Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do not believe that the entertainment is less then it once was, it is just more of what people want to hear. Ok not everybody likes the same kind of music, shows, whatever. The cruise lines can not and will never be able to make everyone happy no matter what the cruise. I can not believe that there is not some form of entertainment on every ship that does not appeal to everyone. Ok, not in the location you may want, not at the times you may want, but you are not the only one on the ship and the cruise lines are trying to please a majority of cruisers.

Does the quantity of a certain type of entertainment more in line with certain cruise lines, sure, but that is what makes cruising what it is. A chance to find that one particular line that caters to the majority of things you want a on cruise.

I think it is unfair to call a cruiser a dog or flea, just because like 1 type of cruising over another, no matter what the costs.

A cruise is what you make it, so find that quiet spot, and I am told that each ship has a quiet, even secret spot, and enjoy. Take a moment and go to listen to the string trio, even if it is not in the area you wish it were in, just enjoy the fact you are on a cruise and not working.

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am 41 and from Texas. Being a product child of the 70's I obviously like real disco music. Can I look forward to hearing the Bee Gees and Abba in Henri's Disco when we sail on the Conquest? Or will it be Hip-Hop? Another obvious.... being from Texas, I enjoy country music. Will I be able to hear any country either live or in clubs? Don't get me wrong, I was in my 20's in the 80's and enjoy everything from Elvis, Classic Rock, Reggae, Swing and Country all the way to Vanilla Ice. Also being the dad of now 20 year olds I learned to adapt to (and also enjoyed) most of the Top 40 while they were teens. However much of the music today (as one post implied) is X Rated and I can do without it.

I am really hoping to we will have the time of our lives on our first cruise. So much so that I already think we will want to start sailing every year.

JUST PLEASE TELL ME THEY PLAY REAL DISCO AND COUNTRY

Carnival Conquest Oct. 2006
Carnival Conquest Nov. 2005
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes - you will probably hear a lot of traditional disco on the ship. The DJs play to their audience and they know not everyone wants to hear Ludikris
Old November 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Default Great duo on the Horizon

We sailed the Eastern Carribean last February and enjoyed a classical duo every night we could (she ended up with the flu). They were a brother/sister act. She played the violin and he played the piano. We sought them out every night. They usually played in Michael's which was a wonderful cigar bar (without the cigars lol).
We thoroughly enjoy the Carribean style music that's played by the pool. It's our favorite way to begin a cruise. We don't usually hear that type of music any other time of the year but if we do, it immediately makes us long for a cruise and I start looking for my next booking ASAP. I think it's wonderful that the cruise lines try to satisfy everyone and unless you're on a really small ship, you should be able to avoid the music you don't like and find the music you do. Even if I had to listen to music I didn't like, it wouldn't erase the constant "cruise smile" I wear from the time I board until a few months after I disembark.
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Taking a cruise used to be only for the more affluent. Carnival Cruise Line changed all of that in the mid to late 70's other cruise lines have followed. Take a cruise on Crystal and you will find a whole different type of passenger then on let's say Carnival or RCCL or simular lines. Cruise lines play what people want to hear or what they think they want to hear. Are they going to sell more booze if Mozart is playing or Usher?
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Lines Don't Get It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Ogden
What I did not care for was the hype and pushiness to go buy diamonds!

I did not go on a cruise in order to buy diamonds.

I am not a diamond person.

For all those diamond type personalities out there, you need to take the cruise that we just did!
Ellen that is easy to fix-just don't attend the shop talks for jewelry.( they also push the tanzies very heavily-not just diamonds). I have never bought a diamond on a cruise-but I did find the info on grading diamonds worth atttending the talks-it sure helped me to make better purchases back at home.
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to lannecharico

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoingJLW
You are so right.

Music as such does not seem to exist aboard ships any more. What happened to the marvelous classics that performers used to sing and/or play?
What happened to the wonderful classical concerts that used to be offered?
Now all we get is shouting, screeching and blaring.

Joan

When I was young, my parents said that the music was loud and loisey. "What was this world comming to". Is this what you are saying about the new music? I am proud to be 63 yrs andlooking forward to my next cruise on one of those mega ships.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Let me cite the wonderful pre-dinner concerts in the Garden Lounge on board the Vistafjord, when she sailed for Cunard.

Let me mention pianists like Brooks Ahron.

I could go on and on. What has caused the deterioration in entertainment?

Joan
You stopped sailing with Cunard. There are luxury cruise lines and there are mass market cruise lines. The QMII will likely have more of the type of entertainment you like.

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Passenger

I must be in the minority…I have very eclectic tastes in music and have never had a problem finding music to my taste (which can change in a heartbeat) on board ship. I will say that I find the big productions shows to be cheesy, although still somewhat entertaining. (Note to cruise directors: those shows are NOT Broadway style. They are VEGAS style).

I have enjoyed classical over Irish coffee, sing-along in the piano bar, excellent rock and roll cover bands, and the ships’ orchestras playing swing music. I even enjoy (in moderation) the steel drums on deck.

I don’t do the art auctions…I’ve worked in an art museum and I find much of what they sell to be nothing I couldn’t get in New York for a comparable price. But many people DO enjoy them, and they don’t bother me…so why the fuss?

I usually book a balcony room, and usually by the time I am looking for quiet time, it’s also when it’s time to take my pale self out of direct sunlight. Between two and four I can be found enjoying the peace and quiet, and ocean breeze, just outside of my room, with a good book.

The ships are bigger, and more mass-market than they used to be. It just means you pick up that daily itinerary and look for what suits you.

And hey, I’m still not at work…what can be bad?
8/01 Victory
8/02 Victory
3/03 Legend
5/04 Triumph
1/05 Glory
8/06 RCL Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Freedom!
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Admiral

We have never heard "rap" music onboard of any of our cruises. The music has been loud at times so we just moved on. The atriums, in the afternoons and evenings have had quiet, classical themes.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Passenger

I keep waiting for someone to post "You damn kids! Get off my lawn!"

Seriously, while I've heard the occasional Nelly tune on the pool deck, I have never heard anything even remotely "X Rated" anywhere other than the disco, after midnight. And that was more risque, or mild profanity than any sort of explicit gansta rap.

I don't know if Carnival is different, as I have only sailed Royal Caribbean, but on RCCL, I have heard jazz piano, mellow classical guitar, swing and pop standards and most notably, every night at dinner on the Rhapsody of the Seas, a violinist plays off and on througout dinner in the main dining room. In addition, there is upbeat pop, rock, R & B and Country music (recorded) and Caribbean music (live) played on the pool deck, disco and yes, rap and other R&B dance music in the Viking Crown Lounge disco. The band that plays mostly in the Shall We Dance Lounge (although it differs from cruise to cruise) generally plays a mix of pop, rock, country and classic rock.

More importantly, to those who complain that they can't find a quiet place to relax, they must not be looking very hard. As I mentioned before, I may be completely wrong about htis if you're talking about a Carnival ship, as I don't have personal experience on thier boats and I have been told by some that they felt like the music was too loud and piped into too many places onboard where is should have been quiet. But on RCCL, there are sections of deck, including an observatory deck that generally are blissfully serene. During the day, they make a point of setting aside certain hours in the Viking Crown Lounge as a "quiet zone." There is also the solarium pool, which is adults only, and tends to stay fairly peaceful.
Additionally, there are a number of lounges throughout the ship that have great sea views and any music is of the mellow jazzy or easy listening variety.

I do sympathize with those who feel as if their ship has been invaded by a bunch of wild young whippersnappers. I think of how I would feel on a ship full of nothing but retirees. Pass the sunscreen and the metamucil, please.

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Actually loved hearing a band play old Bob Marley tunes poolside on The Splendour of the sees. That is fine. Rap and Hip Hop just ain't got a Caribbean beat.

I too remember when staff were true hosts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitmarGuy
The whole concept of entertainment needs revision IMHO. The most irritating mistake cruise lines make is the loud music played poolside and in lounges all day long. The music is too often of the "party-Caribbean of urban R&B type. Would it be too much to have something soft like classy jazz or maybee NO MUSIC played poolside! We once tried to enjoy sailing into a stunning sunset in a Viking Crown Lounge with blaring rap! Very inappropriate to the situation. Mentioning this to the CR fell on deaf ears. He didn't see the problem.

Cruise directors on social staff should once again be recruited for social skills and finnese. These days, CR"s seem nothing more than MC"s to "remind" us of all the revenue outlets on-board. Social staff "conduct" activities with their cheerleader rah-rahish style. These young people seem to have difficulty relating to anyone over 30. I remember when not too long ago when staff were true hosts.

And one last thought: Art auctions are nothing more than a thinly veiled gimmick, not a true "activity", and should be made illegal....!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Response to Bruce Chafkin...

Mr. Chafkin,

Although you posted your response on Cruisemates Decmeber 24, 2004, I am a new member and was surfing on the site.

I am a professional educator in the State of Florida. I work and work hard for a living. I also must work an additional two jobs to run my home.

I am allowed only so much vacation with limited savings, but they are very precious to me and I sail on Royal Caribbean. You called me a "dog" and stated that I had "fleas".

Sir, could you be a Wealthy Republican, by chance? My suggestion would be that you sail on the QM2 and leave the rest of our "pack alone"
I am certain your response will be that you already have sailed on her.
(Bully, for you!)

I am very dismayed at your untoward comments and I would appreciate, even after all this time, a printed retort and apology to all the hard-working people who make you look good (someone ha to) so that you can thumb your nose at us!

Diane Jeanne White

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Actually loved hearing a band play old Bob Marley tunes poolside on The Splendour of the Seas. That is fine. Rap and Hip Hop just ain't got a Caribbean beat.

I too remember when staff were true hosts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitmarGuy
The whole concept of entertainment needs revision IMHO. The most irritating mistake cruise lines make is the loud music played poolside and in lounges all day long. The music is too often of the "party-Caribbean of urban R&B type. Would it be too much to have something soft like classy jazz or maybee NO MUSIC played poolside! We once tried to enjoy sailing into a stunning sunset in a Viking Crown Lounge with blaring rap! Very inappropriate to the situation. Mentioning this to the CR fell on deaf ears. He didn't see the problem.

Cruise directors on social staff should once again be recruited for social skills and finnese. These days, CR"s seem nothing more than MC"s to "remind" us of all the revenue outlets on-board. Social staff "conduct" activities with their cheerleader rah-rahish style. These young people seem to have difficulty relating to anyone over 30. I remember when not too long ago when staff were true hosts.

And one last thought: Art auctions are nothing more than a thinly veiled gimmick, not a true "activity", and should be made illegal....!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequent Cruiser
We absolutely hate art auctions. Anyone know how/when/which cruise line started offering this junk?

If the auctions were totally out of sight, with no art strewn throughout the ship, it wouldn't be quite so bad.
Problem is that while you may hate art auctions, obviously there are a lot of people that do love them. Those art auctions represent major bucks to the cruise line and as long as people buy, ships will always have them. Believe me, if Park West wasn't raking in the dough ... and the cruise line getting commissions on that ... art auctions would disappear from ships faster than you can snap your fingers.

Same with Bingo, gold by the inch, etc., etc. They are big moneymakers.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

To-date I have been on seven cruises, incl Golden Princess to Antarctica this past winter. I have never been disappointed with the quality of music on any cruise. Variety is the key!. I love to dance and can dance to any style of music (rap is difficult!) - ballroom, swing, latin, country, line-dancing, etc. So, I guess I am easy to please.

Art auctions are fun, even if I don't buy anything.

Jim from Ottawa, Canada.

69 working days to retirement - will celebrate with four B2B cruises on the Glory! Yahoo...
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I hate to say it but my husband and I go to the art auction to have some free champagne and people watch. On our last cruise I surprised the gentleman sitting at the booth next to us was able to walk out. He had have had at a minimum 10 glasses of champagne. There was a couple who were arguing over the picture the wife won and the husband did not want. We never bid but we do sign up for the drawings. Never won one yet though. I agree that at times the music by the pool is too loud. I don't mind the music but a little quieter would be nice.
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
First Mate

[quote="jimh49"]To-date I have been on seven cruises, incl Golden Princess to Antarctica this past winter. I have never been disappointed with the quality of music on any cruise. Variety is the key!. I love to dance and can dance to any style of music (rap is difficult!)

True, that. It's hard to hum or whistle, too.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:49 AM
StephenAGoreJr

this whole threa makes me feel young. there is nothing wrong with a lot of music you guys have listed. However today in a disco on ship the hip hop would get the most people to dance. Piano Bar is whatever and out at the pool I love when the Reggae Band plays!
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Passenger

My attitude is that the ship is big and I can easily find the activities in which I would like to participate. And I can easily avoid the ones I don't like. Every now and then some activity will crowd the hall I want to get through, but it's no big deal. Ever been to Disneyland in July? Now there's a crowd.

I really enjoy the music aspect of cruising. Deck parties provide lots of high energy muisc during the day and the discos provide it at night. Piano bars provide great sing-a-long tunes. At times I can catch easy listening and jazz. I really enjoy classical and chamber music. My favorites are string quartets and violin solos. I avoid country music and I don't find either rap or hip hop very entertaining listening. Although hip hop can make for good dancing in the disco.

I've never encoutered R-Rated music being played before midnight on any cruise I've sailed. (I've never sailed a Carnival sailing.)

To those of you who can dance, especially all occasions, I am envious. I hope to make the time to become accomplished in this social area. Lessons seem prohibitively expensive. I'll trade snow skiing lessons for dance lessons.

But back to the subject at hand - One activity I look forward to is quiet time on the pool deck (aft pool on a HAL is my favorite: railings on three sides giving me a real 'on the ocean' feeling). Even listening to my MP3 player, I typically cannot block out the music being played on the loud speakers. I just wish they played it more quietly so as to better enjoy what I feel is the best aspect of a sea day. But even at that it only brings my entire cruise experience down an infinitesimally small amount.

Happy sailing.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

I know this is an old thread but I just read through it and I gotta say it!

Disco........DISCO IS DEAD AND HAS BEEN FOR OVER 20 YRS.
Disco sucks! I never liked it when it was alive either; and I'm 46 so I'm in that age group. I think the "discos" on board should be called dance clubs and the disco music should be left out. I always see the disco empty or close to it. What a waste.

Opera........."Death by music"

The rest is all good.

As for Art Auctions....just goes with the whole "we'll sell you anything we can and as much of it as we can" approach that we see on pretty much all the ships I've been on.

Doesn't ruin a cruise of course, "no thanks" is a complete sentance.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Au contrare - disco lives! Stagflation is back, Peace with Honor is coming to Iraq, and my money is on the return of Pet Rocks. Grab your leisure suit and lets party like its 1979! Surely you remember 1979 - inflated housing prices, high oil, and that little recession waiting just over the horizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgr8fl2cruise
I know this is an old thread but I just read through it and I gotta say it!

Disco........DISCO IS DEAD AND HAS BEEN FOR OVER 20 YRS.
Disco sucks! I never liked it when it was alive either; and I'm 46 so I'm in that age group. I think the "discos" on board should be called dance clubs and the disco music should be left out. I always see the disco empty or close to it. What a waste.

Opera........."Death by music"

The rest is all good.

As for Art Auctions....just goes with the whole "we'll sell you anything we can and as much of it as we can" approach that we see on pretty much all the ships I've been on.

Doesn't ruin a cruise of course, "no thanks" is a complete sentance.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yeoman

Default T-shirts and Rap music

K-mart, Dogs, Fleas? Getting a little personal? I like rap music. I also like all types of music. I don't care for country music, but if they played it all day it wouldn't bother me. Lighten up. If you want more music geared toward older cruisers, take a cruise geared for older cruisers. I'd be willing to bet you'll never hear rap on a Regent cruise.

Oh I also like T-shirts.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin