CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disney (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/)
-   -   Bed bugs in Disney cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/398331-bed-bugs-disney-cruises.html)

vulkan1 August 9th, 2013 03:52 AM

Bed bugs in Disney cruises

We just came back from a Disney Cruise in the Mediterranean (Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Malta) July 25 to August 6. The trip itself was awesome (food, entertainment, service, excursions, etc.) but we had the nasty visit of bed bugs. I got more than 100 bites; my wife nearly a hundred. The frist day I got bites I thought it could have been mosquitos while onshore, so did not report it, but the second day I was covered by dozens of bites. When reported the crew did find bed bugs. They did on the same day change us to a better room and offered medical treatment (and they washed all of our clothes too at high temperature, just in case). However, their only compensation was 150 US$ per person. After we moved to the new room no one ever asked us how we were doing.

The room next to ours had also bed bugs. The people there were also moved.

aerospace August 9th, 2013 11:03 PM

:shock:

I think I'd consider getting off the ship...yuck

Snoozeman August 10th, 2013 12:21 AM

Very rare occurrence on ship. much more common in hotel.

I wonder if sailing it Europe had anything to do with it...I guess it did.

Trip August 10th, 2013 08:19 AM

Boy are you lucky, they had a free cabins...You know of two instances, which to my mind means many more, so imagine being the last one to complain,and finding they ran out of cabins..:(

The buggers can be picked up in luggage and do a world tour, so being just a Europe issue is doubtful..Our own Kuki was on a cruise that had an outbreak several years back...:(

As far as your compensation, I think it's fair,and they did do your laundry etc...Not asking how it was going, might have been just an oversight.

Akali August 19th, 2013 09:08 PM

We experience bed bugs once because of a house guest who had previously stayed at a hotel. It was once of the worst experiences I've found, especially since we only found one bedbug so the extermination company wanted to write it off as a fluke even though we were getting bites. 6 months later they were gone. This shouldn't be an issue on a cruise but accidents happen. They should have continued to check on you especially since the bugs could have moved with you!! Eekk...

Queen of Oakville September 20th, 2013 12:45 PM

I disagree. The cruise line can't be responsible. They have 3000 or more passengers coming and going each week. its the passengers that bring them on board - just like noro.

The cruiseline can't be blamed for what we do. I'm not saying its the OPs fault, but someone before him brought the bugs on the ship.

I'm sorry this happened to the op. Just curious as to what you think fair compensation would be?

storybookcruises.com September 20th, 2013 03:24 PM

Since the OP only made one post to complain and then never posted again, I don't think we should be paying this alot of attention since no one else seems to have ever had a problem like this on a cruise ship. In 11-1/2 years of doing this and having sold thousands of cruises, I've never heard of a problem of this magnitude. It just appears to me that it's not a problem. It's very possible the OP came on here because they wanted to stir up trouble without actually having a problem. If they would have been bitten over 100 times, as they claimed, and others had the same problem, more than likely there would have been some mention by other passengers or the press, and I can find nothing anywhere.

JMHO.

Pete

Dave Beers September 20th, 2013 04:38 PM

It's also funny how this story is not mentioned on Ross Klein's cruisejunkie site. He posts every little thing that happens on a cruise as if it is the beginning of Armageddon, but somehow missed cabins full of bed bugs on Disney?

Snoozeman September 20th, 2013 04:50 PM

One hit wonder.....

Bed bugs are extremely rare on a cruise ship.

Manuel September 24th, 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1485068)

[ Bed bugs are extremely rare on a cruise ship.

They probably don't care for ocean voyages. LOL

TM

tizalee October 1st, 2013 01:17 AM

Now time is for regular cruises. Ships do cruise regularly in these days. So they wont get time to wash or clean the rooms. So it is obvious to get bed bugs. But it is very rare.