Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2000, 11:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Disturbing news

Just heard on the news that Turkey might be a trouble spot in the Mediterranean and that Americans should be wary and avoid crowds etc. Makes me a little concerned about our cruise on the Golden next June. Have any of you heard anything about this? Helen
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2000, 01:44 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default RE: Disturbing news

Ships that are cancelling port calls in Israel are substituting ports in Turkey and Greece, so the must deem Turkey fairly safe. Turkey is one of those on and off trouble spots, but I'm not aware of any current tensions.

Frankly, it's never wise to advertise yourself as an American overseas, especially in the Middle East, parts of Africa, and even Turkey. My foreign friends tell me that our propensity for wearing athletic shoes for all occasions is a dead giveaway!

Go to http://travel.state.gov/ to stay apprised of developing situations overseas and warnings for tourists.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Helen,

There's no reason to be concerned about security and safety throughout most of Turkey. The Turks will tell you -- quite emphatically -- that they are not Arabs even though they are predominantly (97%) Moslem. It's fairly evident from their membership in NATO and their application for full membership in the European Union that their sympathies are much more Western than Arab. In fact, their tour guides almost gloat over the fact that they don't care that they don't have any oil because they have a resource that sells for three times the price of oil on the world market and that without it, in the desert, you die. This resource, BTW, is called "fresh water" -- and the Arab countries are very dependent upon it.

Turkey is a very large country. There has been a small amount of Kurdish unrest is a small region in the southeastern corner, which is hundreds of miles from any of the areas where cruise ships call. It does not pose any danger whatsoever to the areas where you are likely to go.

Additionally, security in Turkey is very tight, especially at places like airports, where terrorist groups are likely to strike, and at many of the tourist attractions where there's concern of both terrorist threats and heists of various treasures.

I would not hesitate to return to Turkey!

Norm.

P. S.: How many times did you post this same scare story on these boards?
Old December 6th, 2000, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Helen, We were concerned about going to Turkey. Unfortunately we have had to cancel and we will not be able to meet on board like we talked about. Maybe next time. I hope you all enjoy your cruise. Toni