Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2004, 01:09 PM
hcat

Default Dance lessons

Do any of the lines offer dance lessons as an afternoon activity & or dance couple performances at night. Thisused to be offered al the time in the catskills & was enjoyed by even the young ones back then--old ones now!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Eve

Default Re: Dance lessons

well, i went on a carnival cruise and that i saw they offered three dance lessons, one was ballroom dancing, one was austin powers dance class and the last one was saturday night fever dance class.

Eve
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna
Default Re: Re: Dance lessons

itook the austin powers class.. it was fun!
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Eve

i going through the caper the other day and i also noticed there was a country line dancing class
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Captain

Would love to see more dance classes. Very basic so everyone could see how easy it is to look good on the dance floor. Years ago my daughter and I were on a cruise and spent time every night teaching individuals different line dances. Now My husband and I love to dance and would love to share with others. See some of you on the Norwegian Star 11/21/04
Susan
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

testing

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM
hcat

Turns out there was a whole variety of lessons on celebrity Constellation but much as we were interested they were not given at times we were available. Maybe next time.
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Judye

just got off Royal Caribbean Radiance - line dance and salsa in the afternoon and country line dancing in the evening - those were the lessons; dancing available in the disco and Colony club - also the Centrum - but way too small for any reall ballroom steps.
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:08 PM
hcat

hope they'll have some on Brilliance in march!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Passenger

I have noticed on RCCL that they always have line dancing lessons probably because they sometimes have a western. On celebrity they had the jive and tango. Keep on checking in the daily activities sheet. On longer cruises they tend to repeat the sessions a few times. The only thing I noticed was there tends to more females than males so it is a good idea to bring a partner with you.

CD
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

i think swing dance lessons would be fun. Maybe I will reccommend them to Carnival.

Old January 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are the dance classes included in the price of the cruise?

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

Hello!

I just returned from teaching dance lessons on the NCL Dream.
Cruise lines often use agencys to place couples on cruises to teach the dance lessons, though the line dancing and specialty party dances are often taught by the cruise director's staff.

I taught 6 one hour classes on the seven night voyage: Swing, Cha Cha, Line Dancing, Square Dancing, Two-Step and another Swing class.

On three nights the NCL Dream Show Band played Ballroom music in the theatre where we social danced for about an hour either before or between shows.

The classes I taught were up to me...the cruise director and I met the first afternoon and discussed what I'd be doing. You (and the cruise director) may not know until you sail if there will be a dance couple on board. So it will vary cruise to cruise depending on the couple hired and the space available for dancing. Ships these days, sans the QM2, don't have ballrooms or large dance floors....

My next cruise is on the NCL Jewel as a dance host...I sure hope there will be dancing so I can earn my Keep!

Hope
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Passenger

I just got off the Caribbean Princess and they had both Ballroom and Country Line dancing 3-4 Nights a week. The instructor was really fun! The price was included as well.
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Most RCI cruises have dance classes, and I have been on a few Carnival cruises where there wasn't any dance classes. The classes are one of the funnest ways to exercise and learn something new. When I am on a cruise I always do all of the classes, plus you can meet some cool people. I still know some of the dances I learned on a cruise.
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Almost every cruise I've ever taken has offered at least line dancing classes, and usually swing, cha-cha, or some others as well. They are great fun, and free. They are also a great way to meet others aboard the ship.
Ken
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Passenger

On the Holiday they offered cha-cha, swing, Austin Powers and line dancing.

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

They had them on the Carnival Miracle last week. Only problem was they were ONLY offered at 8:30 p.m. on certain nights. So if you had late dinner (8:15 pm) which we did, we missed them. We really wanted to go to them but didn't want to have to forfeit dinner in the dining room to go. Would have been nice to have them offered a couple of different times.

Kim
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Just off Carnival "Liberty", where they even offered Hip-Hop dancing! I should have gone to see what it was, but didn't. They offered the usual Line Dancing, and Ballroom dancing as well!

Ken
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I have taken the classes on Princess and Carnival.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Familiar Face

Took Salsa lessons on Carnival Paradise Thanksgiving weekend, booked trip with a Salsa group but everybody on board was invited to the lessons.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

We had fun ballroom dancing and I took the line dance lessons on the Caribbean Princess. Line dance lessons were for beginners but were fun anyway. I loooooove to dance!
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Passenger

PO Cruises always have ballroom/latin american dance classes on board - usually in the afternoons on sea days. They have always been very good and get you ready for a good ole dance in the evening.
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Been on a couple of cruise lines, and the last one Celebrity Infinity had quite a bit of dancing and classes on board including Argentinian Tango, Salsa, Line dancing, and other latin and ballroom classes. There was enough room to do a bit of serious dancing on one of the three dance floors, and the music varied quite a bit at night in each of the lounges so you could do anything from salsa to a bit of waltz if you wanted. The classes were all included but if you wanted you could have additional classes for the Tango but these were extra.

I also went on Princess a few times and generally they had nothing to shout about, apart from one cruise that we did and this was on Regal Princess which had a really nice size dance floor and I think it use to be a P&O ship prior to Princess. This had two dance teachers on there called Jackie and Jamie McVicar. They were English and ballroom and Latin dance champions. They did classes nearly every day which were included in the cruise. The classes were very good, and the ship catered for this in the evening by having music in the lounge with the dance floor by having a band that played the appropriate music to dance ballroom and latin to.

I must admit I have tried to find Jackie and Jamie to see where they are now, but have up to now been unable to. So if anyone knows let me know please.