Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Passenger

Default A safe hotel to get to around midnight in Miami?

Darn airlines, changing flights on us, and now we're not sure what to do.....so I'm turning to all the great people at Cruisemates for advice!

We're a couple from the Pacific Northwest, and have never been to Miami before. We're flying in the day before our cruise, as it takes pretty much all day to fly across the country. Our flights have recently been rescheduled due to the United/Ted deal, and we're now scheduled to arrive in Miami at 11:30pm instead of our original 7:30pm time. Given that we're arriving so late, we're not going to need anything fancy, or near shopping or eateries - we just need a clean, safe place to sleep, that also tolerates (extremely) late arrivals. Any suggestions?

Transportaion advice would also be great. I have no desire to get mugged in the middle of the night!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Read and post cruise reviews

Past cruises:
Carnival Triumph Sept 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn - right by the airport 8/2-8/4. It is not fancy, it is not el cheapo. In fact, I have my receipt right here and it was 71.99 per night after taxes and all it was 81.35. I found a discount code of CP536450 for 20% off on http://www.retailmenot.com/coupons/travel. At first you see the airplanes fly over the hotel you will think OH NO I just made a huge mistake staying here. But the sounds deadends quite well especially when you are sleeping. The little bit of sounds didn't bother me at all. It is VERY VERY close to the airport and an easy stop since it will be so late when you get in. They will probably even have a shuttle pick up from the airport since they are that close.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the info!

Past cruises:
Carnival Triumph Sept 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

We stayed at the Days Inn Civic Center before our cruise because they advertised free transport to/from the airport, as well as free transport to/from the pier. We called when we landed, and 90 minutes later, their transportation never arrived, despite several calls to the hotel. We took a cab. Less than 2 hours later, we turned down the lights and turned on the TV to wind down for bed. The room flooded with roaches. I went to the front desk to complain, and the 2 people behind the desk started talking to each other in spanish (not realizing I know spanish), saying we were lying, it wasn't the right time of the year for roaches, and I was only saying that to get my money back after my boyfriend and I had used the room for a few hours. They wouldn't refund my money, and after filing a complaint with the BBB after we got home and a LONG (6 month) fight with them, they sent me a check for $50 and that was the last I heard of them.

We ended up checking out and going to the Hampton Inn Miami Airport West and got there around 1:30AM. The desk clerk was SO NICE and once he heard what happened to us at the Days Inn, he lowered the price of our room to what we paid Days Inn. He also gave us free toothbrushes, combs, toiletries, etc that we had to throw away because roaches had crawled all over them at the Days Inn. He even came outside and helped us shake out all of our clothes & luggage to make sure there were no roaches in there before we went upstairs. I will go back there any time we're in Miami because they were so great!

Lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010