Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Default post cruise stay in San Francisco

We hope to stay for a couple of extra days in San Francisco after our Mexican Riviera cruise..we're debating about whether to stay in a hotel around Fisherman's Wharf or elsewhere..we're leaning towards this area because it seems to be close to everything. ARe there any grocery stores or supermarkets in the area too? We won't be able to eat at restaurants all the time and we'd be happy just to have a sandwich for lunch and save our money for sightseeing in this beautiful city!

Any advice would be appreciated..re hotels or areas to stay in.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Camellia,

My wife and I stayed in San Francisco for 3 evenings after our cruise this past spring. We stayed at a hotel on Lombard Street, a few blocks west of Van Ness. It is about a $10 taxi ride from the cruise ship pier and there are a number of hotels which are much less expensive than the Fisherman Wharf area. There are a number of restaurants in the area, particularly as you get toward Union and Fillmore.

Fishermans Wharf is about a 15 minute walk and there are buses on Van Ness that will take you to the Union Square area.

Didn't see any large supermarkets but there are a number of smaller Mom and Pop stores in the area.

Good luck and enjoy both the cruise and SF.

PS - My oldest son and daughter-in-law (younger and more Yuppie) also stay in this general area when they visit.

Chuck3
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Gillian from South Africa

Default San Francisco

Hi

Spent a little time in SF last year and had to choose a budget hotel but always try get LOCATION.

If the previous writers hotel is only a 15 minute walk to Fishermans Wharf - its viable. Unless there are HILLS involved. I only remember the portion of Lambard Strret that makes it the bendiest street in the world - AND I remember climbing the hill on the othe side to get to the top of it!

We stayed at the Travelodge which is very basic but quite convenient. To Fishermans Wharf, the trolley stops etcetera. VERY near some of the bigger chain hotels.

Someone advised me to look at staying near Union Square but others said not - and I have to agree with that. Union Square seemed very retail. Good for daytime exploration. Fishermans Wharf had the night time buzz. As might some of the other areas - accessible by the old trolley from Fishermans Wharf and / or busses. Well worth investigating I think. Hopefully someone else will reply to this site who knows more.

Cant recall supermarkets - but there are some cheaper burger places and I am sure if you go a little away from Fishermans Wharf you will find more of the locals facilities.

A tip - IF you want to go to Alcatraz book (try) as soon as you can There was a 3 day wait when we booked and although we were there 3 days we didnt know and only went to get tickets the last day so lost out.

Enjoy
Regards
Gillian
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Hope it's not too late but we h ave a great hotel in S.F. that we use...The Andrews...the is a free continental breakfast on each floor in the a.m. which should hold you over during the day.. in the evening there is a glass of wine in their Fino restaurant.. and the last time we were there they had a special menu for guests of the hotel...The Andrews is on Post Street and two blocks from Union Square and a flew blocks over from China Town
Feel free to contct me parrotmom@comcast.net