Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default San Diego Help

We are departing from San Diego on the Mercury. Our cruise does not leave port until 8:00pm so we would like to board the ship and then leave again to purchase some soft drinks and bottled water to take back onboard with us. Anyone know someplace within walking distance of the terminal to do this?

Jan
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM

tealady

as you can see some post never get a reply. many of mine are still missing any help . although i have not been to san diego i will be sailing from there on a future cruise so i have doing ALOT of research for things to do and a place to spend the night. i read alot of members mention a grocerie store called ralph's ( i looked it up on the internet and they have alot of stores in the downtown area ). also across the street from the bestwestern bayside inn on ash and 5th ( 3 blocks from the dock ) is a drug store. i would think the holiday inn 1 block from the ship would also have a gift shop for picking up any supplies you might need. there should be 7/11's and such around there also. i hope you find a place that is close.

are you staying the night before or flying in the day of the cruise.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Admiral

It's an easy walk from the terminal to a fair part of downtown San Diego. When you get off the ship, just follow your nose and you'll bump into all sorts of shopping very quickly.

No problems at all.
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
It's an easy walk from the terminal to a fair part of downtown San Diego. When you get off the ship, just follow your nose and you'll bump into all sorts of shopping very quickly.

No problems at all.
thanks for the reply ar . we are thinking of staying at either the holiday inn on the bay ( a little pricey for me ) or the best western bayside inn ( the one on 5th and ash ). i am choosing these because they are close to the ship and we want to be able to do some shopping and get to a great reasurant easily for our pre-cruise stay. i am glad to hear it will be easy for us to do that.

cant wait for feb of 2007 to get here.
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR

No problems at all.
thanks for the reply ar . we are thinking of staying at either the holiday inn on the bay ( a little pricey for me ) or the best western bayside inn ( the one on 5th and ash ). i am choosing these because they are close to the ship and we want to be able to do some shopping and get to a great reasurant easily for our pre-cruise stay. i am glad to hear it will be easy for us to do that.

oooppppss. i forgot that since they have changed over i get kicked off the site each time i leave it even though i have changed every thing in my profile.

so this is antron trying to help and saying thanks to ar--

cant wait for feb of 2007 to get here.
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

I was just down there Wednesday and noticed there is a Hampton Inn and Residence Inn very close to the port also. They looked very nice.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
I was just down there Wednesday and noticed there is a Hampton Inn and Residence Inn very close to the port also. They looked very nice.
thanks ca cruiser, i will check them out also. since we are going to be going on a mexican riviera cruise the following day we want to get in some shopping at the boutiques and shops downtown. we will doing alot of mexican shopping on the cruise. getting a new bathing suit from a neat san diego shop is one of the things on our '' priority list '' .
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:18 AM
First Mate

The Ralph's downtown (chain grocery store) is the only large grocery in the area. It is about 8 blocks from the pier on Market street (between 3rd and 2nd). You can easily take a regular cab, or one of the pedicabs available when a ship is in port.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD
The Ralph's downtown (chain grocery store) is the only large grocery in the area. It is about 8 blocks from the pier on Market street (between 3rd and 2nd). You can easily take a regular cab, or one of the pedicabs available when a ship is in port.
thanks for letting me know where ralph's is. we will need wine and soda before we board