CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation/Debarkation Ports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/)
-   -   Texas To Begin Taxing Booze And Cigarettes at Galveston Cruise Port (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/400281-texas-begin-taxing-booze-cigarettes-galveston-cruise-port.html)

Dave Beers December 21st, 2013 04:54 PM

Texas To Begin Taxing Booze And Cigarettes at Galveston Cruise Port

Cruising from Galveston in 2014? If you bring booze or cigarettes back, be prepared to pay a state tax - $3.50 per fifth of liquor for example. The state TABC will have officers with their own checkpoints as you leave the terminal.

I imagine if you say you have nothing and they pull you aside for a baggage search and find you are lying, it won't be good.

Read more here.

They plan to expand the operation to the Houston cruise port at some point.

Snoozeman December 21st, 2013 07:17 PM

This will be a Pain in the A@@ for sure. More lines will have to be built.

TABC already has so many restrictions on the cruises, you can't get a "Cheers" until second day when sailing from Galveston for example.

I didn't notice you'd posted this and I put something in 'All Things'
I have the chart with it so I'll leave it for now.

Dave Beers December 21st, 2013 07:28 PM

Two checkpoints and ships carrying over 3000 passengers. Yeah, they'll minimize any inconvenience and delays to guests departing the terminal. I can just see those bottlenecks now. Maybe they'll get the ships to start charging the tax to guests who bought booze in the gift shop and really lock this down.

This smacks of some pompous bureaucrats showing how much power and influence they have, just to be annoying.

Donna December 21st, 2013 07:35 PM

So far, you mention this in Texas....Wonder how long it will take for other states to do the same, Florida?? OY....

Dave Beers December 21st, 2013 07:44 PM

Florida would see a fortune in taxes, especially for eastern Caribbean cruises where the limits are higher, especially for rum from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Alabama had some annoying rules when Carnival was in Mobile. The ship could only sell from a limited menu of drinks and beers until it was in international waters. And they charged sales tax, but that is happening in other places now too.

I used to bring back booze but stopped when it got to be a pain for air travel. If I am driving to the port I will bring some back, such as from New Orleans.

TEXAS BELLE March 11th, 2014 08:25 PM

We just sailed back into Galveston, Mar 9, we were asked if we bought booze, we did, and were directed to another area and paid TABC their share. We zipped right through the process, no lines, at this time.

Snoozeman March 11th, 2014 08:31 PM

Thanks for the report Belle.

Moiraine March 12th, 2014 10:42 AM

Makes me thankful I don't smoke and drink very little.