Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Alex

Default Civitavecchia-Rome Train

How far is the port to the Civitavecchia Train station? ( I cannot find any map on the internet)

Has anyone taken the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and toured Rome on their own on the "tourist bus" departing from the Rome train station ?

I found the train schedule & tourist bus information already.

I am concerned about trying to get a taxi from the port to the train station. Based on my prior experience with the taxi drivers in other European ports, the taxi drivers would not take passengers to the train station. They were only interested in taking passengers to Rome on an expensive tour.
So it will be great if the train station is within walking distance from the cruise dock or is there any public bus ?

Thank you for any helpful inputs
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2001, 10:20 AM
daniele

Default Re: Civitavecchia-Rome Train

When you gat off the boat there will be a free bus shuttle going from the boat to the entrance of the port.From There it's a ten minute walk to the train.

danieleAlex wrote:
>
> How far is the port to the Civitavecchia Train station? ( I
> cannot find any map on the internet)
>
> Has anyone taken the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and
> toured Rome on their own on the "tourist bus" departing from
> the Rome train station ?
>
> I found the train schedule & tourist bus information already.
>
> I am concerned about trying to get a taxi from the port to
> the train station. Based on my prior experience with the taxi
> drivers in other European ports, the taxi drivers would not
> take passengers to the train station. They were only
> interested in taking passengers to Rome on an expensive tour.
> So it will be great if the train station is within walking
> distance from the cruise dock or is there any public bus ?
>
> Thank you for any helpful inputs
Old May 29th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Alex

Thank you Daniele. Is the free shuttle offered by the port or by all the cruise lines ? I am coming in on the Celebrity Millennium in August.

Do you know the time of the earliest train from Civitavecchia to Rome ? The train schedule on the internet is only to June 9. The ships docks at 7 a.m. ( is that too early for the train ?)

Are you in Italy ? If so and if you don't mind, I have more questions to ask you.
Old June 3rd, 2001, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Carl

Are there any other options for this transfer? Our curise line wants to charge us 56US each X 4 for the transfer.
Old June 3rd, 2001, 02:02 PM
daniele

You can ask me anything you need.

Daniele
Old June 5th, 2001, 11:57 AM
thuy

Carl,

Go to limoservicerome.com and check out the rates. My family of 4 are taking the cruise this Saturday from Rome and we're paying $100 for 4 passengers each way (airport to dock, dock to airport) so that'd come out like $25/person for each transfer. And the driver will wait for you outside custom area (or of the airport) so you don't have to drag your luggage around too far. Hope this help.

thuy
Old June 5th, 2001, 02:57 PM
First Mate

I am told that the train station is a 30 minute walk from the ship and that there are free shuttle buses that take you out of the pier area making the walk much shorter.
Old June 8th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Other Paul

Just got back from the mille May 31st. In Civitavecchia there are two shuttles, one from the ship that takes you into town and one run by the port that drops you at the gates to the port. Either way it is a five minute walk to the train station. Once there you purchase a BIRG ticket for 13000 lire good for round trip into Rome and use of all metro and busses. If you are lucky enough to get an express train there is a 2600 supplement each. Use your search engine to bring up the FS website and input Civitavecchia to Roma. The schedules are easy to figure out. If you click on the train # it will bring up the times for all stops. There is a station(San Pietro) 3 blocks from the Vatican. One block from where the cruiseline drops their "Rome on your own" tours. Caution: some express trains do not stop at this station.
E mail if any more questions.

Other Paul
Old June 26th, 2001, 11:50 PM
Passenger

I enjoy the responses to this question. The cruise lines really charge a lot of money for the transfer into Rome. My question is that this will be our last stop on the cruise. Will we be able to bring luggage on yhr shuttle, then the train and then a taxi to a hotel in Rome? Is it worth it? We are leaving in two weeks on the Renaissance cruise line. Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Ginnie

We took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and back about 10 years ago, while we were sailing on the Royal Crown of Royal Cruise Lines. The cruise line no longer exists. I remember walking to the train station, it was not too far and asking them at the window for 4 first class round trip tickets to Rome. We were sold the tickets and waited for the train on the platform. When the train arrived it had no first class and we were standing the entire time, over 1 hour.. It was so crowded that we could not even make it to the corridor. We toured the Vatican and Sistine chapel on our own, and afterwards had lunch nearby. We then hired a cab for a tour of Rome and it was great. I seem to remember that the Vatican is not too far away from the train station in Rome. It's so long ago and so many cruises in between. I hope that this will help you a bit. We still laugh about our first class transportation to Rome.
Happy Cruising!