Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
Familiar Face

Default Disney Wonder Relo? Anyone been on ship or on this relo in the past

I am planning to go on the Disney's Wonder 14 nights departing December 9, 2012. Itinerary is shown below. I was wondering if anyone has gone on this relo in the past. This is going to sound dumb but I am a senior single and I was looking for a cruise which transited the canal and this Disney cruise popped up. I was wondering if there were going to be any activities for adults on the ship. I guess I was also looking for any guidance concerning the ports of call I have never gone to Mexico other than Cozumel or Columbia. I am naturally going to check internet sites for info about ports and the ship. I read one critique that said they didn't have a good buffet service both in quality of food and serving lines.
Finally how do they take care of adults without kids on the cruise.

Please me to any threads on Cruisemates which may have relavent info about the relo cruise.

Thank you in advance.

ITINERARY
DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Sun Dec 9 Los Angeles, CA 4:00pm
Mon Dec 10 At Sea
Tue Dec 11 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 11:00am 4:30pm
Wed Dec 12 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 10:30am 3:30pm
Thu Dec 13 At Sea
Fri Dec 14 At Sea
Sat Dec 15 At Sea
Sun Dec 16 At Sea
Mon Dec 17 Panama Canal (Full Transit) (Cruising)
Tue Dec 18 Cartagena, Colombia 8:30am 5:30pm
Wed Dec 19 At Sea
Thu Dec 20 At Sea
Fri Dec 21 Costa Maya, Mexico 7:30am 4:30pm
Sat Dec 22 At Sea
Sun Dec 23 Miami, FL 6:00am
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've sailed the Wonder a couple of times.

My wife stays buisy and I relax.. My daughter is grown and we only see her at Dinner on these cruises.

Although I have seen many seniors on Disney, they were all "into" Disney.

The food was great! I had a chance to ride on Carnival many years ago. The food on the Wonder was FAR better. The wait staff was FANTASTIC>
My last cruise was on Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving Dinner on the ship.
When the waiter gave me the nights menue I was mad... there was no pumpkin pie. Now I have NEVER had a thanksgiving without this pie. The waiter asks me how I'm doing and I told him I was disapointed in the menue.. how could they have turkey and all the trimmings without pumkin pie.
The waiter aplologised and I told him not to because he does not write the menue.
At desert he asked me what I wanted and I said nothing.. normaly they will bring you a plate with Nothing written in chocolate just to be cute and this is what I expected.
Nope, I dont know where he got it because it was not on the menue in any dining room but he appeared with pumpkin pie, just for me..

There will be people who are retired on the ship.. they may have grankids with them and they may be on their own.. but people of all ages really like the disney cruise line for a reason.
If you like the Disney theme .. go for it.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I've sailed the Wonder a couple of times.

My wife stays buisy and I relax.. My daughter is grown and we only see her at Dinner on these cruises.

Although I have seen many seniors on Disney, they were all "into" Disney.

The food was great! I had a chance to ride on Carnival many years ago. The food on the Wonder was FAR better. The wait staff was FANTASTIC>
My last cruise was on Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving Dinner on the ship.
When the waiter gave me the nights menue I was mad... there was no pumpkin pie. Now I have NEVER had a thanksgiving without this pie. The waiter asks me how I'm doing and I told him I was disapointed in the menue.. how could they have turkey and all the trimmings without pumkin pie.
The waiter aplologised and I told him not to because he does not write the menue.
At desert he asked me what I wanted and I said nothing.. normaly they will bring you a plate with Nothing written in chocolate just to be cute and this is what I expected.
Nope, I dont know where he got it because it was not on the menue in any dining room but he appeared with pumpkin pie, just for me..

There will be people who are retired on the ship.. they may have grankids with them and they may be on their own.. but people of all ages really like the disney cruise line for a reason.
If you like the Disney theme .. go for it.
Thank you for input. Wow that was extra service on the pumpkin pie. I'm afraid your the only cruisemate who responded and I am thankful that you did because your experience counters the negative report I had read. Thanks again.
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your welcome!

I really enjoy Disney. I hope I'm not too biased.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Your welcome!

I really enjoy Disney. I hope I'm not too biased.
I see that you had escargot on Thanksgiving. That is great. It sounds like Disney really went the extra mile to treat you well. Bias is deserved.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm shopping other cruise lines to broaden my perspective.

Princess is cruising out of SanFrancisco. I find this irresistible.
After paying for Disney a few times Carnival looks to be a huge savings. I can almost pack up 4 extra friends for the trip

It's hard to forget the tears of my 13 year old not wanting to leave the Disney cruise! The rotational dining brings the service level up a notch too.
It has never taken more than 2 meals for the waiters to have my needs down pat. Ice tea. No sugar Keep it full. I know this shouldn't be tough but it seems to be tough for some waiters.

I have my next cruise in just over a year.
After that one,Disney Fantasy 7 days in the carribian, I'm going either princess or carnival. Unless Disney sets up embarkation in SanFrancisco then all bets are off.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I'm shopping other cruise lines to broaden my perspective.

Princess is cruising out of SanFrancisco. I find this irresistible.
After paying for Disney a few times Carnival looks to be a huge savings. I can almost pack up 4 extra friends for the trip

It's hard to forget the tears of my 13 year old not wanting to leave the Disney cruise! The rotational dining brings the service level up a notch too.
It has never taken more than 2 meals for the waiters to have my needs down pat. Ice tea. No sugar Keep it full. I know this shouldn't be tough but it seems to be tough for some waiters.

I have my next cruise in just over a year.
After that one,Disney Fantasy 7 days in the carribian, I'm going either princess or carnival. Unless Disney sets up embarkation in SanFrancisco then all bets are off.

I figure that they are pulling the Wonder back to Florida and possibly concentrating their efforts on the East Coast. Princess is a nice line.
I always look at the ship how old is it etc. Where it is in its service life.
I cruised on the Celebrity before it was sold and it was a great cruise.

Yes those waiters must have got your orders clear. Did you get escargot on any other nights than Thanksgiving.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

If it was offered on any other nights I was in the Palo.

I can't recall it being on more than one night on either cruise.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
I figure that they are pulling the Wonder back to Florida and possibly concentrating their efforts on the East Coast. Princess is a nice line.
I always look at the ship how old is it etc. Where it is in its service life.
I cruised on the Celebrity before it was sold and it was a great cruise.

Yes those waiters must have got your orders clear. Did you get escargot on any other nights than Thanksgiving.
Wonder will only be in Miami for 5 months. There are a lot of plans for DCL in 2013, including some major dry docking of the 2 older ships. May of 2013, Wonder goes back to California again via PC.

That being said, one of my managers was just recently on the Wonder for one of her Hawaii trips and he said the ship is in pretty good shape, consideirng her age.

I haven't had a chance to look, but there's a lot of ship shuffling that will be going on soon with the Wonder and the Magic, and skuttlebutt is that DCL will exercise its 2 ship options with MW soon. (This is the umost of skuttlebutt I've heard, and should not be taken with more than a grain of salt, see my .sig at the end of this post.)

Now all that being said ... I am currently approved for all the time off for this 14n cruise as well. Just waiting for it to appear in my discount offers that become available for castmembers. It will finally be my first Disney cruise and I'm quite excited for it. By the sail date I expect to be SCUBA certified and plan to dive most of the ports. Last time I checked Cartegena was the only place that didn't have any dive excursions listed, but that could have changed.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thats fantastic news! I really want to take Disney to Hawaii.

I really enjoy the Wonder and would love to be on it for another 15 days!
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default You talked about escargot, but forgot to mention hotdogs and braut

I see that Pluto's Dog House on the Disney Wonder is an outdoor Quick Service restaurant located on Deck 9, Aft next to Mickey's Pool, serving lunch and dinner in a casual setting.

If you're craving a delicious meal for lunch or dinner without the formality of table service, or maybe you just want a quick snack between meals, Pluto's Dog House is the place for you. Featuring classic American fare the entire family is sure to enjoy, like hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken tenders, Pluto's Dog House invites you to sink your paws into a mouth-watering selection of tasty treats.

Lunch, Dinner and Snacks
Lunch, dinner and snacks is served from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. every cruise day, except during the Pirates IN the Caribbean deck party when operating hours are 11:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for specific dates and times of activities while onboard.

Although subject to change, lunch, dinner and snack food items may include:

Hamburgers
Hot Dogs
Veggie Burgers
Tacos
Chicken Tenders
Beverages
Non-alcoholic beverages are available at the 24-hour beverage station; beer, wine and mixed drinks can be purchased for an additional charge at Signals. Both venues are located on Deck 9, close to Pluto's Dog House.

What other food secrets are you keeping to yourself?
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

I prefer the grown up food at the sandwitch shop across from Plutos.

I cannot remember the name but directly across from Pluto's and right next to the ice cream is a spot to get fresh fruit and hot sandwiches made while you wait. It was run by a guy with patience to be impressed by.

I have been on the Wonder twice and never tried the room service. I am the tacky guy up before dawn in his PJ's loolking for coffee.

Your question just made me sit back and think about the Wonder. You know, I had no idea there was so much I had not done. I never went to the gameshow, inside bars, only seeen the spa once (wife was booking something in there). Im sure there are alot more.
Heck don't do what I did and wait till the last 3 days to discover adult coffee. I was getting up before the sun and getting coffee at the beverage area. This is bulk made weak coffee. It will do but I like good coffee.
They have a very nice coffee shop on board. Once I found this coffee shop I didn't want to go home. I was on vacation and treated myself to coffee I would not normally drink. The Barista was friendly and fantastic. They had a nice selection of cigars here as well. (not for me but they were there)

The coffee shop is forward at the edge of the adult area.

Dang, I really want to go on a cruise
Old July 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to say the Pirate Party they throw is a blast.

After two cruises I have started shopping for pirate shwag just for Disney cruises. The pirate stuff on board is totally geared to the kids. I 'm not really into wearing goofy ears
If you like "Disney", pin trading is in full play on board. I have a decent sized pin collection. I have a blast with the crew trading pins. Animal is my prized pin.
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I prefer the grown up food at the sandwitch shop across from Plutos.

I cannot remember the name but directly across from Pluto's and right next to the ice cream is a spot to get fresh fruit and hot sandwiches made while you wait. It was run by a guy with patience to be impressed by.

I have been on the Wonder twice and never tried the room service. I am the tacky guy up before dawn in his PJ's loolking for coffee.

Your question just made me sit back and think about the Wonder. You know, I had no idea there was so much I had not done. I never went to the gameshow, inside bars, only seeen the spa once (wife was booking something in there). Im sure there are alot more.
Heck don't do what I did and wait till the last 3 days to discover adult coffee. I was getting up before the sun and getting coffee at the beverage area. This is bulk made weak coffee. It will do but I like good coffee.
They have a very nice coffee shop on board. Once I found this coffee shop I didn't want to go home. I was on vacation and treated myself to coffee I would not normally drink. The Barista was friendly and fantastic. They had a nice selection of cigars here as well. (not for me but they were there)

The coffee shop is forward at the edge of the adult area.

Dang, I really want to go on a cruise
Is the adult coffee shop open 24-7 or does it open for limited times. If you were out early it sounds like it is open early or were drinking that child coffee.

Ok say that I don't want to opt out of the restaurant routing What is your opinion of Beach Blanket Buffet offers a selection of fine food for everyone in your family. Although subject to change, dinnertime menu items include signature dishes from the Main Dining restaurants and casual dining specials.

Maybe if you wish upon a star and come up with a wad of Disney cash you could take a cruise. Dagnabit. Bazinga.
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, the coffe shop isn't open 24/7.

I an an early riser so I had to wait most mornings.

I need to wish apon the lottery to make that relo
I still have to pay for next July and Dec.
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
No, the coffe shop isn't open 24/7.

I an an early riser so I had to wait most mornings.

I need to wish apon the lottery to make that relo
I still have to pay for next July and Dec.
I contacted Scrooge McDuck about your financial situation. He said he would loan you Disney dollars at a 50% interest rate compounded monthly for Disney ship trips - sounds like your local friendly banker.

I see that you have a trip booked for next summer and can't wait. If I had a choice and the ship was going through the Canal I would take one of the new Disney ships so that I could ride those squirel tunnel water tubes. They look like fun.