Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2001, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Default Monaco

How far is it from the port of Villafranche to Monaco?
Can we take a taxi? train?
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Alex

Default Re: Monaco

I am not too sure. But I am interested to find out too.
I read in somebody's review that "the train station in Villafranche was a 5 minute walk from the cruise dock and a lot of people took the train to Nice" ( So I presume you can do the same to Monaco - the opposite direction though).
I cannot find a map of Villafranche. I know it is close to Nice.
The taxi drivers at any cruise dock usually charge a lot for a private tour and will not run the meter.
Old May 27th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Sharon McNaughton

It's about a 15 minute train ride from Villefranche to Monaco. The trains run quite frequently, are inexpensive, lots fun and very scenic. Monaco, Villefranche, Nice, Antibes and Cannes are all so close together it's a short train ride from one to the other. Check the French Rail website at SNCF.com.for the schedules. I think there's a tourist info center in Villefranche and they will have all the info as well. It's quite a charming little town. Have fun!
Old May 27th, 2001, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the information! My husband really wants to do these places on his own instead of a tour -
Would it be possible to also do St.Paul de Vence?
Old May 28th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Nancy,

In Monaco, be sure to go up the hill to the "old city" ("Monaco Ville" to the natives) to visit the Cathedral and to take the tour of the royal palace. Their artwork and architecture are incredible!

Norm.
Old May 28th, 2001, 11:51 PM
Sharon McNaughton

Nancy : I think it would be a bit of a stretch to go to Monaco and St. Paul de Vence in one day if you are using trains and buses. Those hill towns are really lovely but if you want to see the Matisse Chapel in Vence and the Maeght Museum in St.Paul de Vence you probably need a car. ( If you just want to see the town then there is a bus from Nice to Vence, which is a wonderful old town). Monaco and Nice are certainly possible in one day by train and there's lots to see everywhere. I agree with the your husband that it's more fun to go on your own. Check with the French Government Tourist Office and they will send you piles of literature on every town you want to visit and all the ways of getting there. They are very helpful. Au revoir.
Old May 29th, 2001, 08:05 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all of your help!
Old May 29th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Sharon McNaughton

You're welcome. It was fun to revisit my own travels to that beautiful area.Sharon
Old May 30th, 2001, 09:40 PM
First Mate

Has any ever used Provence Sightseeing Cote d'Azur to take a private tour of Monaco, Nice, and the surrounding area?
They quoted a reasonable price but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used them. It there any way to check out if they're a legit company?
Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Cindy Hardy

Nancy,

I have never heard of Provence Sightseeing Cote d'Azur , but I was told to check out Dream-Tours (infos@dream-tours.com) for a tour. I asked for references and was given several that checked out just fine. They have a web-site that is not very sophisticated (http://www.dream-tours.com/), but you can contact them. They were very reasonable and flexible.

Cindy
>