CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disney (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/)
-   -   Disney Now Allows Shorts in Main Dining Rooms - Even on Formal Night (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disney/398472-disney-now-allows-shorts-main-dining-rooms-even-formal-night.html)

storybookcruises.com August 19th, 2013 03:38 PM

Disney Now Allows Shorts in Main Dining Rooms - Even on Formal Night

Here's the story;

Disney Cruise Line to allow shorts in dining rooms - Disney Cruise Line News

Pete

Queen of Oakville August 19th, 2013 04:57 PM

Disney is a different beast. Even on formal night, you see such a mixed bag. Many people dress more for their dining rotation than anything else. Some families dress up everynight, others not so much.

I remember on Dream, we were dressed and on our way to dinner, when we saw a couple of people (very few) in tuxes. Turns out it was formal night, but there was no real mention of it. Not like on other ships, where the waitstaff tell you the night before, and the CD announces it 50 times during the day.

Trip August 19th, 2013 05:00 PM

The cruise lines don't want to fight this fight anymore.

samywelsby January 27th, 2014 02:54 AM

This is great news for someone like me who loves to wear shorts.

steve barbarich

aerospace January 27th, 2014 05:19 AM

Every ship has multiple main dining rooms and different levels. If you go in formal they direct you to the left, if your wearing shorts go right.

Seems easy as pie.

storybookcruises.com January 27th, 2014 12:16 PM

Well, based on our cruise on the Carnival Glory in December, people are now allowed to be wearing shorts there as well, even on formal night!

Had a guy walk into the dining room in front of me wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops!! And this was on formal night. When I asked the matre'd if such attire was allowed, her comment was, "We no longer stop them or confront them."

The next night, I watched 3 guys walk into the dining room wearing muscle t-shirts (no arms). Rather disgusting, actually. And then in the specialty restaurant, Emerald Steakhouse, we were told proper attire was 'cruise elegant', yet the guy sitting behind us was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and a baseball hat that he kept on throughout the entire dinner!

Yes, this was Carnival and other cruise lines are better, but I imagine it won't be too long before formal night and nice attire for dinner is a thing of the past.

Pete

Manuel January 27th, 2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1493939)

Well, based on our cruise on the Carnival Glory in December, people are now allowed to be wearing shorts there as well, even on formal night!

Pete

Is that boxers or briefs. rofl

TM

Travelbuggs January 31st, 2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1493939)

Had a guy walk into the dining room in front of me wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops!! And this was on formal night. When I asked the matre'd if such attire was allowed, her comment was, "We no longer stop them or confront them."

The next night, I watched 3 guys walk into the dining room wearing muscle t-shirts (no arms). Rather disgusting, actually. And then in the specialty restaurant, Emerald Steakhouse, we were told proper attire was 'cruise elegant', yet the guy sitting behind us was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and a baseball hat that he kept on throughout the entire dinner!

Yes, this was Carnival and other cruise lines are better, but I imagine it won't be too long before formal night and nice attire for dinner is a thing of the past.

Pete

I am sure people think that Norwegian, with their Freestyle concept would be as relaxed as Carnival when it come to dress in the MDR, but actually NCL does enforce a dress code in the MDR for dinner. No tank tops, shorts, caps or open toed shoes for men. You can wear dockers or jeans, collared shirts requested, but shorts will be turned away. Same dress code in one of the specialty restaurants, but in the others, shorts are allowed.

I am very happy with this, but I have heard reports of people, probably teens, wearing pajama bottoms to the buffet. I am all for comfort, but that is a little too much for me.:rolleyes:.

storybookcruises.com February 1st, 2014 03:14 AM

Yep, really surprised us, too! Never on any cruise had we witnessed something like that and like you mentioned, we've seen people denied entrance into the dining room not dressed appropriately.

And what really got me is that we were called the day before our reservation in the Emerald Steakhouse to remind us of our reservation and the lady told us that appropriate attire in the specialty restaurant was 'cruise elegant'. I asked her what it meant and she said nice cocktail attire would do nicely. Imagine our surprise when I showed up in a blue blazer, Oxford shirt, and Dockers, while my wife wore a nice cocktail dress and we were the most overdressed people in the restaurant! There was only one other gentleman wearing a jacket and most the guys were wearing golf shirts. The guy behind us was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers, and a baseball hat that he wore during the entire meal - not what I would call 'cruise elegant'.

Pete

Travelbuggs February 1st, 2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1494214)
Yep, really surprised us, too! Never on any cruise had we witnessed something like that and like you mentioned, we've seen people denied entrance into the dining room not dressed appropriately. The guy behind us was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers, and a baseball hat that he wore during the entire meal - not what I would call 'cruise elegant'.

Pete

Yeah, but that WAS his "cruise elegant" attire. You are lucky he did not come in his "cruise casual"!;)

One of the biggest complaints I hear is that cruise lines have rules and then don't enforce them, even when the rule breaker is pointed out by others. It can be regarding dress, smoking, chair reserving, you name it.

storybookcruises.com February 1st, 2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelbuggs (Post 1494230)
Yeah, but that WAS his "cruise elegant" attire. You are lucky he did not come in his "cruise casual"!;)

One of the biggest complaints I hear is that cruise lines have rules and then don't enforce them, even when the rule breaker is pointed out by others. It can be regarding dress, smoking, chair reserving, you name it.

Got that right!!

We were on a cruise several years ago, can't remember which one, but there were kids in the adult-only pool and even after many complaints from passengers, none of the crew would tell the parents they were not allowed in there! And because the kids were screaming, running, and jumping in the pool, no one was able to enjoy a quiet retreat or the pool, so it ruined it for everyone.

Alot of people certainly leave their common sense, manners, respect, and courtesy at home when going on a cruise!

Just wish they were required to wear their signs so the rest of us were aware of it ahead of time and can avoid them. You know the one I'm talking about..... the sign that says, "I'm an idiot!"

Pete

Beermam42 July 1st, 2014 02:27 AM

Veteran DCL Cruiser

Yes you can wear shorts in the MDR anytime. They did on formal night on the May 31, Fatasy Cruise. We were dressed up but I have no problem with this. We use this night for family picture time now have done this on two cruises. Get a bunch of professional pictures taken for a lot less than it would cost at home. With some great backgrounds.
Like the rest of society dress up is going away slowly on board. I go back to when you got dress up to get on plane.
Its OK and it is society changing.
But please no naket people most of us need cover. 8-)