Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Robie

Default Baltic shore excursions

Going on Galaxy 6-30 . Would like advise about what shore excursions are worthwhile or any suggestions on what to see and how to sightsee on our own. Usually I dislike cruiseline excursions and prefer doing my own thing. Help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2001, 04:08 AM
Ahti Arak

Default Re: Baltic shore excursions

Hi Robie,

Some words about Tallinn. Your boat will be landed probabaly in the so called Old Port- there are several ports in Tallinn. The OLd Port is placed about 1,5 mi far from the City (central part) and the most valuable gem of Tallinn- The Old Town. So if you like to do all this by your own you should take a cab or the shuttle bus. The Old Town is very walkable area, cobble paved streets, Toompea Hill etc.The territory of the Old Town is 120 acres, about 600 houses+ 30 acres on Toomepa Hill- 100 houses.
But there are else some sights- a nice and very well renovated small summer palace in Kadriorg, the Song Grounds, Estonian Open Air Museum etc, for these targets uou need some extra transportation- they are outside of reasonable walking distance. For futher information on Tallinn as well some other ports of call in the Baltic region- try http://www.inyourpocket.com
You can find some links on my webpage too.If you have any questions, please write directly to me.

Best regards
Ahti Arak
tours@hot.ee
Private Tours in Estonia
http://www.hot.ee/tours
Old May 4th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Alexei

Private shore excursions in St. Petersburg. Complimentary visa support.
www.palladium.spb.ru
Old May 13th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Admiral

We didn't take any ship's trips on the Baltic itinerary. Got Russian visas and spent two days on our own in St. Petersburg.

With the Baltic and St. P. Lonely Planet guides it's all very do-able.

pamda
Old May 13th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Robie

Are there any suggestions for "must see or do" Also, what kind of clothes should we take and wear in port?
Old May 14th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Admiral

First, get the guide books !!!

Tallin -- take the ship's shuttle bus and wander the old city

St. Petersburg -- Hermitage, Pushkin and Peterhof.

Oslo -- Veigland Park

Copenhagen -- Tivoli Gardens

Stockholm -- Walking tour of old city (maps on board or in stores)

Helsinki -- Pick up a local tour boat and love the outdoor market.

These are just high spots. All these port cities are very walkable or have good public transportation (except St. Petersburg from the pier.) There's a trolley stop right at the pier in Oslo. You do need the shuttle bus in Tallin.

Copenhagen "walks" easily but bus service is excellent if your feet get tired. Also there's a travelers' rest on the second floor of the Royal Copenhagen shop AND an outlet if Royal Copenhagen china is your thing. If possible, visit Tivoli both day and night.

Helsinki is not much more than an afternoon stroll. Stockholm is a fairly longish walk but pleasant. We took a cab back to ship because I'd acquired a long ton of crystal and my husband didn't feel like schlepping it. (Smart man.)

The absolute best sweaters are in Oslo at the Oslo Sweater Shop. There is a branch on the pier and one downtown. Same prices. If you see one you like but it's not in your size, they will happily call the other store. Make sure all your purchases are put on the same charge for the VAT refund.

I have been accused of freelancing because I'm a cheapskate. Nothing could be further from the truth. We're not at the mercy of someone else's idea of what we should see and do (and where to shop), we're not held up by the people who are never back at the bus on time, and we can pack in about twice as much per port as the organized excursions offer.

A word about the Lonely Planet guidebooks. Originally written for the backpacking set, they are essential for freelancing. (I do not work for them.) Without the LPs we would, arguably, have missed some of our best traveling experiences.

If I can offer any additional help, just holler.

pamda
Old May 14th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Robie

Thanks. Will be in touch. Did you go to Rostock or Arhus?
Old June 1st, 2001, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Alexei wrote:
>
> Private shore excursions in St. Petersburg. Complimentary
> visa support.
> www.palladium.spb.ru
Old June 24th, 2001, 04:45 PM
RZ

Hi,

I would challange your 'best sweaters' suggestion. The best sweaters we found were in Tallinn Estonia hands down and a the best prices.
Old June 24th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Has anyone used this guy Alexi
Old June 29th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Sophia Welch

We are going on the NOORDAM of Holland America - Baltic cruise from Copenhagen on 7/30/01. I read your very interesting comments and happen to agree totally with you about ship tours (and I love the Lonely Plannet books). Regarding St. Petersburg, could you please let me know how much it would be to take a cab from the pier to the Hermitage? And are they easy to get at the pier?
Also, did you use public tranportation in St. Petersburg?
Thank you,

Sophia
Old July 4th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Passenger

SDC,
email me and I will give you some information about what I have heard.
Chet