CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disney (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/)
-   -   Things for an 18 year old to do? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/382957-things-18-year-old-do.html)

galaxy June 6th, 2011 01:16 PM

Things for an 18 year old to do?

Hello, I turned 18 in April and I'm heading off to college this summer. I'll be going on a Disney cruise to Europe next month and I'm very excited! I've always wanted to visit Europe, and this is kind of like a graduation present for me. Initially I wanted to do a bus tour or something but unfortunately, that would be much too hectic for my brother (he's 8 ) so a cruise would accommodate him more.

I know there is a Vibe club for teens 13-17, but I've heard that they don't always let in 18 year olds, and when they do, they take away your "adult privileges". Then from other sources, I've heard it's kind of a waste of time, lame, etc. so I'm a bit unsure if I'd enjoy it. But if not the Vibe club, what else can an 18 year old do on a Disney cruise? I've been on a cruise to Hawaii and Mexico before and each time I was kind of awkwardly doing things with my parents. I haven't really had a good experience with those cruise clubs, on Carnival, the teens there were racist so I left (I'm Asian).

So long story short, should I attempt to get into Vibe or just do my own thing in the Adult areas? I do want to meet new people though.

Thank you! :)

amyb1984 June 7th, 2011 11:11 AM

this is

soooooooooooooo interesting!!!!!!!1:p:cool::eek::-P

Paul Motter June 7th, 2011 01:04 PM

I am not sure what Amy means but don't worry about it...

In fact 18 is a rough age for cruises because many of them do not allow you to drink unless you are 21 - and there are no activities for 18-21 year olds specifically.

I suggest you choose to hang out with the 17 year olds - you are old enough that one year does not make a big difference.

Disney is very kids-oriented, so either you hang out with the teens (there should be a good number of them) or you will be very limited to a small number of adult only activities - mosty of which include drinking.

I also suggest you focus most on what you want to see in Europe - that will be the highlight of your cruise more so than the ship experience.

Try to enjoy whatever activities you can find - the teens have lots of cool things like Karaoke, recording studio, DJ booth, private pool, etc. Other than that Disney has great shows and movies. I hope you have fun - thanks for posting.

You might want to post this on the teens board as well.

galaxy June 8th, 2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1374945)
I am not sure what Amy means but don't worry about it...

In fact 18 is a rough age for cruises because many of them do not allow you to drink unless you are 21 - and there are no activities for 18-21 year olds specifically.

I suggest you choose to hang out with the 17 year olds - you are old enough that one year does not make a big difference.

Disney is very kids-oriented, so either you hang out with the teens (there should be a good number of them) or you will be very limited to a small number of adult only activities - mosty of which include drinking.

I also suggest you focus most on what you want to see in Europe - that will be the highlight of your cruise more so than the ship experience.

Try to enjoy whatever activities you can find - the teens have lots of cool things like Karaoke, recording studio, DJ booth, private pool, etc. Other than that Disney has great shows and movies. I hope you have fun - thanks for posting.

You might want to post this on the teens board as well.

Thank you very much for your reply! Do you know if Disney is lenient about their age requirements though?

Paul Motter June 9th, 2011 11:02 AM

I have heard that Disney IS lenient about age requirements.

But I think it also involves your parents, and your attitude. Naturally, if you seem like a nice person who just wants to be able to use the teen facilities then I doubt they will have a problem giving you a chance. They will likely let you come in and hang around and as long as you get along with people there shouldn't be any problems.

Just keep in mind that they don't have to let you in, (like they would a 17-year old no matter how he behaved) so it will be up to you to act respectfully with the other teens in the group. Otherwise they might use the fact that you are 18 as an excuse to say you can't come in.

By the way - although they can probably quickly look it up in their records, you don't have to volunteer your age, but if they ask don't lie, just be honest and tell them what you have told us - that you have been on other cruise ships and you don't want to get stuck in the 18-20 year old limbo land.