Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Miami Experts please help

Hello,

I'll be back from a cruise in May in Miami, so I thought 'why not stay a couple of days?'. I have never been to Miami and I'd like to see the Everglades, Key West, a little beach time - all together 6 days. Now my questions:

1. Should I stay in Miami or take a hotel in Fort Lauderdale? So many people advice this (because it seems to be so much nicer than Miami) but will it be a big difference for me and my interests? If yes, my flight back home will be out of Miami so would the back and fourth transportation be worth it?

2. Where should I stay in Miami to be closer to the action (and pick-up points for excursions) without being raped or robbed. I'm gonna be all by myself and since I don't know Miami I don't want to book a hotel in the slums without knowing it. I'll be using priceline.com and bid on 4 stars hotels but just don't know of what part of Miami?

3. Same question as in 2. if you all vote for Fort Lauderdale *gg*

4. Anything besides Key West and Everglades that I should do or see in the Miami area? Some 'once in a lifetime' thing that I cannot see anywhere else?

Thanks for your time and help!

to Western Caribbean on Carnival Valor

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'll have to agree with you and say to stay in Miami, since you will be flying out of there after your land vacation. Have you thought about trying Priceline for a hotel? Just make sure you ask for the right location, thinking downtown Miami and 4 stars??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

1. Should I stay in Miami or take a hotel in Fort Lauderdale? So many people advice this (because it seems to be so much nicer than Miami) but will it be a big difference for me and my interests? If yes, my flight back home will be out of Miami so would the back and fourth transportation be worth it?
While I love to stay in Fll. In your case Miami makes more sense. You could get shuttles between the 2 cities if you fly into Fll dstay in Miami, for $15.00 p.You could also opt to go in and out of both cities, depending on what you decide on..

2. Where should I stay in Miami to be closer to the action (and pick-up points for excursions) without being raped or robbed. I'm gonna be all by myself and since I don't know Miami I don't want to book a hotel in the slums without knowing it. I'll be using priceline.com and bid on 4 stars hotels but just don't know of what part of Miami?

Stay around the Bayside area..this is an upscale shoppng/restaurant hot spot,with lots of people around..I would cab to and form your hotel...check out the Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday inn, all in that area..

3. Same question as in 2. if you all vote for Fort Lauderdale *gg*
If you decide on Fll, the Hyatt Place is great,as well as the Renaissance
both on A1A, right in the middle of everything...The Jungle Queen dinner cruise is something one could do alone and have fun. The Galleria Mall is close by and the Festival Flea, is a short hop up 95...Catfish Dewys is a great local place to eat..add on about an hr and a half to the drive to the Keys if you stay here

4. Anything besides Key West and Everglades that I should do or see in the Miami area? Some 'once in a lifetime' thing that I cannot see anywhere else?

Your drive to the Keys, will be about 4 hours, on a 2 lane road...an interesting drive, with lots of places to stop along the way to shop and eat...I would suggest leaving early on the way down, to get plenty of Key time in, and, leave, so that most of the drive home will be in daylight..this is just me though...

Beach/Ocean Drive, is a must with all the art deco hotels,and funky shops..Lincoln Rd as well...I would take a day to go to the Lauderdale beaches as well...just glorious..the Sawgrass Outlet is a nice take in, as well as the Swap Shop on Sunrise in Fll...If you want any more info, just yell

Thanks for your time and help!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you Donna and Trip. I was afraid that my request has been overlooked. You have no idea what feeling it is to go to a city like Miami which I only know from the "Golden Girls". So that's pretty much, isn't it? Hehe. I am an 80's tv-show fan, can't help it. Next month I'm gonna spend "an evening with Larry Hagman" *gg*

I think you're both right, staying in Miami and taking a trip to Fll sound like a really good idea..

By the way, I have already booked a night at Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel through priceline.com for one night prior to my cruise and that decision was easy because I wanted a hotel close to the port. But after the cruise I had no idea where to stay would be best. But thanks to you it is now clear to me.

Trip, where do I get transportation to Ft L for 15 Dollars?

Sorry for my English.......

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Admiral

This is the company that I was thinking of, but I believe you have to begin the shuttle in Lauderdale...we took it from the Fll airport to the port of Miami...

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Familiar Face

There's something else I wanted to ask you, would you book a bus tour to Key West, so you can enjoy the driving and lean back and look around a little but being kept by their schedule or would you recommend me getting a rental car and just do it on my own pace?

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Do some research & then decide...If you take the Key West tour, on the first day of you visit, you can let them do the driving and you can relax...then the next day, rent the car..if you use Enterprise, they can pick you up, at least they advertise that...

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, they sure do, had to rent one last year when someone totalled my car and they brought the rental to my house and had someone else pick them up, so I didn't even have to drive him back to the office, nice :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you want to stay close to the action and the beach then you can bid South Beach on Priceline. DO NOT bid on anything below a 3* and probably a 3.5*. Start with a 3.5* and then lower it to 3* if you can't get a 3.5 at the rate you want. Don't expect luxury in this district. Most of the hotels are "boutique" hotels and while the exteriors may look nice the rooms are often mediocre.

South Beach hotels will go for at least $100. If you want something less expensive you can do, as you did with the Marriott and bid in the downtown zone.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Do some research & then decide...If you take the Key West tour, on the first day of you visit, you can let them do the driving and you can relax...then the next day, rent the car..if you use Enterprise, they can pick you up, at least they advertise that...
Thank you Trip, you know what? I did do the research. The thing is, there are like 3 or 4 companies that offer the bus tour to the Keys. I've been reading all the reviews from other tourists and all these companies got lots of 1 stars "really awful, bus dirty and technical disaster" with photos showing half of the interior falling apart to 5 stars "best experience of our lives". It totally confuses me.....I was hoping somebody has a secret hint of a good bus tour.

I do like the idea of going there by bus and then renting a car and go back on my own. Thanks for that.

Thanks Mike and Donna again too, from you I got the advice to use priceline and bid on 4 stars up only and this is how I got the deal for the Marriott in the first place. Cannot complain. Thanks again

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Hers some more places to check..one looked real good..if you want me to call from here for you, let me know...

http://www.miamitours.us/?event=offer.type&productType=BUS&mpt=290&name=Bus %20Tours%20in%20Miami

http://www.gotobus.com/

http://www.sousatours.net/ the buses look good here

https://miamitourcompany.com/