Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2001, 11:21 PM
Chad Nieter

Default Americans in Europe during this difficult time

My wife & I are booked for a Med cruise this November. We're concerned about safety on our cruise to Istanbul, Athens, Venice, Naples, Rome, Cannes, and Barcelona. The State Department has issued an announcement on Italy. Any feedback from those just overseas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Americans in Europe during this difficult time

I too am interested. We are booked on the Radisson Navigator Nice to Venice leaving the end of the month. We really don't know what to do. Would appreciate input! thanks
Old October 8th, 2001, 02:38 PM
First Mate

I wonder if I finally found someone else going on this cruise. Are you on the NCL Classic Med Nov 8? I am traveling with a friend and we're interested in others' experience as well. Saw the advisory on Italy but haven't heard anything additional. Waiting for those on the 10/3 Mediterranean itinerary to return and report.

Let me know if we'll be cruising together!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:40 AM
mlbcruiser

You might try checking RickSteves.com. If you are not familiar w/him, he does a lot of traveling in Europe & his subject is "Europe Through the Back Door". I get emails from his sight periodically & am surprised to learn from your posts about the advisory on Italy. From his recent experiences he has indicated Americans have been extremely well treated since the "incident" in Sept. & Europeans are rolling out the red carpets. Hope you don't have to miss your trip. We cruised the Meditteranean only between Italy, Malta, France & Spain last June & tacked 4 days in Italy on either end of our cruise & had the BEST time you can imagine! There is another sight you might get info. on called itwg.it. You can learn everything about Italy on it & there are messageboards for questions, too. Good luck!
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Americans in Europe during this difficult time

Friends of mine were in Italy after 9/11 and they had a terrible time finding a hotel. They were told at 2 different hotels 'we would like to rent you a room but you are AMERICANS and we don't want any trouble."
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM
dick stein

USA today had an article tuesday, 3/4/03 where it said a mother and daughter visiting paris were called pigs and verbally abused for being American. I will be in Paris on May 9th and we may not get off ship and give the a chance to abuse us and ruin a good cruise. This will also be our wedding anniverary and not the first time in paris. We have been to europe 3 time but felt safe the last two.