Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM
melania

Default Music on ships

It would be great if there was a web site that could post all the pool bands, music group duo's etc on each ship. Trying to call the cruise line to determine who is on there is nearly impossible. I know some people would like to book a specific cruise if they knew who was playing where.
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Music on ships

Each cruise line should have that posted on their home site.(Not that they do.) It's just good general information. However, it would not make me book a cruise, change cruise lines or itinarary, just for entertainment sake.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Passenger

That is such a great idea! But the same listings should also include the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, Social Hosts, Disc Jockey, etc. OR, a search function at each cruise lines' web site to search for a particular crew member regardless of which ship they are on. I hope someone from the various cruise lines are reading these posts. I also hope they realize that having that sort of mechanism in place will dramatically reduce the shipboard fraternization between crew and guests. Those crew members would not fraternize if they knew that they could be found again so easily.

DJ Bob
Chat Host
Old October 25th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Hi
Not a bad idea, but shore offices are not kept in touch with who is on, maybe, when it is a major name or theme cruise.
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Music on ships

Many times great ideas are just too complicated to become reality. The home offices rarely really know what is happenig on a ship - and shipboard personel change all the time. Getting that info from the ship to the head office to the interactive department to the webmaster would be a logistical nightmare.

Besides that - sometimes too much information is a bad thing. For everyone who booked a cruise because they liked a specific entertainer there might be those who cancelled because the entertainment changed.

In other words, the less you need to promise the cruiser the easier it is to keep them satisfied.

Old October 28th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Sooshie

I definitely agree on posting who the Cruise Director will be....they usually work several months at a time so that wouldn't be too hard to maintain on a website. It would also tell them (based on bookings) who are the good CD's and who aren't. I just got off the Enchantment and Matt Baker was outstanding...I would definitely check to see where he is before I booked a cruise.
Old October 29th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Passenger

Hi
I agree on the Cruise Director comments. Some are outstanding.
Having booked entertainers for many years, I do know a good one from a bad one.
I consider that the C/D is an entertainer from stage to office!
Having just got off the P&O ship Oceana, Neil Oliver was one of the best I have seen in many years, his presentation, total "hands on" hard work, and ents. team leadership was 100%
I have seen it on a ship from another view.
A few years ago I got a C/D sacked for a lot of bad things, and I mean bad.
I did not like to see the ents. team in tears most nights.
My wife and I got to know a lot of the Ents. team on board a ship,( I will not say what ship or cruise line), and they begged us to put in a complaint. We did,they called,they investigated, and acted upon it. The C/D went.....
Rod

Post Edited (11-01-03 05:58)
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM
First Mate

I recently e-mailed RCCL to ask them who the performers will be on my upcoming cruise, and they sent back who the headliner was, comedian, bands and all. Got back to me in a day. Might try that.

NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
Old November 11th, 2003, 06:05 PM
melania

Thanks I might try that!
Old December 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked our latest cruise simply due to the fact that Doug Trask was playing at one of the bars aboard ship. He is great...we have his e-mail and keep track of where he is.
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Passenger

regarding music onboard the ship. i have enjoyed listening some of the songs they played while i was on cunard countess . i do miss them songs that they played while i was there . carribian songs,stell band ,70's,80' and many more

if any one get more info please share with the crewmembers which they meet on www.crewmembersworld.com
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi,
I have seen many wonderful entertainers on ships. the best was on the Carnival Spirit last year. This old memory of mine has misplaced the mans name but he was terriffic!! He did an amazing tribute to Sammy Davis Jr. Now if I just could get them to book Jimmy Buffet...................Parrothead Paradise!!!

Cruznut2

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Ellen Ogden

We enjoyed Enchantment of The Seas and Matt Baker too!

Especially how he does running back flips on stage and goes into harmonica!

We loved The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers as well, along with Four Starz, poolside.

If anyone wants to know the scoop I have a lot to say if you want to ask me!

Much went on in the 5 days!
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:12 AM
gurunair

Default live music

pls visit us on www.gurunairproductions.com
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM
AR

I look at it differently:

If the cruise lines posted who the cruise director will be, who the entertainment will be, and all the rest. . .

and if people really did book cruises based on that. . .

then Cruisemates would have to have a separate gripe section for all those people to vent when changes were made.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that entertainers are booked a year out (when people start making bookings. . .

and I'm willing to bet that there are MANY last minute changes. You just never hear about them because you don't know who was scheduled in the first place.

Would people who booked based on a specific cruise director or entertainer be entitled to a refund if there were a change. I guarantee there would be people posting here demanding at least a portion of their money back.

If I were a cruise line, I wouldn't touch that idea with a fork.
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Joe Reynolds

It would be nice to know who will be on the ship before you go. The cruise line could post a schedule about 2 weeks before departure. Surely they know who is going to be on or who is expected to be on the cruise during that period of time. Sometimes we know people from past crusies and would like to bring them a little gift.
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Capt. Bob

Dittos on Doug Trask! Great musician.
Saw & heard him on Spirit in June of '03 on an Alaska cruise..
We requested "On The Road Again." He didn't know it but the next day he went into town, bought a CD that had the song, went back to his cabin and learned it and he played it for us the next night! That's called extra effort!
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Capt. Bob

Dittos on Doug Trask! Great musician.
Saw & heard him on Spirit in June of '03 on an Alaska cruise..
We requested "On The Road Again." He didn't know it but the next day he went into town, bought a CD that had the song, went back to his cabin and learned it and he played it for us the next night! That's called extra effort!
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Lell Kinsey

I'd like to know if anyone has any idea what happened to the band "Blue Orchid" that performed on Rhapasody of the Seas in March 1998. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any information on them at all on the net. I know it was a long time ago, but thought someone might possibly remember them and know what happened to them.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Default Noob

I am a n00b and this topic is just way beyond me...
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Beginner

are you the irish dancer?
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Default music on ship

Does any one know about the Irish step dancers on the cruise Oct 5,2004 ?
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Beginner

that's a nice idea... can't live w/o music..
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I know several people who book the Caribbean Princess just to see Bert Stratton. They spend the entire evening,,,every evening at his piano. Now that's devotion to a musician,,,,but he's probably worth it! He has his own web site and you can find out exactly when he'll be aboard, and when he's on vacation from that site. Maybe the CD's who are popular should take a hint from him, and do the same thing!
Ken 8)
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Many times great ideas are just too complicated to become reality. The home offices rarely really know what is happenig on a ship - and shipboard personel change all the time. Getting that info from the ship to the head office to the interactive department to the webmaster would be a logistical nightmare.

Besides that - sometimes too much information is a bad thing. For everyone who booked a cruise because they liked a specific entertainer there might be those who cancelled because the entertainment changed.

In other words, the less you need to promise the cruiser the easier it is to keep them satisfied.
Paul, I was just on the Miracle in April and the band that played on it are telling people they will be there until January 08. Now when I got home, I called the Miami Entertainment Dept. to check and they insisted that they will be breaking on August 15th. The Miami Office said that maybe they didn't understand their contract date. Who do would believe the band or the Office.... I always thought the office would know for sure. Thanks for your reply. Mary
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Entertainment on ships

Does anyone know how often Carnival changes their shows. We saw the same show on the Celebration in May, 2006 and on the Holiday in August 2006. My sister just sailed the Holiday in June 2007 and they still have the same shows.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Talk about spending $$$ for a concert.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.