Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Can't decide between itineraries

My husband and I, both in our mid 40s, are planning to go on our first cruise next fall for our 15th wedding anniversary. We have narrowed our selection down to 3 cruises in the Mediterranean. (They are all on the Radisson Seven Seas line, primarily because we have a preference for smaller ships -- and because we are looking for something less than 12 days because of child-care issues back home. It seems that most other cruise lines don't offer trips of intermediate length.) Because we haven't been to the Mediterranean before, we're looking for some help from some of you. Which would you recommend?:

1) 9 days: Rome, Capri, Taormina, Santorini, Athens, Kusadisi, Canakkale, Istanbul
2) 10: Haifa, Ashdod, Port Said, Alexandria, Irakleon, Valletta, Tunis, Cagliari, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona
3) 11: Nice, Rome, Capri, Taormina, Athens, Kusadisi, Rhodes, Antalya, Damascus, Limassol, Haifa

Also -- my husband is worried about how safe it is to travel in Israel given the unrest there. Are the ports fairly safe for American tourists?

Thanks very much for any advice/perspective you can offer.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Mike Mastellar

Default Re: Can't decide between itineraries

Pam;
My personal choice would be intinerary #1. Santorini is beautiful and I found Istanbul to be a wonderful place with great shops and very friendly people. I do hear that Rome is about an hours jaunt from Civatavecchia. (The port for Rome)

You can keep up with the latest State Department Travel Warnings by clicking on the links section on the left side of the screen.

Or go directly to the State Department link at:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/resources.cfm#state>

I hope this helps.

Mike

Old January 25th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Normally, I'd recommend the itinerary that includes Israel and Egypt. But most cruise lines will probably knock Israel off their itineraries this summer if the situation doesn't improve. Right now, tourists aren't going to Israel at all.

I'd probably pick the first itinerary you list, but be sure to spend at least two or three nights in Rome before you depart. It's is around 1 l/2 hours form the port (Civitecchia) to Rome, so you'll see very little in a one-day port call (itinerary 3). And, this schedule also includes Kusadasi, port of Ephesus, one of the greatest ruins in the world. It's on par with Pompeii. Santorini is the picture-perfect Greek Isle and Taorima is a charming small town perched high above a harbor. Istanbul is interesting, but one day will take care of most sightseeing.

Radisson is a fabulous cruise line. I'm sure you'll be delighted.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates
Old February 3rd, 2001, 11:11 PM
paradocs

Dear Ann,

What ports do you think would be substituted for Israel and possibly Cairo? I am scheduled on the June sailing of Rotterdam VI which includes these ports. These port were my primary reason for choosing this cruise.

Thanks for any help!
Old February 3rd, 2001, 11:11 PM
paradocs

Dear Ann,

What ports do you think would be substituted for Israel and possibly Cairo? I am scheduled on the June sailing of Rotterdam VI which includes these ports. These port were my primary reason for choosing this cruise.

Thanks for any help!
Old February 9th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Mary Jane

Ever wondered what lays beyond Rome and before the well-trodden hills of Tuscany? I am a guide-book writer and have lived in Italy for over 35 years, now in the area just beyond Civitavecchia port .
For those planning a cruise with a Civitavecchia stop, you may be interested in receiving a free newsletter about the Etruria area: Just email etruria99@yahoo.com and I will put you on the mailing list with other 500 connoisseurs of Italian life.

This is the real Italy filled with Renaissance palazzi, gardens, charming hill top towns., spas, everything but the tourists. All this is just over the hills from the port of Civitavecchia.
Take a look at my site www.dbws.com/etruria/home.htm to see my friends' castles, B&Bs, what the area has to offer.
A US study program has chosen Viterbo, the area's capital, as seat for their new study-abroad program, so the word is out...
Come and enjoy the pleasures of the Italian countryside for the day, instead of a strenuous and expensive transfer to Rome.
macryan@tin.it
Old March 25th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Passenger

I would probably opt for the nine day Rome to Istanbul itinerary. You start and end in two of the best places to visit in the world, so if you have the time, you can add extra days at either end and be enthralled. Israel is a little iffy now, with all the problems (although you are much more likely to be run over by a car in Istanbul than run into terrorist problems in Israel). As the cruise line reserves the right to change the itinerary, I'm sure you will be routed around problem areas, but then the new itinerary may not be to your liking. I would go with the sure thing.