CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation/Debarkation Ports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/)
-   -   FLL Taxi Scam (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/345644-fll-taxi-scam.html)

Bandit January 28th, 2008 04:17 PM

FLL Taxi Scam

We needed taxi service to FLL airport from Port Everglades on 1/ 26. We used Yellow Cab the previous week several times and had good service (always metered). The driver wanted $30 to take us to the airport. I knew this was an excessive amount and asked that the meter be turned on, but he refused. We tried to get out of the car but he took off. After I became upset he changed his price to $15. He mumbled angrily the entire way and drove very fast. I'm in the process of filing a complaint.
Beware of Yellow Cab #299

Donna January 28th, 2008 08:01 PM

Wow, how horrible, I hope you get some reply back on your complaint....Just goes to show, there are always a few bad apples....

TravelBugs February 6th, 2008 08:42 PM

Yellow cab #299...got it. Do cabbies always take the same cab? I'd hate to get that same cab driver in another cab! We're cruising next week.

Let us know how you make out with your complaint.

Bandit February 7th, 2008 01:37 PM

I filed a complaint last week with Broward County Consumer Affairs. I also mailed a copy to Yellow Cab. I haven't received a reply yet! I'm not sure if drivers use same cab. The fare should have been approx. $8.00 from the port using a metered cab. I met a lady at the airport that told me thats what she paid for 4 people/1 taxi.

Paul Motter April 3rd, 2008 08:08 AM

Bandit - we had the exact same thing happen to us. Our cabbie was brutal! we were a couple, and I was getting out at one terminal and my partner a later one. I got out and he said "$15" and I said "Oh really? well wait right here because I am going to get a policeman to talk about this."

He got back in his car and drove off WITH MY PARTNER IN THE CAR! She was screaming out the window "heelppppppp"

He drove up to her terminal, opened the trunk and toss her bags out, then he reached in the car and pulled her out, too. She was so scared she fell out on the ground. Then he sped away.

Always make sure they turn on the meter as soon as they start driving. If they don't tell them you know the usual price from the Port to FLL is no more than $8.

Bandit April 3rd, 2008 12:32 PM

I finally received a reply back from Consumer Affairs. Yellow Cab (Manager) would not verify that #299 was at port that day, so file was closed. I didn't ask for compensation, only that this complaint be on file. This board is the best way to inform the public about dishonest people!!!

Dannyboy July 19th, 2008 04:54 PM

Taxi

All taxi's are regulated via meter, If your cab driver fails to set meter, he can not charge for fare.
Next time take pictures with camera phone.

Dannyboy September 15th, 2008 11:12 PM

Taxi charge as of July 2008

Taxi Fares in Fort Lauderdale as of July 2008

All information is based on current availible web-sites and google maps.
Your cost may vary depending on all varible circumstances with traffic and street routes traveled.

Fuel Surcharge Add $1.00 per passenger
The fees for metered fares are as follows: $4.50 for the first 1/6 mile, (includes the $2.00 airport origination fee) and $.40 each additional 1/6 mile which equals $6.90 for the first mile and $2.40 for each additional mile. Waiting time is $.40 per minute.