Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
Jason Leppert

Default Cruising to Athens - Scary or Sane?

Cruising to Athens - Scary or Sane?
by Janice Wald Henderson

A reassuring look at Athens as a Mediterranean cruise destination and a scrumptious taste of the local culinary fare.

Read the newspapers, watch TV and the news is everywhere - Greece is in financial turmoil. And yet for cruisers, "Med season" has just begun. This is primetime (from now through October) for a Mediterranean sail. So many voyages begin or end in Athens, with tempting ports of call in-between. Do you avoid cruises that embark or disembark passengers in Athens - or say yes, but go straight from the airport to the ship? What is a cruiser who has never seen the glorious sights of this ancient city to do?

No one can predict the future, but it's easier to make the right decision knowing the facts. If you've already seen Athens' sights (notably, the Acropolis) and feel apprehensive, skip a visit and go directly from the airport to the ship, or vice-versa. But here's how to make it work: When flying in or out of Athens, book the ship transfers even if they cost more than a taxi or other privately arranged transportation.

Read more: Cruising to Athens - Scary or Sane?

What is your opinion of Athens as a cruise destination?
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Admiral

I have used Athens as an embarkation port three times and have been there on two other occassions. While Athens is a better city when economy booming (first trip in 1980), it is still a great city when economy not doing as well (second trip in 1982).

Athens, and all have Greece, has some historic and architectural sites that should not be missed; you need to make the effort. As embarkation port, each time we came a little early so I could show my wife one of my favorite cities. It was great that we were introduced to a wonderful cab driver/guide for our first cruise embarkation; in our three trips, he has shown us so much of Greece (including the Peloponese [sp] on a vist to Napflion).

No matter the economy - GO TO ATHENS. It is not to be missed. Of course, if the Greeks would get of their archaic law that limits embarkation/debarkation in Athens (you can do one or the other, not both), it would be easier.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I have used Athens as an embarkation port three times and have been there on two other occassions. While Athens is a better city when economy booming (first trip in 1980), it is still a great city when economy not doing as well (second trip in 1982).

Athens, and all have Greece, has some historic and architectural sites that should not be missed; you need to make the effort. As embarkation port, each time we came a little early so I could show my wife one of my favorite cities. It was great that we were introduced to a wonderful cab driver/guide for our first cruise embarkation; in our three trips, he has shown us so much of Greece (including the Peloponese [sp] on a vist to Napflion).

No matter the economy - GO TO ATHENS. It is not to be missed. Of course, if the Greeks would get of their archaic law that limits embarkation/debarkation in Athens (you can do one or the other, not both), it would be easier.

Marc
I completely agree. I revisited Athens last year on a port call; there was a wildcat strike - did it upset my plans - not a bit.

Please everyone continue to visit Athens - it gave so much to the world.

Annie
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs up Athens May 2012

I just returned from Athens, drove right by the Parliament building and there were no crowds in sight. Went shopping in Plakas which is within walking distance and everything was peaceful. Of course right after we left, there was a strike but that seems to happen all over the world - look at what happened in Norway!

The news usually focuses on one small area while the rest of the city is calm. The Acropolis is amazing!