Need advice for London, England
We are doing our first Europe cruise in August. This is totally new to us so we need lots help from our fellow CruiseMates. We always get travel insurance. For this cruise it is over $500! But it’s better to be safe than sorry especially spending this much $.
1. We are cruising out of Harwich, England but want to stay in London two days before cruise; which airport should we fly into? Heathrow or Gatwick?
2. Do we book our air and hotel or let RCI do it. We have always done these ourselves to get better prices and times.
3. Do we pre-arrange transfers from airport to hotel?
4. Best way to get from London to Harwich?
5. Do we need to get currency for the different ports; Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia and Estonia? In Canada, we always used our credit card and let them do the exchange for us for a small fee. Should we do the same?
Any other advice or things we need to know?
Re: Need advice for London, England
1)LHR is closer to central London but you can get there from LGW also
2)I would book your own it would be cheaper than the cruise line
3)you could take the bus to the Tube or just a taxi if you don't want to pre book
5) it depends on what you are going to do in those countires ...in Bergen we had to get local currency to ride the Floban we used out debit card in the ATM at the bank
Tallin some places take USD but Macdonalds want local currency
Russia takes USD in most places
We just used the ATM in Denmark got enough for food etc for any large purchases use CC.
Be sure to notify you credit card company that you will be travelling so they do not freeze your account
Thanks for the fast reply and great information. If I have more ?? I know where to come.
I would fly directly into Heathrow because for little money you purchase an all day pass to ride the tube (subway) from the airport to your hotel stop. There are tube maps in the subways so you know on which carrier to embark. We have stayed in the Kensington area and got off the tube right at the hotel street. You could go to tripadvisor.com and look for hotels there- most of the information concerning the hotelws will tell you which tube stop to disembark. To arrive in Harwich, I would take the tube to the train station and purchase a round trip ticket to the port area. Again, you may opt to overight in Harwich or arrive on the same day you embark. It is really very simple and we have planned and done our own arrangements many times. Have a wonderful trip.
we stayed in london for a weekend and stayed in the hilton hotel in half moon street,it's quite inexpensive and a short stroll through a city park (green park),thats just across the road from the hotel,brings you to buckingham palace.we asked a taxi(cab) to bring us to harrords from outside the hotel and were told that it was only a ten minuite walk away and walking would be quicker.also use the red tourist buses very cheap and brings you to all the major tourist sites with good commentary.why not contact the tourist board in london and get them to send out some information and remember that if you want to ride on londons' eye the big wheel you should pre-book it as we missed out on this as it was all booked up that weekend,one tour i would highly recommend is london tower you can get there on the red bus but get a ferry boat down the thames back.hope you have a wonderful time!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1