Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Baltimore, MD questions

How long does it take to reacch the Francis Scott Keys bridge once you leave port at Balitmore?

How long does it take to go all the way through the Chesapeak bay - 'til you reach open water?

Is there anything of interest to see while sailing down the bay?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Beginner

It takes about 1/2 hour to reach the Key Bridge. I think its about 2 hours to reach the Bay Bridge in Annaopolis. Most ships leave about 4 and I think reach the 3rd bridge (Chesapeake Bay Bridge?) that's 1/2 out of water 1/2 under water about 10 pm (possibly midnight).

You can see coastline for at least the first 2 hours. After that we're listening to music or its getting dark that I haven't paid much attention to it.

I know later in the evening (9:30-10:30 time frame) you can see what looks like could be the one of the air firce bases off the coast.

If you'r up in time coming back (like 5 am) its fun to watch the sun come up over the bridges as you come back toward Baltimore.
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Thanks Peggy! That's helps a lot! We will not be returning to Baltimore on this cruise. It's a repo cruise.

Now at least I know we can plan to go to dinner that first night. We have early seating but if there's not much to see after the first couple hours, we'll plan to go to the dining room. We have been on other cruises and regretted not staying on deck to see all the sites on our way out of port. (can't do late seating - we'd be too drunk! heee heee)

We got thinking about how dark it would be by dinner time anyway. We're going in late Oct.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Beginner

It may not be as dark as you think by suppertime. Grandeur went out of Baltimore later in the season last year. We went on the cruise out of Baltimore over Thanksgiving. I think it wasn't dark much before first seating--I know tne sun was setting over the Annapolis Bay Bridge.

Sounds like you'll be getting on when we get off. We'll be on the October 25 cruise to Bermuda.

Hope you enjoy the ship as much as we do. We've always enjoyed this ship tremendously.