Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Captain

Default Botched entertainment

I don't want this to be viewed as a gripe entry, but I had been thinking about couple of on cruise entertainment acts that went awry. The first was a unicyclists who was performing in a small bar area. the unicycle was roughly five foot high so when the operator lost his balance he had quite a fall. Fortunately he caught himself and the unicyle before it crashed into audience.
The second show was a mind reader who would be able to give audience volunteers their phone numbers after being introduced. The trick of the act became exposed when the mind reader could not get the information from his assistant offstage who did phone book searches. The act was caught short.

I really think these and other cruise entertainers are courageous people. On one cruise the entertainer selected a gentleman out of the audience and made a few
jokes. The supposedly went along with the jokes but after the show claimed that he had been discriminated against. Don't know what the outcome was.
Finally, the entertainer used bolos to entertain the audience. The gutsy part of this act was to get a volunteer to sit while he ruffled their hair with the bolos. This act was fraught with potential disaster. If the volunteer flinched
a nasty blow might be delivered by the bolo. However the volunteer in the show that I witnessed was a physician and came through the experience with his hair ruffled on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am not sure what a bolo is - is it a hat?

But yes, BPC. I certainly know what you mean about live stage entertainment. Especially "mind readers" - there is almost always some kind of trick t it. - Must be hard when your cellphone internet access is so slow at sea that you can't get the phone numbers in time. Funny!

I was a stage manager and there was a ventriloquist who supposedly drank a glass of water while throwing his voice. While he drank, the dummy's voice was done by his girlfriend with a mic backstage. That's not confined to cruise ships, however. All live entertainment is prone to mishaps - that's what makes it fun, right?
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Admiral

You must be referring to El Gaucho and his bolo act. He has been around for years and from what I know he has never injured anyone.

Here is a video of him doing the act on a Royal Caribbean ship. He also is a pretty decent classical guitarist.
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I like his joke "Just relax, I don't intend to hurt you.... it will be an accident."
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Captain

Default Great line. Which prompts another memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I like his joke "Just relax, I don't intend to hurt you.... it will be an accident."
This event occured in the comedy corner. There was a gentleman in the audience who had a pair of large headphones on. Well naturally, the comedian started to pick on the individual by asking the man what station he was listening to. The man's wife responded that the headset was to reduce the intensity of offending sounds.