Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2001, 12:40 PM
jaynie

Default Pre-cruise advice for Barcelona

Hey all. We signed up for the July 6,2001 Celebrity Millinneum cruise out of Barcelona. Any good suggestions for a hotel (we have 2 adults and 2 teenagers), good restaurants or sites to see. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Robin Massie

Default Re: Pre-cruise advice for Barcelona

Hi Jaynie, we too have signed up for a pre-cruise night in Barcelona. We are staying at the Firo Palace. This night also includes a tour of Barcelona. Hoped we picked the right hotel. The choices we had all looked pretty good. We are sailing may 19th on the Millenneum. Will be curious to hear about good restaurants and sites to see.
Old April 2nd, 2001, 02:40 AM
Admiral

I've been to Barcelona three times, but never stayed in a hotel. Ask your travel agent for information on this. Many times, you can get a pre-cruise hotel package from the cruise line since it starts in a major city.

One piece of information I will give you: this city is full of pickpockets and thieves.
Be very careful. A professional photographer friend never carries her camera bag,
but puts her equipment in an old tattered bag. Gypsies are very, very professional an especially watch out for kids in groups -- they're gangs who rob people.
I know someone who didn't make it out of the airport without being robbed.

The Rambles is the main shopping drag, not far from where the ships dock. You can amble along here. In each European city, there are editions of "Time Out", with local tourist information in English. You can find these at places selling newspapers.
Old April 24th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Robin:
I have been to Barcelona many times, I have taken the planned city tour only once, after that I have used a indivdual that has his own company, and he charges out per hour. It really is an excellent way to go, as big buses many times cannot get near many attractions. I am in travel business as an independent consultant, if you need further suggestions let me know. Depending on where you want to stay near ships or downtown area, I can recommend hotel.

Robin Massie wrote:
>
> Hi Jaynie, we too have signed up for a pre-cruise night in
> Barcelona. We are staying at the Firo Palace. This night
> also includes a tour of Barcelona. Hoped we picked the right
> hotel. The choices we had all looked pretty good. We are
> sailing may 19th on the Millenneum. Will be curious to hear
> about good restaurants and sites to see.
Old April 24th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Sharon McNaughton

Hi Jeanette,

I'd love some info on arranging private tours in Barcelona. I will be there for four day days in late September before the Millie transat crossing and am staying at the Hotel Gaudi. Could you let me know how to contact the person you mentioned. Thanks. Sharon
Old April 28th, 2001, 08:42 PM
First Mate

We signed up for the Celebrity pre-cruise package... Will this shield us more from the pickpockets than if we were just wandering around on our own???
Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

NO! Don't know which pre-cruise package you opted for and guess it doesn't really matter, but where ever you are just be mindful of your valuables. I never once felt threatened - but was always mindful of my possessions - and husband carried his wallet in his front pocket when touring ALL cities in Europe.

Also, take advantage of the safes provided by hotel/ship. Never carry more cash than you need and be mindful of your credit cards.

I felt more vulnerable in Rome and Florence than in Barcelona - however, I know of people on this board who have reported instances of pickpocketing in Barcelona - right at the pier.

Just keep your eyes open - and don't let it get you down! Enjoy your cruise! Barcelona is a great city!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old May 13th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Hi, Jaynie ...

Just back from a stop in Barcelona. (Was it really only last Wednesday?)

La Rambla (there are other, lesser Ramblas, but only one LA Rambla) is the heartbeat of Barcelona.

Starting at the foot (near the statue of Columbus) there are three main areas ... outdoor cafes, flowers, and animal markets. Don't worry, the pavement really isn't the way it looks at first. As you walk up you'll see a stained glass sign for a market on your left. Don't miss it. There's also a huge Internet cafe.

There are a gazillion bookstalls on La Rambla. I bought the essential Lonely Planet guide and one called Barcelona, the city of Gaudi. Lonely Planet has the better maps but the pictures in the other are beautiful.

When you reach the Plaza de Cataluyna, it's a nice walk to La Sagrada Familia. (MUST see.)

Taxis are inexpensive in Barcelona, and metered. Don't miss the Park Guell, another Gaudi exhuberance.

There are tons of restaurants on the waterfront, but we chose 4 Cats in the Gothic Quarter. Lots of history there. Do not walk down any of the very narrow alleys in the Gothic Quarter -- even during the day. We did and got somewhat nervous.

The "Old Cathedral" is in the Gothic Quarter.

We stayed at the Best Western Millenium but there's also a BW -- I think it's the Splendid -- right on La Rambla. I think your teens would enjoy being closer to the center of action.

If there's anything else I can add, ask while it's still fresh in my mind!

Happy Sails!

pamda
Old June 4th, 2001, 09:05 AM
First Mate

We're staying one night in late June. I did alot of research, looking for an historic hotel near the Plaza de Catalunya at a reasonable price. I came up with two that were recommended in several guides:

Hotel Nouvel- about a block from the Plaza & the Hotel Gran Via - a beautiful old mansion a few blocks north. Hope this helps.
Old June 6th, 2001, 10:56 PM
MCO

We arrived on the 9/25/01 at 6:45pm, Golden Princess will leave at 10pm for 15 nites cross the Altanic Ocean. Princess offer $25.00/pp for transfer, but we would like to hire a private tour guide for 2 to 3 hours city tour and then direct to the dock. Is any one cam advice us which tour co. we can contact and will it be a good idea?

Thank you!