Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2000, 10:23 PM
Karen Allison

Default Legend of the Seas Itinerary Change

Well, our cruise which was to include Israeli ports and a stop in Aqaba, Jordan along with Egypt and Mombasa for a safari has been rerouted. Instead of the Israeli and Jordani ports, we're going to Kusadasi and Santorini.

So ... any advice about those ports anyone?

And a shoulder to cry on?

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2000, 01:36 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default RE: Legend of the Seas Itinerary Change

Kusadasi is the jump-off point to see the spectacular ancient city of Ephesus. No doubt there'll be several tours available to book on the ship and in port. Be sure to bargain with the shopkeepers near Ephesus and in Kusadasi. It's expected.

Some say that Santorini is the remains of the lost city of Atlantis. I'm not so sure about that and I'm not familiar with its specific attractions, but the pictures I've seen are spectacular. White-washed buildings with sky-blue roofs overlooking a sparkling sea. Find an open-air taverna and enjoy an ouzo and the views!
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Karen,

From Kusadasi (pronounced "Kush'-adasi" which literally means "bird island" and written with a cedilla under the first "s" that I can't replicate on the computer in Turkish), I highly recommend the complete tour of Ephesus for anybody who is able to walk. Essentially, this is the tour that includes Mary's house, the ruins of the ancient city, and the ruins of the Basilica of St. John the Evangelist. However, there are tours which omit one or another of these sites if one or another is not of interest to you. The full tour takes only half a day, so you will have plenty of time to shop at the bazaar located right at the end of the pier in Kusadasi if you wish to do so.

I have not visited any of the Greek Isles yet, so I can't make any recommendations on Santorini.

Do have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 2nd, 2000, 09:09 PM
Admiral

There is a caution statement now up from the State Department for Egypt. It is a step below a "warning". Will be interesting to see what they do with this itinerary. I wonder if they will avoid Suez completely and go west from Athens, through Gibraltar, down the West Coast of Africa, stopping at Capetown and perhaps Durban... arriving on time at Mombasa. They could then continue the rest of the Royal Journeys itinerary, departing on time from Mombasa. Just speculation.

Ernie