CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation/Debarkation Ports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/)
-   -   Miami Port / Dogs near passengers? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/344864-miami-port-dogs-near-passengers.html)

Miamicruiser January 15th, 2008 02:22 PM

Miami Port / Dogs near passengers?

Hi, i was wondering if any of you knew if there were security dogs at the Port of Miami? My 4 year old has a HUGE fear of dogs. It is a problem a lot of places we go. We recently took a trip to Europe and there were some dogs in the airport (They were even far away) and she flipped a lid and caused a big commotion.

I just want to know what to expect with her behavior. Thanks......

rinker250 January 15th, 2008 02:26 PM

I don't remeber seeing any dogs there in February of '07.

My wife, too, is afraid of big dogs and would definitely have brought them to my attention.

Miamicruiser January 15th, 2008 02:35 PM

Thank you for your help!

ScurvyDog January 15th, 2008 03:37 PM

There are dogs at the Port Of Miami but I have never seen them anywhere near a passenger. Normally you would not even see them.

lulu48 January 15th, 2008 05:37 PM

I seem to remember seeing one in Feb a little beagle with the DEA
Maybe mention it to the ship's personnel before you disembark they may be able to check and see if any are in the port area.

Donna January 15th, 2008 07:49 PM

A few years ago, I did see dogs there, but the last few times, I haven't. Its really for everyones protection, hopefully they won't be near people.

TravelBugs February 6th, 2008 07:45 PM

Re: Miami Port / Dogs near passengers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miamicruiser
Hi, i was wondering if any of you knew if there were security dogs at the Port of Miami? My 4 year old has a HUGE fear of dogs. It is a problem a lot of places we go. We recently took a trip to Europe and there were some dogs in the airport (They were even far away) and she flipped a lid and caused a big commotion.

I just want to know what to expect with her behavior. Thanks......

Poor thing. I hope your child grows out of it or gets over the fear via some other way.

misguidedangel February 14th, 2008 07:14 PM

Last September the sniffer dog, a very handsome black lab, was checking out the luggage only, not passengers.

I am curious, why is your daughter afraid of dogs? Was she bitten or scared early on? I was bitten by a collie mix when I was 5, but I didn't have any problems, probably because my own dog (a mini poodle) and any my cousins poodle would snap and bite at me any chance they could. I didn't have a problem with other breeds, but the poodles I knew, good grief! Have you considered getting her help to get over her fear. I have to admit, some dogs do scare me, but you can usually tell when you look at then for a few seconds of they are friendly or not. Personally, I am a cat person, but I do like dogs (cats eat less, easier to care for, and easier to cuddle/snuggle when you need a snuggle/cuddle!).

The only thing you can do if she can't get over th e fear is to tell her the dogs are there to work and they will not interact with you, even if they are sniffing you out waiting at baggage claim. A child freaking out is a sure way to get yourself checked by customs.....

bahamamomma February 25th, 2008 01:41 PM

Just returned from a cruise - Port of Miami, Feb 17- 2008 when picking up my luggage there was a DEA person and his German Shepherd - he was having the dog sniff the luggage. I was close enough I could have reached out and touched. The handler was between myself and the dog.