Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2001, 05:41 AM
Bridget

Default Leaving RCCL ship early at Livorno and heading to

My family of four are booked on the Grandeur of the Seas leaving roundtrip from Civitavecchia in August. We have a special that included airfare at $199, this includes transfers. If we change our air to allow us to tour Rome before or after the cruise we are talking lots of $$.
I was thinking that since our last port is Livorno on Friday morning, would it be crazy to leave the ship at this port and go to Rome Friday. This would give us a day to tour Rome. I would have to pay the difference. I am not sure how I would go about this. Does anyone have a clue?? does it sound like a decent idea? I would like my teenagers to see Rome before heading home.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Leaving RCCL ship early at Livorno and heading

Bridget,

Leaving the ship early is as easy as packing your bags, checking out at the purser's desk, and walking off the ship -- but why?

Livorno is the gateway to Tuscany, including the cities of Florence and Pisa. Pisa, with its famous leaning tower, definitely is worth a visit if you have not been there, and Florence is famous for its art museums. The tour of the Tuscan winery (which includes a wine tasting) also sounds very interesting.

Also, the cruise line will have transportation into Rome already arranged for passengers who book hotels through the cruise line. If you talk to them nicely, you probably could hook into such a transfer at pretty nominal cost even if you arranged your own hotel. Also, Civitavecchia is much closer to Rome than Livorno so the transportation will cost a lot less even if you have to arrange it yourself.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.