Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Mediterranean cruise in aug with 1 year old

We are going on the Disney magic mediterranean cruise in august. Were bringing our 1 year old but I'm starting to get worried about traveling with her. Has anyone done a med cruise on Disney with a 1 year old. Do you have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:20 AM
First Mate

I don't know if its advice or not ... but I would say that 3 or 4 is the earliest that a child should be brought to a Disney park. Any younger than that, and they're not only not going to remember it, but not know enough going on to enjoy it. At the age of 3 or 4, they won't particularly remember it when they are older, but they are going to have a blast. Pictures help. I am sure that tidbit of advice will translate well into at least a Disney cruise, if not cruising in general.

And I say that with almost 5 years of experience working at Disney parks and resorts. I have seen it all. :-p

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did a med cruise with Disney last summer, but didn't bring our daughter, who was 1 at the time for a variety of reasons including, you have to pay for the day care on the ship until they are 3, it was our first time in Europe and we wanted to enjoy it without worrying constantly about her, Europe is not stroller friendly. But, we did see many people who had kids that little on the ship. They seemed mostly miserable because it appeared that they were trying to keep their kids with them as much as possible to avoid those extra babysitting fees. At the comedy clubs, in dinner, at the shows, it is just difficult. Keep in mind that Disney DOES have great facilities and if you can reserve the hours, they will keep the child while you are in port. This could just get really expensive.

A sidenote- I disagree with you Hawkeye about not bringing a child to Disney until they are 3 or 4. My daughter is still 2 and has been 3 times already. I do have to give the caveat that we are HUGE Disney fans and knew how to do the parks smartly for our daughter as well as didn't need to ride everything to feel like we were getting our money's worth because we go so much. But, she did really enjoy it and surprises us with how much she remembers from the trip.
Our last trip in April, when she was 2 and a couple months, a castmember gave her a purple foam crown and called her "princess". The other day, she found a tiny piece of the foam from the crown in the car for the first time since and held it up and said "princess!"
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will give you my pov as someone who just cruised the Med. I am a long way from having a one year old, but, the process of cruising the Med is so different from say, a Caribbean cruise I will just offer my opinion, and, it is simply that, my opinion.

To take a Med excursion, means very long days. We had an excursion that lasted 10 hrs. Long bus rides,as long as 2 hours on the bus to get to our ports as well. Car seats and a carriage would be needed

The ports we visited had cobblestone and winding streets, many have steep hills, the simple fact of pushing a carriage up and down all these elevations, has to be tiring to say the least. Rest rooms to change a baby could be challenging as well.

Doing private tours in your case, if this is doable, would be the best bet, for convenience sake.

Coming back after these long days then dinner, might make room service look good.

I hate to be a Debby downer, but, taking one so young on these port intensive long days, sounds so tough vs, a more relaxing cruise for all three of you in the Caribbean, when, if you feel you need to get back to the ship, its easy... Maybe the Med,when the child is older?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default Heat and Humidity

The only comment I have to add is think of the heat and humidity.

Annie
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
I don't know if its advice or not ... but I would say that 3 or 4 is the earliest that a child should be brought to a Disney park. Any younger than that, and they're not only not going to remember it, but not know enough going on to enjoy it. At the age of 3 or 4, they won't particularly remember it when they are older, but they are going to have a blast. Pictures help. I am sure that tidbit of advice will translate well into at least a Disney cruise, if not cruising in general.

And I say that with almost 5 years of experience working at Disney parks and resorts. I have seen it all. :-p
Hawkeye - I agree with you on the age; in fact I would probably go further- I would have a lower age limit of 3; it just is not fair on the kids.

Annie
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I have no advice to offer on a med cruise per se.

When my kids took their first cruise ~ my son was 2.5 and my daughter had just turned 4! They loved it! They keep track and refer to things that happened on their #1cruise, their #2 cruise .... this summer they are going on their #3 cruise and they are stoked!

I also disagree with Hawk-eye on Disney.

Our first trip to Disney and my son was 18 months, and my daughter was almost 3. What a way to experience the MAGIC of disney. I will say that we planned the trip to make sure the schedule and activities were appropriate. My daughter was a bit scared of the costumed characters (like Mickey). My son was in AWE. I have memories of doing the Character Spot at EPCOT and my son was just giggling .....he he, hee, hee, heeee heee heee (he was doing a pretty good beevis and butthead impression!). When my daughter met the princesses, she was just IN LOVE! It was magical. I printed out "invitations' inviting them to the character meals. The invitations would appear while we were out at the parks, and when we returned they were both sooooo excited to find out where we had been invited next. My daughter wore all of her princess gowns. I remember one night she was frantic because she was dressed in her Cinderella gown as we were off to 1900 Park Fare .... and she was frantically trying to wake her dad because she was afraid she would be late for the ball! Everywhere she went, she was called PRINCESS, and yes, she truly believed she was one! We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, and everytime my son saw the totem poll, he would start shrieking MICKEY, MICKEY, MICKEY! They loved every minute of disney from pin collecting to rides, to character meals, it truly was magic for them .... and neither had turned 3.

....ahhhhh..... good memories!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I have no advice to offer on a med cruise per se.

When my kids took their first cruise ~ my son was 2.5 and my daughter had just turned 4! They loved it! They keep track and refer to things that happened on their #1cruise, their #2 cruise .... this summer they are going on their #3 cruise and they are stoked!

I also disagree with Hawk-eye on Disney.

Our first trip to Disney and my son was 18 months, and my daughter was almost 3. What a way to experience the MAGIC of disney. I will say that we planned the trip to make sure the schedule and activities were appropriate. My daughter was a bit scared of the costumed characters (like Mickey). My son was in AWE. I have memories of doing the Character Spot at EPCOT and my son was just giggling .....he he, hee, hee, heeee heee heee (he was doing a pretty good beevis and butthead impression!). When my daughter met the princesses, she was just IN LOVE! It was magical. I printed out "invitations' inviting them to the character meals. The invitations would appear while we were out at the parks, and when we returned they were both sooooo excited to find out where we had been invited next. My daughter wore all of her princess gowns. I remember one night she was frantic because she was dressed in her Cinderella gown as we were off to 1900 Park Fare .... and she was frantically trying to wake her dad because she was afraid she would be late for the ball! Everywhere she went, she was called PRINCESS, and yes, she truly believed she was one! We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, and everytime my son saw the totem poll, he would start shrieking MICKEY, MICKEY, MICKEY! They loved every minute of disney from pin collecting to rides, to character meals, it truly was magic for them .... and neither had turned 3.

....ahhhhh..... good memories!

I agree. You just have to know your kids and what to do with them, and it can be wonderful. Great stories!
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Hawkeye - I agree with you on the age; in fact I would probably go further- I would have a lower age limit of 3; it just is not fair on the kids.

Annie
I agree too. Kids are happy at any new place, why a cruise? I honestly don't comprehend why parents think the kids really comprehend what is going on. I think it makes the parents feel less guilty so they bring them.