Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Default Independant tours in Vancouver

My husband and I are going on the REPO cruise on RCCL, Radiance of the Seas out of SanDeigo, May 12. Post Cruise we are staying in Vancouver -1 night (we have to get back to our 2 children . We are interested in doing some touring, but don't necessarly want to book through RCCL. Can anyone suggest a good tour company that we can use? Specifically, we would like to get picked up at our Hyatt hotel and go around town.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Admiral

We did this same cruise in 2005 on the Radiance. It was wonderful!!! We also stayed at the Hyatt and loved the restaurant upstairs, Mosaiacs. We went on the double decker bus tour which takes you all over the area, 21 stops, including Granville Island, Gastown, Chinatown. You can get on and off ALL DAY long. We bought our ticket, $30 US, at the Hyatt's conciege desk with our credit card which does the $ conversion for you and the ticket is good for 2 days. We use the 2nd day 5 months later! The double decker bus stop is right out the door at the back of the Hyatt down the escalator, very convienent. There is another tour bus of the city which covers the same area but we were having much more fun than they were and for half the price. Enjoy!

Edited to add website: http://www.gotobus.com/graylinevanco...2_daypass.html

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Beginner

One option might be to do a self-guided walking audio tour. Take a CD player with you with speakers so you both can listen. Pre-load a tour on a CD (search the web for audio tours Vancouver City). There is one company that offers tours of Gastown and Vancouver City.
Offers the flexibility for you to see/do what you want and not get locked into a group tour.
Good luck!
Nanaimo Tour Guide
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Vancouver is a awesome city. True, it has been 21 years since I was there, but Canada Place was part of Expo 86 and following that it was a cruise terminal. Vancouver is an easy city to get around since if you stay on Robson you can find China Town, Gastown, and walk far enough you get to Stanley park and the sea wall walk. I would be caution since some of the areas are still where the homless and drug dealers hang out--near Chinatown and Gastown. Vancouver Aquarium is a good place to visit, alas, they do not have a killer whale show anymore, but do have a dolphin and beluga show....

Enjoy Vancouver and Alaska!
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Default Vancouver

Just back from there.

SeaBus from One Canada Place to North Vancouver = $2.25c
Nice views and you can connect to transportation to get up to the swinging bridge.

Sky Train to or from One Canada Place (Waterfront) = $2.25c
Can connect to the Vancouver Amtrak station and some good views since it is an elevated (L) train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
Vancouver is a awesome city. True, it has been 21 years since I was there, but Canada Place was part of Expo 86 and following that it was a cruise terminal. Vancouver is an easy city to get around since if you stay on Robson you can find China Town, Gastown, and walk far enough you get to Stanley park and the sea wall walk. I would be caution since some of the areas are still where the homless and drug dealers hang out--near Chinatown and Gastown. Vancouver Aquarium is a good place to visit, alas, they do not have a killer whale show anymore, but do have a dolphin and beluga show....

Enjoy Vancouver and Alaska!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Driving a car in Vancouver until late 2009 will bea nightmare. There is lot of construction going on . The double decker bus is probably the best way to see the city. If you there on a week-end a daily transit pass costs about
$4 Ca . This lets you use all transit in the Greater Vancouver Transit Area.
this including the Sea Bus , Skytrain and all the other lines.

I grew up in Van and when I'm visiting I try to use transit. I find parking is really bad in the downtown core and most tourist areas.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Independant tours in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzieb616
Can anyone suggest a good tour company that we can use? Specifically, we would like to get picked up at our Hyatt hotel and go around town.
Thanks!
We used this company in August. The PreCruise Highlights...were very satisfied. They took our big luggage right to the ship, so all we had was our cruise docs and carry-ons to care for.

They will pick you up, are punctual and the tour is comprehensive and interesting! It included a substantial amount of time for us to explore Granville Island, which is like a shopping Bazaar!

http://www.vancouvertours.com/
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)