Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:21 PM
First Mate

Default Baltic Cruise

We're leaving 5/26 for a 15 night Renaissance Cruise on the R 7. Would like to do tours on own. Would like to find another couple to share "cab" with. Would also like advice on what to see and do. Visiting: Stockholm, Helsinki, St.Petersburg, Russia, Tallinn, Estonia, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Zeebrugge, LeHavre, Dover. Would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Baltic Cruise

Wow!
Sorry, I don't have any advice for you but your itinerary sounds wonderful! I hope to read about it when you return. Hope your cruise is as exciting as it sounds. That's one of cruises we are considering for next year.
Julie
Old May 4th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Alexei

Private shore excursions in St. Petersburg. Complimentary visa support.
www.palladium.spb.ru
Old May 4th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Robie

Taking a similar cruise 6-30. Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you return. Hope you can be helpful. Have a great trip.
Old May 5th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Ahti Arak

Hello

I wrote some comments on Tallinn (Esdtonia) almost in the previous thread Baltic shore excursions. Please find there my answer to Robie. If you have any more concrete questions about Tallinn, about Estonia, please mail me.

Kind regards
Ahti Arak
Private Tours in Estonia
http://www.hot.ee/tours
Old May 7th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Bernie S

Been there; done that! I took the Baltic cruise last June....E-Mail me and I'll answer with some tips from my experiences.
Old May 13th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Hi, Kathy ...
Old May 13th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Oops !!!

Hi, again.

I strongly recomment the Lonely Planet guides. There is one for Scandanavia and Baltic Europe and one for St. Petersburg itself.

You'll love the trip.

pamda
Old May 30th, 2001, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Could you explain what you mean. We will be on the R6 and we were told
that we needed to apply for a visa if we wished to use a private guide in St.
Petersberg. Do we need to get a visa if we use your service? Please tell us
what you charge for a day's tour, which we assume includes a car and
driver. Thank you.
Old May 30th, 2001, 12:24 AM
First Mate

Bernie,
Did you take private tours in St.Petersburg? If so, did you need to
obtain a visa before you left for the cruise? If you did who did you use
and what type of service did they offer and at what cost.
Thanks for the info.
Old June 2nd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Willy Paul

Just some thought that may interest you:

In Stockholm be sure to visit the Vasa Museu, it is a ship that sank and has been brought up and a museum is built around it. Also, the city Hall were the Nobel Prizes are presented.

I copenhagen be sure to go to tivoli Gardens. If you can go at night it is spectacular. Great restauirants throughout the park and entertainment everywhere.

In St. Petersburg, do not miss the hermitage, Pushkin is okay but a must do, and the summer palace at Peterhof with htier spectacular fountains are a must dIn Tallin be sure to see the old city.

We spent three days in amsterdam and some must sees are the Riksmuseum, the new Van Gogh Museum, of course the Red Light District and flower market ( these two are close and in waling distance. Get a train ppass. they go everywhere and the cost is nominal for a day or more. the circl 20 train is the toursit Train. It goes in a circle from the Central Train Station, so you can never really get lost. It always comes back to the same place and it stops at many of the tourist attraction.

At LeHavre you are 3 + hours from Paris. But you may also go to the Normandy Battle firelds if history is your thing. Very moving, be sure to visit the US Cemetay at coleville, I think it is more beautiful than Arlington.

Fro0m Zeebruge, take a cab to Bruge. You do not need a ship tour. It all canbe done i a days walking and the cab is very reasonable, particularly if you have another couple to share the cost. They will bring you to Bruge and come back at the apointed time. In Bruge take a boat tour, it's nice and you get to see some sights that walking yoiu would not see.

Have agreat time and Ihope this info helps. Wish I were joining you.
Old June 11th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Sophia Welch

We shall be doing the Baltic cruise on Holland America on 30 July 2001.
We would greatly appreciate the following information, if you have had the experience in St. Petersburg.

a) Can we easily get a cab from the dock to the Hermitage and how much would you say that would cost? We shall have our individual visas.

b) Is it easy to find a cab to bring us back to the ship in the evening?

c) How long are the lines at the Hermitage? We heard horror stories about much crowding and long lines there.

d) Have you had a good experience with one of the local tourist agencies there? We do not want to take the ship tours as they are too long and do not give you enough time to wander around in that city.

Many thanks for your reply,

Sophia
Old July 15th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Robie

Lines at all palaces are very long. Take the ship,s tour to the Hermitage and Puskin. Tours get in at 9:30 before the public. THe palaces are grand, but could use some maintenance.
Old July 17th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Sophia Welch

Kathy,

Did you go on the Baltic Sea cruise? How was it and what advise do you have for us - we are off in two weeks.

Thank you,

Sophia
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Robie

It ws great. Buy the city cards. Save $$. Have freedom and see more than bus tours. Only buy tours in Russia.