CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Entertainment on Ships (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/entertainment-ships/)
-   -   Salary of the entertainers? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/entertainment-ships/388839-salary-entertainers.html)

oceanbound22 April 14th, 2012 05:07 PM

Salary of the entertainers?

Anyone know the average salary of the singers / dancers on a cruise ship? I heard it is not much as the cruise itself is considered part of the salary package.

Lakers Fan April 15th, 2012 05:15 PM

I don't think they make that much . I have a cousin who was a musician in a top rock band ,he decided to leave and form his own band and got a job working for a hotel in Bermuda .The salary was room and board ,that was it .He implied that it was similiar on cruise ships .

buttons16 April 17th, 2012 06:17 PM

I just search for an article on average salery singers and dancers on cruise ships....

The article read that the average salery is approx $25,000 a year and health insurance is not included. Based on that average the pay is less then a $100 a day. based on a 5 day work week...I bet they work more then 5 days a week if you include rehearsals... and a couple of shows a night all equals to LOW wages for lots of work. But then again the cruise line figures they are non revenue producers so they pay what they feel they are worth or pay what they can get away with.

Kuki April 17th, 2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1425135)
I don't think they make that much . I have a cousin who was a musician in a top rock band ,he decided to leave and form his own band and got a job working for a hotel in Bermuda .The salary was room and board ,that was it .He implied that it was similiar on cruise ships .

That's not true. A friend's son worked as a dancer in a ship's troupe for several years. Though the salarie's aren't humongous, you'll find most ship's performers (other than some of the "headliners") are quite young.

They view it as a chance to travel, have fun, and practice and develop their craft while doing so.

You'll often see the entertainers helping guides on shore excursions, because by doing so they get to participate in the tour for free.

Lakers Fan April 17th, 2012 07:33 PM

Not always

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1425492)
That's not true. A friend's son worked as a dancer in a ship's troupe for several years. Though the salarie's aren't humongous, you'll find most ship's performers (other than some of the "headliners") are quite young.

They view it as a chance to travel, have fun, and practice and develop their craft while doing so.

You'll often see the entertainers helping guides on shore excursions, because by doing so they get to participate in the tour for free.

Members of the ships singing groups on my cruise last year were in their 30's and 40's .

Kuki April 17th, 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1425503)
Members of the ships singing groups on my cruise last year were in their 30's and 40's .

Probably member of the Acapella group. There's not a lot of places an acapella group can make a living on land.

I'd bet they didn't much enjoy their cruise ship gig after the first couple of months or so. They'd be living, eating, etc. with fellow staff who are much younger, in an environment more condusive to them.

The advantage for them, is that they wouldn't be working that hard I suppose.

Hira June 27th, 2012 03:39 AM

I have no idea about how much they are getting but I am strong feeling that they are in a good range of packages.

aerospace June 27th, 2012 05:14 AM

Cruise director on my last trip said they make about 2000/month with the singers slightly more. This of course is based on experience and not a flat rate. Most performers work for an outside company like the spa personnel. They are hired for their 6month contract and pay would be through them via auto bank transfer. The cruise line doesn't pay them anything as far as I know.

There was a backstage tour and some people asked similar questions.

Snoozeman June 27th, 2012 09:23 AM

There always seems to be an endless supply of talent who WANT to work on a cruise ship.

Phil&Liz June 27th, 2012 08:26 PM

My fathers first contract was a last minute replacement gig. He was asked to not tell the other musicians what he was being paid. One could presume it was because it was more than the rest were getting due to it being a last minute need.

tomwestonpianoman May 31st, 2013 08:15 AM

i'm a featured singer on RCCL.

Dancers earn 2-3k a month
non-featured singers (B2, G2, F2, M2) 3-4k a month
featured singers (B1, G1, F1, M1) 4-7k a month

Rickie Schleider October 5th, 2013 05:38 AM

Different entertainers are charging different rates for their services. According to my opinion $60 plus per day is reasonable and majority of entertainers are charging this rate.