Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ertainment.cfm

Please read the editorial above, and then come back and give us your opinion on cruise ship entertainment.

Post Edited (06-12-03 14:41)
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

Great article, Paul, and exactly the reason we skip the "Vegas-style" production shows.

Your article highlighted all the things we don't like about those shows. We saw five or ten minutes of one and left. It was extremely unoriginal and uninteresting.

I am 26 and love a good Broadway show. But that's the point - it's an original show. It isn't "highlights of other shows' best songs."

Personally, I would love to see a cruiseline hire a really talented production team - like Elton John and Tim Rice, for example, or Stephen Sondheim, or Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg - and have them write an original show especially for the cruise line. Perhaps it could be a comedy about people who fall in love on a cruise!

Instead of spending millions on fancy special effects they should spend the money to hire top-notch writers to create an original show, and top-notch performers to bring it to life. Honestly, I think people would book a cruise on that line just to see such a show.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 12th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Paul, First my perspective, 12 cruises in 8 years, 4 Celebrity, 3 Carnival, 2 Princess,
2 Norwegian 1 Windjammer. We are mid 50's and we do in fact enjoy main showroom entertainment most of the time.
I look forward to drinking my last cup of coffee at second seating and slowly making my way to main show lounge for a good show. The lights , smoke and "mirrors" of a Las Vegas type review often cover up for mediocre talent. Frankly I'sd rather see less but get more. By this I mean I would rather hear the two (out of 4 ) singers who are truly good
sing more and change costumes less. I don't need all the noise and fast paced changes to be entertained.
I find that most ship's bands (the big one) are usually quite good and would be happy to hear more of them. I'd be happier to listen to a big band style concert with a good male and female singer . Save the sequens ,the dancers too short to make it in Las Vegas along with the laser lights and smoke machines. .
I have never seen an entertaining passenger talent show (although one act may be good, most are not). Leave the jugglers to Barnum and Bailey. Leave the majicians to do childrens parties. We like a good singer who can do a full set and a good comedian as well. As for the comedians, the cruise ship toilet flushing jokes are not funny once you have heard them 10 times.
What I walk out on are over the hill entertainers who let you know by their attitude that they used to be somebody. Leave them to perform in the Catskills I'd rather sit through the high energy of a talented young performer eager to perform.
I love to listen to a nice late night performance and also to some pre dinner music
from a talented musician, duo, trio etc, whether classical, jazz or contemporary but sometimes find it dificult to find the better entertainment in a non smoking venue.
One last thought. I love a good ships band (poolside) that doubles in the disco
for some contemporary or Rock. Have heard 4 good ones on 4 different Celebrity cruises. All 4 came fromSt Lucia. However, I do not like a pool band playing at Mega Decibles while I try to relax at the pool. Some ships pool areas (Summit for example) are big enough for this type entertainment some (Legend for example) have too confined a pool space for the BIG noise often heard poolside.
I hope my thoughts are what you were looking for.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

I agree with PapaBill about the over-the-hill entertainers doing the cruiselines as their farewell tour. The last cruise we took a comedian/singer who've I've never heard of before rambled on for 15 minutes on how this was his last gig and he was retiring after the cruise. First he wasn't a very good singer but he let us know all the shows he's done for 25 years, second he wasn't very funny. Put the two together and he was boring.

I do like the high energy, fast paced, costume changing, medley productions. I think they are entertaining and I always try to make these shows. What I don't like are the off-color comedians who think dropping the F word 25 times a joke is funny.

I would like to see theatre, i.e. plays. I would like to see popular (if past their prime) musical groups. I know you won't see the Rolling Stones on the Brilliance of the Seas, but there are plenty of groups who tour around the country now doing smaller venues which I would like to see booked.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

I too enjoy the variety/dance/singing shows that they put on during the cruise. Some of the older headlines have seen their days and while some of them can put on a good show, some just don't. We always try to make a show after dinner while cruising, its just part of the "whole" cruise expierence. On a recent cruise however, Jimmy Osmond was onboard with most of his family and really had a great show, even some of his younger kids entertained, so there is definitely talent in that family. He even had a video that went along with some of the numbers, was really a good show.

We also enjoy the magic shows and good comedians, a lot of these shows are hit or miss and usually the cruiseline singers/dancers are great!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainm

Interesting article, Paul.

I still enjoy the production shows, though I must say i usually have to drag Art. Best one I've seen so far is on Star Princess due to the incredible stage that allows scenery and people to fly in and out, and sink below stage.

I will also always hit the comedians (especially the R ones). Always makes for an enjoyable end of the day.

The shows are always one of the best parts of the cruise for me -- how often do I get to "go out" every night, other than a cruise.

Harry
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Admiral

I remember on one episode this season of American Idol, Simon insulted a performer by saying, "You sound like you should be singing on a cruise ship." Sadly, a lot of cruise ship entertainment is second-rate and promotes that stereotype. The cruise lines need to be more proactive in booking first-rate entertainment, Broadway- or Disney-caliber. Only by booking top-notch entertainment can they break through the old stereotypes about cruise ship entertainers.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 13th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Interesting you should say that about hiring Broadway talent to create a show:

Holland America just announced Tommy Tune would produce and original show for its ships:

For Immediate Release

TOMMY TUNE CREATES "PAPARAZZI" MUSICAL FOR HOLLAND AMERICA

Seattle, June 4, 2003 - For the first time ever, nine-time Tony award- winning director, choreographer, dancer, and singer Tommy Tune has created an original production spectacular specifically for a cruise ship. Holland America is proud to present "Tommy Tune's 'Paparazzi'", a musical extravaganza debuting onboard the newly introduced ms Oosterdam in August 2003 and the ms Westerdam in April 2004.

"We are thrilled to have a creative talent like Tommy Tune creating a show exclusively for Holland America," said David A. Giersdorf, senior vice president, marketing and sales. "'Tommy Tune's 'Paparazzi' is another example of Holland America's commitment to providing the best cruise value, in every aspect, for our guests."

"Tommy Tune's 'Paparazzi'" is a multi-million dollar production that pays homage to our fascination with celebrities and the photographers who chase them. Tune, who appears on film in the show, leads a cast of 14, performing two shows per sailing. The show features one of the most elaborate video systems installed on a cruise ship. In this timeless show, Tune has included a variety of music styles from every decade; from ragtime to rock and roll and movie music, big band and even 80s pop.

Tommy Tune, dancer, singer, choreographer and director, is the winner of nine Tony Awards, and the only person in theatrical history to win in four different categories and to win the same two Tony awards two years in a row. His performances have also garnered eight Drama Desk Awards, two Obie Awards, Dance Magazine's Award for Lifetime Achievement and many others. He has performed for three U.S. presidents, the Queen of England and the Royal Family of Monaco.

Old June 13th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

"I remember on one episode this season of American Idol, Simon insulted a performer by saying, "You sound like you should be singing on a cruise ship."

That is funny. On the HBO series, Larry Sanders, his sidekick (who is a buffoon) always cites his years as a "cruise director" as the way he honed his audience skills, which always gives Garry Shandling a chance to roll his eyes.

The truth is that for several years a cruise show singer was picked for their dancing skills more than their voice. They also needed people who would agree to call bingo, sit in the library a few hours a day, leave home for 6 months and work for a few hundred dollars a week.

These days, however, the bigger cruise ships have started hiring "singing leads" with dancers who can sing to back them up. Those shows also usually have a pas de deux dance team to lead the dancers as well.

Not on all ships, however. The truth is, you can hear some pretty bad voices from so-called "professional singers" in cruise ship production shows.

Old June 14th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Wait a minute Paul, I could swear that we saw that show on the Atlantica in March. Lots of singing, costume changes, etc. Started around the 20's then went through the decades on up. If it wasn't his it was a pretty good and entertaining ripoff. As far as the main showroom, we only went that time and the first night. Most of the time we followed around this piano player (she played in various spots on the ship), or visited the lounges to see and hear the smaller acts, as they were great.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 14th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

"Wait a minute Paul, I could swear that we saw that show on the Atlantica in March."

The reason why you think you saw that show already is because ALL the cruise ships have basically the same show! That is the problem.

Hah - just kidding. You are right that Costa Atlantica has a show which is actually a "Salute to Italy" which has bits on everything Italian through the ages. In the end is a piece about papparazzi with Vespa motorscooters.

Old June 15th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainm

Paul, you are right that's how the show ended, real scooters on stage, it was great.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 15th, 2003, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Our Group of 10 who cruise together all enjoy all the shows on the cruises. it is nice to see different shows on cruises. We have to say they are all good...... char
Old June 29th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Cathy B

I loved your article! Its says everything I have been thinking for ever! (okay, for the six cruises we have been on...) We are in our forties and are really sick of these "review" things...I have wondered myself why they could not hire some talent that may be past their "glory" days but still viable as true entertainment. I wonder what would happen if cruise lines charged $25.00 a head for a "headliner" show on board...people could pick or choose not to go. That way, perhaps we could improve some of this dreck. They already do for "better meals".....Or, raise the cost of a cruise ticket a couple bucks to pay for improved entertainment but then market the heck out of it. I think a lot of people would respond!

When we were on Princess for two different cruises, we saw two of the funniest comedians I have ever seen. (We went back twice to see one of them...and I am tough to make laugh.) When we stayed at the Atlantis Resort, we paid $15.00 for a show with a really funny female comic from Texas...(sorry I can't remember these people's names).

I had even thought of that group that does imitations of the Beatles, and the other day I saw that they HAVE in fact appeared on one of the cruise ships. How about the type of talent that does shows like "Legends In Concert" in Las Vegas? They are talented, sing in their own voices and get the crowd clapping and up having a good time.

I don't think a cruise line can be all things to all people but I think they make a huge mistake by catering to the lowest common denominator. Some things will be more appropriate perhaps for some ages than others...that's okay, just give people a choice. I sat through the Lawrence Welk show once with my folks, I don't want to see it continually replayed on the high seas!

Hope you will pass this thread one to someone with some vision in the industry...

Cathy B
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you - people just might pay for premium entertainment.

My question is - what would you pay extra for? I think people would pony up for:

1) a "Caroline's Comedy Club" type of venue with really funny comedians

2) true "Broadway" shows - full length, not just greatest hits things

3) a name performer.

I agree with you that some "over-the-hill" performers would still be great to see, however this seems to be one area that a lot of people do not agree with us. I see a lot of complaints about "has-beens" who should have quit when they were ahead.

Old July 25th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Admiral

I love this question... mmmmmmm let me think!

In my opinion, most cruise ship entertainment is about as entertaining as the Musak on a slow elevator in an non-airconditioned building. Juggling comedians balancing on ladders and blowing bubbles while doing third grade magic tricks doesn't do it for me.

I agree that there are some real artists out there that would be far more interesting to see and hear. For instance I just saw a fairly new folk singer as an opening act for Rosanne Cash. She has only three CDs to date. Her name is Iris Dement. Although she gets little airplay on mainstream radio stations,this singer/songwriter has the gripping prose of some of the great poets together with the heart and sole of people like Loretta Lynn and Janis Joplin.

Most Cruise Ships wouldn't hire her because her material is not familiar to the average cruising patron. Why not try some "new" talent instead of tired white bread vanilla acts that don't inspire or offend anyone.

I have a friend, Joni Butler, that does some shows for H.A.L. and Princess. She is a fine singer.They often tell her they don't want female singers on the ships because "The girls are all Judy Garland wanabees."

Joni is a Grammy nominee in her own right and should be in a lot more shows because she is great. They also will only allow her to do one song in each set that is original material, Otherwise they expect her to sing worn out torch songs and show tunes which forces her to sound like a "Judy Garland wanabee. Hmmm, could this be a catch 22???

Cruise ships are often larger now with more than one show lounge. Audiences are far more sophisticated today than ever before. Why not give people some real talent that is a little more flavorful like Ben & Jerry's and a little less like Vanilla Ice Milk.

There are a lot of starving young artists out there with loads of talent. Let's not forget where Bette Midler and others got their starts. If our society wants to create more great artists, it has to give them training grounds, and how perfect cruise ships could be for such endeavors.

Thanks for the chance to respond!
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am responding NOW. Thank you so much for contributing to my topic.

What a typical catch -22. Only one original song per set, but we don't want you to appear to be a copy of anyone else... duh?

The problem is though, that the cruise lines feel they must appeal to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR! So, if some of the people do not the original artist then no one should be hearing them.

I agree with you, there has GOT to be a sweet spot wher original talent and cruise lines can meet. Or at least authentic talent.

I would like to see some blues acts, for example. Or how about a hot jazz band from New Orleans?

I htink we have a common thread here, that the cruise lines shoulkd get away from doing vaudeville (jugglers, magicians, tap dancers) and get more original and talented people. But enough of the kids from the amusement parks, already!

Old August 1st, 2003, 03:29 PM
BIGT

ME AND MY WIFE WERE ON ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEA IN MARCH AND WE LOVED ALL THE ENTERTAINMENT ONBOARD. THEY HAD SINGER & COMIC FROM THE COCKTAIL BAR ROUNDS AND THEY WERE GREAT. THE REST OF THE ENTERTAINERS WORKED HARD AT WHAT THEY DID AND IT WAS A LITTLE CORNY BUT GUESS WHAT. THIS WAS LIVE ENTERTAINMENT FOR FREE AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I LOOK FORWARD TO OUR FEBRUARY TRIP ON THE RADIENCE OF THE SEA. THE MORE YOU GET INVOLVED WITH THE ACTIVITIESTHE MORE FUN YOU HAVE.
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Passenger

My favorite "show" was on the Disney Magic when it first sailed. They had an improv comedy troupe that did 2 shows nightly. My cruising companion and I went back for EVERY set during our sail. It was hilarious! I don't know why the other cruise lines don't do something like that in some of the other MYRIAD of lounges on their ships. You would think that a ship with 20+ lounges could have one devoted to comedy....
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
First Mate

There are 2 problems with on board entertainment as I see it.

1. You have no idea ahead of time what you will get.

The lines should provide information on the scheduled entertainment and use it as a marketing tool. I wonder how far in advance they know about featured artists being booked. I would rather book a trip with John Pinet (saw on last cruise - never laughed so hard) than with Marty Allen (A man who should have retired a while ago). Its a total crap shoot.

2. Diverse crowd limits what line can do.

The shows are doomed to failure due to the cruise line's attempts to please everyone with 1 production. With such a diverse crowd, straight down the bland, uninteresting middle is the only place they can go to some extent. They would be better served to divide the huge theater spaces into several smaller venues. A comedy night club, a performing art space, and a traditional play space. The Voyager ships pretty much have the space and are heading in the right direction. There is an ice show, several music venues, and traditional production numbers. They should however offer more alternative productions in studio B. By offering multiple choices, people can select more tailored entertainment options and they could do away with trying to please everyone with a single show.

Old August 10th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Myles

That's a pretty critical article and I think the expectations are a little overblown. I'll address them point by point from my perspective. On originality, you are correct in that there are some similarities in the shows formats, but the same thing is true on Broadway and the Vegas strip for $$$ a seat. And as for the young people, don't even waste your time. They'll be in one of the dance clubs or lounges. And hey, don't look now, but reviews are alive and well in Paris, Vegas and New York and probably elsewhere. As far as medleys are concerned, they work pretty well within the time restraints. If you want to hear the full song, go to a concert and pay $$$ for a seat. As far as character development is concerned, go to a Broadway play for a four hour performance. I have other things to do on a cruise besides watching one show all night. As for talent, that's in the eyes of the beholder. Some acts are good and some aren't no matter where you are. Broadway shows sometimes close in a week at $$$ a seat. Authenticity; all these guys are the read thing whether you like them or not. You don't like every television show or movie you've watched, do you? I couldn't help but notice you didn't address the variety of entertainment. Was there too much variety for this negative dissertation? I also noticed you didn't mention the ship's orchestra. Aren't they worthy of mention in the entertainment genre? I'm disappointed that you would use your position for such a one-sided review. I'm also surprised that some of the respondents to your review are under the impression that entertainment headliners today cost $25.00 a seat.(add $100.00 or more) I guess they haven't been to Vegas lately. Welcome to the real world. Now the main point is that people don't book a cruise because of the entertainment. That's just another gimmick to pass the time. People cruise to go somewhere or to get away from somewhere. You might hear them say they booked because of the cuisine, the ambiance or the way they're treated on a particular cruiseline, but I doubt very seriously you'll ever hear someone say they booked a cruise on a ship because of the entertainment in the show lounge. I don't know any better way to say it, but there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Enjoy the rainbow!
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for the comments, Myles. Are you in the cruise ship entertainment business? I'll address yours one at a time.

"That's a pretty critical article and I think the expectations are a little overblown. I'll address them point by point from my perspective. On originality, you are correct in that there are some similarities in the shows formats, but the same thing is true on Broadway and the Vegas strip for $$$ a seat."

I disagree, Rent is vastly different from the Producers or Aida. Different songs, stories and production values. In cruise ship shows you are likely to hear the same actual songs from show to show. And every ship has had a "salute to Hollywood" at one time or another. Originality is originality whether they are similar or not. Broadway shows are original, cruise ships shows borrow from them.

"And as for the young people, don't even waste your time. They'll be in one of the dance clubs or lounges.

My contention is that they are not there BECAUSE they don't like the entertainment the ship is offering. What are you saying?That young people don't like entertainment at all? Tell that to the filmmakers in Hollywood.

And hey, don't look now, but reviews are alive and well in Paris, Vegas and New York and probably elsewhere. "

They are alive and well, but proportionately much less than entire plays. I have never seen a "Salute to Broadway" on Broadway. Yes there are "revues" but they usually offer a lot of originality, not a rehash of songs from other shows.

"As far as medleys are concerned, they work pretty well within the time restraints. If you want to hear the full song, go to a concert and pay $$$ for a seat."

I don't even understand why you are saying this. Is there some kind of financial restraint holding the cruise lines back from presenting more than 15 seconds of any one song?

"As far as character development is concerned, go to a Broadway play for a four hour performance. I have other things to do on a cruise besides watching one show all night."

Most Broadway shows are the same length as a movie, not 4 hours. Movies are popular on ships.

"As for talent, that's in the eyes of the beholder. Some acts are good and some aren't no matter where you are. Broadway shows sometimes close in a week at $$$ a seat. Authenticity; all these guys are the read thing whether you like them or not."

This is not true. That is like saying an Elvis impersonator is Elvis. Like I said, I have seen young, freshly-scrubbed white kids singing plantation slave songs. I don't buy it, it isn't authentic, it is antithetical and preposterous.

"You don't like every television show or movie you've watched, do you? I couldn't help but notice you didn't address the variety of entertainment. Was there too much variety for this negative dissertation?"

I addressed variety as the core of my argument. There isn't any, I rest my case.

"I also noticed you didn't mention the ship's orchestra. Aren't they worthy of mention in the entertainment genre?"

On the contrary, most ship's orchestras are very good. I am glad there is still a place for live musicians to find work. They don't pay them enough.

"I'm disappointed that you would use your position for such a one-sided review."

It's an opinion piece. That's what opinion pieces are.

"I'm also surprised that some of the respondents to your review are under the impression that entertainment headliners today cost $25.00 a seat.(add $100.00 or more) I guess they haven't been to Vegas lately. Welcome to the real world."

In NY City a cover charge for a Jazz Club featuring name entertainers is typically $35.

"Now the main point is that people don't book a cruise because of the entertainment. That's just another gimmick to pass the time. People cruise to go somewhere or to get away from somewhere. You might hear them say they booked because of the cuisine, the ambiance or the way they're treated on a particular cruiseline, but I doubt very seriously you'll ever hear someone say they booked a cruise on a ship because of the entertainment in the show lounge."

My point exactly. I wrote the editorial because I was amazed at how out of touch the entertainment departments were with how they believed they were perceived by the cruising public. Most people don't pay attention to a cruise's entertainment, but according to the entertainment heads you would think it was all that cruisers thought about while on the ship.

"I don't know any better way to say it, but there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Enjoy the rainbow!"

Thanks for your comments. Basically, you are saying "Yes, cruise ship entertainment is mediocre, but so are a lot of things" If you accept that as a standard, then you have made an excellent point.

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MP

Hmmm...so many opinions. Personally I enjoyed the article since it hit most points right on the head.
Its important for people to realize that during those nights at sea, people want to be entertained. Otherwise, it becomes a long night of wandering around for the ump-teenth time. There definitely needs to be more diversity in the entertainment provided. Someone mentioned the young street dance performers in subway stations. As a New Yorker, I constantly see these performers in the streets or subway stations as well as a variety of other performers, all ages, all talents...and let me tell you...its definitely refreshing to see different acts with such creativity. From acrobatic hip hop dancing to violin performers to jazz/blues bands, etc, etc....it's the raw & creative talent that impresses me about these performers w/out all the glitzy choreography and costumes. And I think its something that could appeal to all age groups. "STOMP" is a performance I really enjoyed & I think it was a concept based on street performances. Some people like the "cheesy" (as someone mentioned) Vegas shows & it doesnt have to be completely eliminated but at least either improved or shortened to give room for other different performances. Its something to consider and hope the cruiselines seriously consider cruisers input.
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Eydie

I really enjoy the comedians, if they are funny. However, after seeing a "Salute to Broadway" three years in a row, on three different ships, I am very tired of it. If that is what the show is next summer when we cruise again, we will skip it.
Old October 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Passenger

I just hope my next RCI cruise has great entertainment. I really look forward to the shows and don't want to be disappointed.

Old October 6th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think some thought should be given to the intinary that the ship is following. Local musicians or entertainment that reflects the up coming ports of call, would get you into the proper mood for exploring. Not in evey lounge, but featured as part of the theme for that particular cruise. Perhaps in the Grand Concourse or buffet area of the ship. It would be a great way to add to the experience of the cruise, especially where port time is limited to less than one day.
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Hi, I worked as a talent agent for 10 years or so, it has been my observation that the shows' quality is getting more and more mediocre. Could this be because the cruise lines prices are getting lower and lower? I remember not 7 years ago being "blown away" by a big production show on a Princess ship. The last two cruises big shows have been AWFUL (Celebrity and RCI)---off key singers, amateur dancing, horrible costumes, etc. I personally think instead of needing more variety of entertainment, we just need BETTER entertainment. I don't mind "been there-done that" tribute to Broadway show--if the QUALITY is there--not just in the talent but also in the production (sound, lights, effects). There are thousands of young very talented artists out there, the lines need to be more selective in their audition process.
Just for the record, I'm 50 years old, and I would also like to see more entertainment targeting people in their 30s,40s,50s. We saw the Platters on the last one--first of all, you need to be 55+ just to remember them, and then they were awful, due to the only remaining original member who was an elderly drunken fool that couldn't carry a tune in a basket!! Would like to see more rock groups, and especially after 10 cruises, would LOVE a good rock n roll party dance band (playing music from the 70s to current), not just a group of musicians who are so "versitile" that they never really excel in any one genre. Thanks, Paul.
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:48 AM
ESS

Greetings all

My wife and I generally travel to a country of choice and spend up to a month exploring on our own. We have also taken three cruises in the past - Celebrity, Princess, and river boat on the Nile River in Egypt that was a last minute bargain. Next month we are taking a week cruise on the Grand Princess before leaving for a two week trip to Spain.
EIther my wife and I do not cruise as often as others, or we are not hard to please. I view the entertainment as an "extra". I understand that the cruise lines are under pressure to present "safe" shows and entertainment that will appeal to the greatest number of passengers. A "salute" to Broadway usually will contain one or more musical numbers that will appeal to just about everyone in the audience. I understand why cruise companies tend to be conservative when deciding what types of shows to present After all - one's cruise line doesn't stand out too much one way or another if it presents the same type of entertainment as do all the other lines. I figure I am getting such a great bargain for the price of my cruise that I will not be too upset if the musical production is not to my exact liking.
I understand the Grand Princess has more than one production each evening to accommodate different tastes. Perhaps this is the future - smaller halls with a variety of performances for all tastes will resolve this problem.
Personally I would like to see a full length musical. I am sure there are some timeless classics that would appeal to most tastes. Who could complain about Oklahoma or Carousel?

ESS
Old October 9th, 2003, 10:35 AM
char Hempler

Well said ESS, I am like you. I have No Problem enjoying the entertainment that they have no matter what it is. I would love to see a full length musical also. I go and I enjoy... I guess I am easy to please. But I never find any faults in our cruises at all either. There may be a waiter I have enjoyed much more then another but I understand there are different personalities out there. I go with the flow. I jsut have a great cruise whenever I go. Happy cruising..... Char
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Mark Calkin

I would love to see the variety that you see on Bourbon St.-- Jazz, R&B, Rock and Metal well basically anything but classical (which I wouldn't mind as well). Some of the bands combinations of 2 or 3 of the above.