Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Beginner

Default Very new to NYC-HELP

Hi all,
We have been wanting to cruise out of NYC(NCL) but have been very worried about the "Big City as we have always cruised out of Fort L. and Miami. We would like to get to NYC the day before the cruise so that we could have a little sight-seeing time.(Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty)
If we flew into NYC, is there a certain airport that we should use ? Is there a reasonable hotel that you might suggest-no idea of price we would have to pay--nothing fancy-just safe and fairly close to port. Is $150-to-$175 not reasonable ??? Are cabs REAL expensive from airport to hotel and hotel to port. I guess we just envision the pre cruise to be very exppensive !
Would like to cruise Nov. 1. '09

Thank you all for your help !
iL2 cruise-Frank
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Passenger

As for the airports, flying into JFK or LGA is pretty much the same thing.
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Admiral

We came though JFK in September on the way back to the UK and noticed a metro rail system to the City which would be cheaper than cab fares. We were on a coach transfer & it seemed a long journey in the heavy traffic, which the metro would obviously be free of.

As for the port, you need to make sure you know which one is being used, the new one was over near Brooklyn ( I think ), whilst the older one was to the West of the City.

Alan & Katrina
followed by: Queen Elizabeth December 2014

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

You definitely need to know which terminal you will use. Manhattan or the new one in Brooklyn - Red Hook. Last month I flew into JFK and took a cab ($40ish) to my hotel at 8th Ave. & 51st St.- the Hampton Inn which runs around $299. It is 2 blocks from Broadway and about 6 blocks from Rockefeller Center. I was sailing out of Red Hook aboard the QM2 and booked a car service which was approx. $75.
It also depends on how much time you want to spend in the city, and what you want to see.
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Like the other posters have said, choose your cruise line, and then select your airport. Sure, a pre/post cruise stay in NYC is going to be more $ than Florida. But IMO, it is TOTALLY worth it if you have the desire to do so. I'm not a big city person at heart, but a cruise out of NYC is something every cruise lover should do at least once!

Check the rates at the Edison Hotel. It is right around the corner from the Marriott on Times Square. Great location with a very reasonable cafe attached to it, and a deli next door too. Historical building, clean but small rooms.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Familiar Face

Hello Knarf,
Currently, Jan 2009, NCL sails out of the Manhattan (West side) NY pier(s)
Click here for the link. A decent web site that will give you some basic information and has additional links that provide information.

I have sailed out of the West side and also out of Red Hook, Brooklyn. Depending on the number of people in your party and amount of luggage, there are options for public transportation, buses and or subway; a taxi and or a car service( limo or van). I am sure there are cruisemates here who will offer their opinions on each type.(I have always used the car service - DW thinks I'm a big shot when the limo pulls up! . ) November in NYC can be cold, blustery, snowy, or springlike
Sightseeing in NYC is a blast! If you have the time Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are well worth the time invested - Caution: Check the website for days open and operating hours!!!! Of course when you cruise out of and into NY, you pass the Grand Lady in the harbor . . . worth being on deck for IMHO.
Enjoy planning your cruise and have a great cruise.