CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Euro-Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/euro-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Help first-timer choose itinerary (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/euro-cruise-lines/373875-help-first-timer-choose-itinerary.html)

CrystalPrincess May 17th, 2010 12:38 AM

Help first-timer choose itinerary

:confused:HELP WANTED:confused:

I know I want to either start or end in Rome and also visit Venice and Florence (Livorno) but definitely do not want to see anything east of Italy. It looks to me like all itineraries, no matter what cruise line I select, go east of Venice, not west, the direction I prefer. Is there any way to see both Venice and Western Europe in the same trip? I have already decided Crystal is my top preference, especially the Serenity, but worry I must have an open mind about both ships and ports of call. What am I supposed to do? I will not sail until 2012 because I am waiting for Mom to retire but want to make all decisions before she can book it.

Manuel August 23rd, 2010 09:09 AM

To really see the destinations in Europe that you want to see, and have plenty of time to enjoy them, you have to do a land vacation

TM

galaxysunshine January 17th, 2011 08:30 PM

I had the same problem. My solution was to fly into Venice and then fly to Barcelona (less than 100). Then fly out of Barcelona back to the states. I choose RCL Western Med that stops in Toulon and Nice, France and then Florence, Rome and Naples with one day at sea. I also looked at NCL but they cut out a port so you have 2 days at sea. I am interested in seeing Europe not so much in the Cruise Ship.

The flights are cheap enough in Europe that we considered doing 3 days in London, 2 days in Venice and then our cruise. We decided on 5 days in London with a day trip to Paris. The Eurostar only cost $108 roundtrip. I also looked into Eurorail Italy and 3 country pass but it was more expensive and I hate packing and unpacking, which my OCD makes a requirement at every hotel. You also spent a lot of time on trains. It takes about an hour to two to get anywhere in Europe by plane.

Tip when booking your flights which I did independently -- the flight from US To Venice and then Barcelona to US. If you try to do a 3 destination booking it raise the prices substantly -- $1000 or more and the one way flight from Venice to BCN is cheap. We ended up deciding to go to London and spend a week and then onto Barcelona. The flight from LCY to BCN was 124. My roundtrip ticket to and from DFW to LHR and then BCN to DFW was $1350. The cruise line wanted $1500. I think I got a great deal! I ended up using AA.com because my friend has perks like free luggage etc and she keep making rules like no more than 1 stop. She wanted nonstop but there are not any nonstop flights from BCN to DFW.

AF1 February 21st, 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess (Post 1292174)

I know I want to either start or end in Rome and also visit Venice and Florence (Livorno) but definitely do not want to see anything east of Italy. It looks to me like all itineraries, no matter what cruise line I select, go east of Venice, not west, the direction I prefer. Is there any way to see both Venice and Western Europe in the same trip? I have already decided Crystal is my top preference, especially the Serenity, but worry I must have an open mind about both ships and ports of call. What am I supposed to do? I will not sail until 2012 because I am waiting for Mom to retire but want to make all decisions before she can book it.

You can sail Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas out of Venice; it goes to Dubrovnik, Santorini, Corfu, and Kudiashi(Ephasus), great itinerary, beautiful islands; u could fly into Rome and spend a few days in Rome or Florence, then take train to Venice. My wife and I did this cruise in 09. We also did Best of Europe in 2010

anniegb February 21st, 2011 09:37 AM

Hi

I know this year Hal's Nieuw Amsterdam has an itinerary that starts in Barcelons and ends in Venice.

JMHO, Rome from a cruise ship is not the best way - I think the port is 40 miles away.

As Manuel suggested, sometimes land is the best option.

Annie

AF1 February 23rd, 2011 11:29 AM

Royal Caribbean does off cruise/land vacation packages for Italy and Europe. U sail for a week and do land excursions for a week.

green_rd February 23rd, 2011 01:28 PM

It seems there are many itineraries that depart from Barcelona or Southampton that don't go east of Venice - though you are really missing out if you don't.

Also, Costa has routes that navigate around Italy if that is your focus.

Trackypup February 23rd, 2011 01:48 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is here but....A: Crystal's 2012 itineraries aren't even out and B: there's tons of cruises that do Western Med. and Venice.

poftravel March 4th, 2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPrincess (Post 1292174)

Hi there, you need to get a travel agent to assist you, it costs nothing more and you can have someone to get you the best possiable deals and advice !!!!

Paul Motter March 14th, 2011 07:48 PM

The only drawback to Crystal (and there are not many) is that they only have 2 ships so you pretty much have to go with whatever they offer.