to his money if that's his will. Like I said, we've already got enough set aside to put our kids through school, but if we didnt' and FIL gave us a choice with what to do with money, that would be my choice.

DH and I place a very high value on education, and that is what we would want for our kids.

To each his own.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Familiar Face

As a Disney Cast Member, I applaud you for taking your family on a cruise and, although I don't have experience with other cruise lines, I have taken five Disney cruises and thoroughly enjoyed them. The only thing is that I have no more significant "other" to share them with since my beloved husband passed away. I would love to take my "kids" but I have too many kids and not enough money. Anyway, enjoyed your post.
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreodog View Post
to all of you who are looking into the disney information. We are ages 68 & 74 and april 17-21 we will do our second disney cruise on the new dream.

i would like to present an idea.
usually we wait till we pass away to leave anything if at all to the grandchildren. Well, we decided to do a bit different. In 2007 we took 2 grandaughters on the wonnder and we were able to be witness to how they enjoyed the inheritance. Now it is 2011 and we have 1 son of all the kids who treats us as if we are alive...therefore........
we are taking the son, his wonderful wife and the 6 yr. Old grandchild on the dream and again we can witness their joy.

they are disney fans bigtime but never cruised and for a first cruise to go disney is like no other and we get to enjoy also. It is on our bucket lists to do the aquaduck and we shall. May be in pain the next day but.....we are going.

i encourage grandparents, who can, to seriously consider doing this. I will post pictures after the cruise but i already know.............this is one memory that will never ever be forgotton.:-d
update......

the cruise was everything i had hoped or dreamed it to be. Our grandaughter had half dollar eys, dropped jaw and that look only a child could have. (although had to laugh like mad as the 40 yr. Old daddy's face was a close second)

the ship was fantastic, the food? Awesome, the service? Oh we were treated so fine and our waiter fussed over our grandaughter so much.

i did the aquaduck...only once as it broke down on day 2 so added bonus......the captain said rather then a day at sea.....we got a second day at castaway cay!!!!!!!! How lucky.

everything, just everything was so wonderful on the dream and that chandelier in the lobby? Breathtaking. So much to do we could not do it all. I need a bit of time but will be downloading pics.

for anyone reading this...................spend the money and go. This cruise gave grandma and grandpa forever memories they shared in on.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the update--sounds wonderful!

Future Cruises:
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have this saying, "Go first class. You're kids will."
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

we always use that quote to friends of ours who WONT spend their money! They call us "money bags" because we fly Business class, so we tell them they should fly First class, because if they dont their kids will! We are also members of the SKI Club.......Spend Your Kids Inheritance.

Oreodog, glad you had such a great time, but of course we knew that you would! When we "saw" Disneyland with our grandkids, the looks on their faces werent much different to Grannys and Pops! We all have memories to last the rest of our lives. BUT talking about 40 year old sons.....mine now says "you took your grandchildren to Disney, when are you taking me"......so luckily none of us grow out of the magic!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
I have this saying, "Go first class. You're kids will."
Love the saying! We are looking at booking our first Disney cruise, when the Disney Magic sails out of Galveston for a few weeks. Sounds very inviting... thanks for sharing.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to my husband travelling so much with his job, we have had the pleasure of flying first-class...but on airmile tickets! The best was getting to fly my mother first-class to California for a big family reunion. She was pampered (this back in 2002) and all of my aunts and uncles were sooooooo jealous. They kept saying to their kids "Terri and Jon flew Aunt Jean out here first-class...so what are you doing for us?!" Feels kind of nice spoiling her when she's always done so much for us...and we (my 2 sisters and 2 brothers) always tell her to spend our inheritance!
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

advice from oreodog...............................book the disney cruise. It is so awesome! Either the wonder, magic or the new dream or the newer fantasy in 2012...just do it.
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
thanks to my husband travelling so much with his job, we have had the pleasure of flying first-class...but on airmile tickets! The best was getting to fly my mother first-class to california for a big family reunion. She was pampered (this back in 2002) and all of my aunts and uncles were sooooooo jealous. They kept saying to their kids "terri and jon flew aunt jean out here first-class...so what are you doing for us?!" feels kind of nice spoiling her when she's always done so much for us...and we (my 2 sisters and 2 brothers) always tell her to spend our inheritance!
your a good person for sure and bet you made her very happy.
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreodog View Post
to all of you who are looking into the disney information. We are ages 68 & 74 and april 17-21 we will do our second disney cruise on the new dream.

i would like to present an idea.
usually we wait till we pass away to leave anything if at all to the grandchildren. Well, we decided to do a bit different. In 2007 we took 2 grandaughters on the wonnder and we were able to be witness to how they enjoyed the inheritance. Now it is 2011 and we have 1 son of all the kids who treats us as if we are alive...therefore........
we are taking the son, his wonderful wife and the 6 yr. Old grandchild on the dream and again we can witness their joy.

they are disney fans bigtime but never cruised and for a first cruise to go disney is like no other and we get to enjoy also. It is on our bucket lists to do the aquaduck and we shall. May be in pain the next day but.....we are going.

i encourage grandparents, who can, to seriously consider doing this. I will post pictures after the cruise but i already know.............this is one memory that will never ever be forgotton.:-d
another update...............have resized picturees to post on this website but...........doggoned it all.......still to large. I will continue to try.
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Oh that's a wonderful idea and I totally agree. Bless you, will you adopt me.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreodog View Post
update......

the cruise was everything i had hoped or dreamed it to be. Our grandaughter had half dollar eys, dropped jaw and that look only a child could have. (although had to laugh like mad as the 40 yr. Old daddy's face was a close second)

the ship was fantastic, the food? Awesome, the service? Oh we were treated so fine and our waiter fussed over our grandaughter so much.

i did the aquaduck...only once as it broke down on day 2 so added bonus......the captain said rather then a day at sea.....we got a second day at castaway cay!!!!!!!! How lucky.

everything, just everything was so wonderful on the dream and that chandelier in the lobby? Breathtaking. So much to do we could not do it all. I need a bit of time but will be downloading pics.

for anyone reading this...................spend the money and go. This cruise gave grandma and grandpa forever memories they shared in on.
Hello Readers,
Well it is now 4 months since our Cruise on the Dream with the son, Daughter in law and Grandchild. I have to let aLL KNOW..................WE SPEAK TO THEM ABOUT DAILY AND THEY SO OFTEN BRING UP SOMETHING FROM THE CRUISE.

OUR MISSION IS ACCOMPLISHED! THEY REALLY ENJOYED THE CRUISE AND WE GOT TO WITNESS IT ALL. THANKS DISNEY CRUISE LINE.

TO ANYONE READING.....YES, IT'S EXPENSIVE BUT...................NOONE DOES IT LIKE DISNEY! WORTH EVERY CENT. I TRIED TO POST PICTURES BUT THEY ARE TO LAGRE TO BE ACCEPTED SO YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO GO YOURSELVES.

GRANDMA & GRANDPA SUNSHINE IN FLORIDA
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

hi granny lorr,
i think we are on the same page. We also are "conservative" but need nothing. Of an age we watch our spending not go wild but........when we go, we go very well. Disney cruise is more pricy then other cruise line but........it is not like the others. It is so unique and it just does something to the adult once you enter it's lobby. Like that pixie dust lands on you.
we have no regrets. I bought the llargest picture package from the ship and gave all of them to the son and wife and had 4x6's made for us. I guess their home is filled with the pics. We personally got over 600 on our dig. Caneras so the memory lives on .
just last week while on live camera with the grandaughter, pixie fairy princess miss zoe, she said to me, "grandma i was thinking about the ship again"

what is left to say?????? The cost left a memory forever.
stay well grandma lorr
grandma carole in port st. Lucie, fl.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

I was just browsing around.....What a fun time you must have had with your son and grandchild. Just had to say, we did the opposite last March. We took my husbands folks (our children's grandparents) on the Disney Dream! It was so nice to share something with them they would have never done for themselves and for our kids to get some quality time with grandparents they don't see very often (we live in NY they live in AR).
We would love to do this with my parents as well, but my mom is terrified to fly or be in the middle of the ocean.

At any rate here is a verse from one of my favorite songs that sums up how I feel about living life:
"Some like to live for the moment,
Taking life into their hands every day.
And if they don't get killed,
They get so high off the thrill,
They could float to heaven anyway.
And others want to save for tomorrow,
Thinking money is security.
Well, I understand the need,
But I don't get the greed.
Y'know, they all seem pretty crazy to me."
~Alana Davis

Have a great day everyone!
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We are grandparents, too, and going on our 1st Disney Cruise aboard the Fantasy Oct. 2013, just 2 of us retired. The grandsons are very young now (1 and 3) so we will have to wait a bit before taking them on a cruise (with or without our daughter and husband). What a wonderful thing you are doing, creating magical memories to last a lifetime both for you and for them! Enjoy every second!
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Captain

I think this is a wonderful idea. I am glad I was able to read through the thread.

I do want to put my two cents in about helping to pay for an education. I am not sure some of the grandparents on this board understand what is going on today in higher education funding but many of the grants and awards we received when we went to college are no longer available. Also tuition is raising through the roof! I am sixty and my two daughters went to State College and ended up with almost $100,000 in debt and we are still paying on parent loans!

So, the memories are wonderful, being able to pay the mortgage, eat, and get your kids through school, much more so. If you can, help with both.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We've already got our kids' education saved for, so we can splurge on holidays now without worrying of what lies ahead.

***EDited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; May 2nd, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: removed hyper link
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Lots To do

theres lots to do
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Whatever happened to Oreodog; I thought they were posting pics of their cruise.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Admiral

We plan on doing the Disney cruise from NYC in 2013 .