Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Default Iconic smokestacks are gone from Port Everglades

Just a few moments ago, Florida Power & Light did a controlled explosion leveling of the iconic red and white smokestakes at Port Everglades. The four oil-fueled power plants were also knocked down for removal.

The old plants will be replaced by a new clean energy facility. You can read more and see a replay here.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The stacks were definitely a landmark in Fort Lauderdale but, to me, they were a bit of an eyesore.

I am always amazed at how they can use shaped charges to precisely fall a building or tower. In the video you can see how they demolished the towers so they fell into a nice stack and kept the debris in a confined area.

Now if Grand Cayman can do something about the oil tanks.

Take care,
MIke

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Admiral

My son is starting college soon as an engineering student. He asks me from time to time about what exactly civil engineers do. I think I'll show him the video and say 'they calculate how to do things like this so it all falls in a nice compact heap'.