Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Default FLL to Miami--am I crazy?

We're planning to sail out of Miami on the Norwegian Jewel next April, and I'm trying to make my plans. It seems like we can get a cheaper flight from our home airport to Fort Lauderdale than we can to Miami (and I mean A LOT cheaper, like $150-200 per ticket). We're planning to fly in the night before the cruise, so we'll have plenty of time to get to the port.
So, if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, stay in a hotel near the airport, and travel to Miami the next morning, ummm...what's the best way to get to the port? Will we be able to get a taxi? If so, what would it cost? We'd like to avoid renting a car, but is that our only option? Can anyone help?

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can take a taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, I think it's around $70.00, you can probably get a ballpark figure from them, Yellow Cab or Checker, I believe. It is only a 1/2 hour ride (in good traffic conditions) from Fort Lauderdale to the Port of Miami. There are lots of limo services in the area if you want more personalized service and the Port of Miami Shuttle runs from Fort Lauderdale to Miami. I think they charge $32/person/one way. They should have a web site if you want to check them out. Also, do a Google search for transportation services from Fort Lauderdale hotels to the Port.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yeoman

Hi Jenn3024,
You are not crazy at all We are doing the same thing.

First get a holel in Miami. The flights into FLL are cheaper but the hotels are more expensive.

Book well in advance and rent yourself a car. You will be able to get around for the 24 hours before your trip. A lot of the car rental places then have shuttle service to the pier.

We are saving a ton of money this way on transportation. Carla
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did the same thing - Flew into FLL, but we took a taxi to a Miami hotel and then the next morning took a taxi to the port.

Friends recently flew into FLL, rented a car at the airport - returned the car the next morning at the Miami airport and took the shuttle from there.
I believe there are rental stations closed to the port they could have used.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the help, everyone. I think we'll be doing the taxi thing for one simple reason--the flight we'll need to take won't get into FLL until almost midnight. I'd love to be on an earlier flight, but the airport with the best deals is about 2 hours from our house--and our wedding won't be over until about 2 PM. I can't see going through the hassle of renting a car so late at night and for such a short amount of time, and besides, I can get lost in a paper bag and my fiance isn't much better. So, maybe next time....

Jenn
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

You mention you were sailing on NCL Jewel. NCL will sell you transfers from FLL to Miami for $20 each. We did this last year. All they need is you flight number. We flew in a day early, and our hotel shuttle service took us back to the airport in the AM to get on the bus to the pier.
We too are flying into FLL instead of Miami. Savings are $100 per person and there is 4 of us in my family sailing on the Pearl Nov 30,2007. I wouldn't mind staying in a hotel in FLL, but my young adult daughters want to check out the night life in SoBe. So my extra savings will go toward a nice hotel in Miami
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also fogot to mention Airport Express shuttle service from the FLL airport. Don't know their hours, but you might want to check them out.
www.floridalimo.com
They offer shuttles, limos and towncars.
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I live across from MIA pier, always use floridalimo. But you must RECONFIRM your res. day before.! Stay in South Beach, same distance to ship & so much more exciting. FLL-SoBe shuttle usually around$18 plus tip. One of few hotel shuttles owned by Southbeachhotelgroup.com. Several Deco hotels. ) Do not know if they pickup FLL. I just did Spring TA on Jewel & next 12 day Greece, Egypt leg. 27 days, loved it hadnt been on NCL in years. Vastly improved! Bon Voyage.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Jenn, lots of cruisers do what you are doing,personally we much prefer to fly into and stay in Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. Ft. Lauderdale airport is so much easier to deal with than Miami, there are lots of hotels within a 10 minute cab ride from the airport and if you stay on 17th Street you can walk to the grocery, liquor, drugstore, restaurants and a strip mall safely.
The easiest way to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami is to use a shuttle service
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Another way

As things worked out - we flew into Miami for a Miami cruise, and got a great deal for two days in a Fort Lauderdale hotel. We decided to go via public transportation from Miami airport to our hotel. Easy
We took the shuttle bus from the airport to the train. Took the train up to Fort Lauderdale - caught the city bus, transfered at main terminal. and caught another bus to the front of our hotel on the 17th St Causeway.
Getting to our ship in Miami we reversed that trip and caught the shuttle from Miami airport to the cruise lines. as we were running late and didn't want to miss the ship. We could have taken public transportation most of the way to the ship.
Miami and area has excellent inexpensive public transportation. The money we saved by using mostly public transportation was better applied to a nice snorkel trip out of Ocho Rios.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Familiar Face

Renting the car is the best. Avis does really well without any drop fee. Use C031529 AWD discount code to save some money
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: FLL to Miami--am I crazy?

$30.00 Fort Lauderdale
Airport Shuttle
Express Shuttle Service to
Port of Miami
All inclusive rate!

Let's see that would make it $120 for two RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3024
We're planning to sail out of Miami on the Norwegian Jewel next April, and I'm trying to make my plans. It seems like we can get a cheaper flight from our home airport to Fort Lauderdale than we can to Miami (and I mean A LOT cheaper, like $150-200 per ticket). We're planning to fly in the night before the cruise, so we'll have plenty of time to get to the port.
So, if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, stay in a hotel near the airport, and travel to Miami the next morning, ummm...what's the best way to get to the port? Will we be able to get a taxi? If so, what would it cost? We'd like to avoid renting a car, but is that our only option? Can anyone help?

Jenn
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: FLL to Miami--am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
$30.00 Fort Lauderdale
Airport Shuttle
Express Shuttle Service to
Port of Miami
All inclusive rate!

Let's see that would make it $120 for two RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3024

Check with NCl for transfers from FLL airport to the port of Miami. We did that last year, they only need your flight number when you set up the transfer. We flew in the day before also, so we were afraid our flight number might mess things up, but the flights that were arriving the next morning (same day as the cruise) had the same flight number from our departing city. This Nov. we will be flying into FLL a day before our cruise but we be staying in So. Beach, so we will be using the Airport Express Shuttle to take us to our hotel. But when we return from our cruise we will be getting a transfer (one way) from the Port of Miami to FLL airport. They are charging us $25 a person for a one way transfer to FLL.
(the Airport Express Shuttle service doesn't pick up at the Port of Miami)
Jenn
RCI Radiance of the Seas