Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Alex

Default Millennium 8/11 - Rome by train

Is there anybody on this cruise planning to go to Rome by train and tour on their own ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Steve Delman

Default Re: Millennium 8/11 - Rome by train

Alex -

We've booked the ship tour - "Rome Mostly on Your Own" (or whatever the exact name of that tour is - the tour that provides the round-trip bus but leaves you mostly on your home after arriving at the Vatican. I did this because I'd seen posts indicating that the train service, though not far from the port, was frequently unreliable. However, I could be persuaded to cancel that tour if I can get more comfortable about the train arrangements.

Why don't we discuss this when we get on board. Susan, Andrew and I will be in cabin 8084. I hope we'll also see you at the get-together that Martinimomma is trying to set up for all of us internet cruisers on this cruise.

Steve
Old August 7th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Millennium 8/11 - Rome by train

Listen , the best deal is to go by train! My family did it last sept. The roundtrip F/C ticket cost only about $20. If you have a good map of rome & can walk a bit then you will see much more then the ships tours show you! On our Princess Cruise the ship's tour was well over $100 & peeps complained about long lines & not seeing half of what we saw walking on our own. The train is more relaxing also because you can move around! We saw Trevia Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Colliseum, Forum, & several Churches along the way. We ate lunch at a nice cafe too & had plenty of time to walk back to the station. Just make sure that you leave yourself an our to spare in deciding which train to catch back to port just in case their are any delays. The Train is great & the shore excursions desk actually had a train scedual to give to us . We got a group of about a dozen people to go together & really enjoyed it.! johnny