Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Vicki C

Default London Guidebook?

Which one is best? There seems to be tons out there. We will have 2 days in London, what are must sees?
Thanks
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Trixi

Default Re: London Guidebook?

I enjoy Rick Steves' LONDON for excellent information. Great advice on best times to see a site, prices, closest tube stop, etc. I also enjoy the pictures in the Eyewitness' London book. Especially helpful is the "Practical Information" section with its pictures of the currency, exactly where to put your tube ticket in the machine, and what the standard British electrical plug looks like. I usually check out several different travel guides and travel videos from the public library before I purchase.

I enjoyed St. Paul's and Westminster, British Museum, Tower of London. I spent a week in London two years ago and there is still much to see and do for my next trip. I will be spending a couple of days in London pre and post cruise and I am working on narrowing down my "must sees" to a reasonable number and still fight off jet lag.
Old February 14th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Vicki C

Trixi,
Thanks for the good information, we don't go until Sept. but I am an information nut and like to know as much as possible about a place before I go. Hubby laughs at me but sure enjoys all the places I take him to that he wouldn't see otherwise.Where do you stay in London? I am looking at a B&B in Earls Court.
Vicki
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Trixi

We are staying near Victoria Station. We went with ease of getting luggage from airport (Gatwick) to hotel and then to Victoria Coach Station without using a limo service or taxi. Hubby is so happy with this "so called" savings that he doesn't notice all my purchases. I would love to stay at a B & B, maybe on my next visit?
Old February 16th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Vicki C

Where are you staying near Victoria Station? I have looked at the Annexe Hotel, Aarden Hotel and also the Cheviot Hotel. Have you heard of any of these?
Vicki
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Trixi

No I have not heard of those, have you tried asking on the Travel Talk area of Fodors.com? We just went with close to Victoria Station and in our price range. The Victoria Thistle was the winner. On our next visit we will go for quaint.
Old February 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Vicki C

How are you getting to the port? Are you cruising out of Harwich?
Vicki
Old February 17th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Trixi

We went with the connection package through Princess. We will meet them at the Victoria Coach Station and they will get us to the ship at Southampton. I am afraid I will have too much luggage to manuver on my own. I just can't pack light for a cruise. We live in Florida and I am use to taking more clothes than I need. I am going to try and cut down especially since I will want room in the suitcases for anything I might buy from all those great ports.
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Vicki C

How much is the package going to cost you? I have found a transfer company in London that wants 120 lbs. for three of us with luggage? I got another quote just this AM for 200 lbs. So guess my 120 is a good price. How are you doing on airfare? My TA in California called last nite and got us a roundtrip price of $520.00 per person. We fly out of Columbus, Ohio to Washington then get on a plane straight to Heathrow. The cost I was able to find on the Web was over 800.00 for the same trip.
Vicki
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Vicki C

How much is the package going to cost you? I have found a transfer company in London that wants 120 lbs. for three of us with luggage? I got another quote just this AM for 200 lbs. So guess my 120 is a good price. How are you doing on airfare? My TA in California called last nite and got us a roundtrip price of $520.00 per person. We fly out of Columbus, Ohio to Washington then get on a plane straight to Heathrow. The cost I was able to find on the Web was over 800.00 for the same trip.
Vicki
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:52 PM
trixi

On hidesight we should have done the transfer from London to the ship and back on our own. But at times hubby just wants to do things "the easy way" and not the more economical way. This is the same man that arranged for a Mercedes and driver to meet us at the airport in Rome.
Our transfers through Princess are approx. $120 each, round trip. We usually budget $5000-$6000 for 2 weeks in Europe including airfare. This trip will probably end up at $7000, once all my shopping in London is over, but we will be gone almost 3 weeks. Your flight price sounds great. I teach and have to do my vacations in high season. We did our own airfare and are very happy to pay $900 each for a nonstop flight from Tampa (where we live) to London in July.
Old February 26th, 2002, 04:34 PM
hyrik

I liked Michelin and Rick Steves book.HoweverFrommers London from 75$ a day[1999]has a suggested 2 day itineraries.Don't be afraid to take the tube everywhere.And of course the London Cabs are the best.
Old February 26th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Vicki C

Thanks for the good advice. Just today booked a B&B near Victoria Station. Sent last week for tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys, hope they come. Got a brochure from the Big Bus Tour company today in mail. Called BTA and they are sending me a map and lots of other stuff for free.
This is fun. Thanks again
Vicki
Old February 28th, 2002, 04:04 PM
pantux

I am a very visual person and love to look at pictures Dorling Kindersley Books (The eyewitness books) does a great guide to London lots of pictures and street guides ( their guide to Great Britain is great). If you want lots of hotels and food places not the best guide. If you want sights this is a good visual guide. Every page has color pictures Lots and lots of pictures. The National Geographic City guide to London is also a great guide for visual learners. Lots of great pictures. Going to spend a week in the UK before we leave on the Royal Princess on Aug. 10.
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
pantux

Vicki: It is not a guide book but it is a great read. London by Edward Rutherfurd, is a novel that follows 5 or 6 familes through all the major ages of Londons history in about 1200 pages. The fictional characters intermingle with historical persons making for a very realistic read. A former student of mine, now living in England, recommend I read it before I head off to England. I am glad he did. It made me want to see London even more. Let me know what you think.
Enjoy
Old March 1st, 2002, 10:24 AM
Vicki C

I am going to library today and will look for the London book. I read everything I can get my hands on before a trip. Like to know what to expect. That is why I enjoy these boards so very much.
Vicki
Old March 1st, 2002, 04:50 PM
weezie

Hello. We have traveled quite a bit on the continent and a few times to London. We find every time that we like the Fordor's series. 9 times out of 10, the reviews are right on - including hotels, and dining suggestions. We find their "break" suggestions during area tours very useful and have enjoyed many a recommendation. You can also visit their website. Good luck.
Old March 6th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Vicki C

Just finished Forever Amber. Is there another book that followes Amber to America? Loved the book. Getting the London book tomorrow.
Vicki
Old March 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: London Guidebook?

Hi Vicki: I too enjoy planning and organizing vacations for my family. We are going on the Toyal Princess Northern Europe and British Isles cruise leaving July 5 from Southampton. We plan on spending some time in London and Paris before and after the cruise. I am interested in getting the info on the transportation company you are using to get to the port. As there are four of us it is usually more economical not to use the Princess transfers.

Also I am interested in your air arrangements. Every flight I've checked out has been over $1,000 per person. We are leaving from Pittsburgh and willing to fly into London or Paris. How did you get such a reasonable rate, or are you not going in high season? We have to go in the summer because of my kids' schedules.

As far as hotels go, I scoured the different hotel reservation services and checked out a lot of web-sites. Since we are four, I was looking for hotels that have quad rooms, so we didn't have to get two rooms which eliminated a lot of choices. I also didn't want a big chain, but something with a little charm, a restaurant, but not as small as a B&B. I settled on the Euston Plaza Hotel, which had a great rate and availablity. We will be there during the finals of Wimbleton. Have you heard about that hotel at all??

Would love to correspond with you, I also got a brochure from the Big Bus Company, but am debating using them or hiring a Black Taxi for a few hours to take us around. It's a toss -up.

Maria
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Re: Re: London Guidebook?

Maria,
Sorry I have not responded before, but have been sick. If you email me I will answer all your questions. Too long for a regular post.
Vicki
Old April 18th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Passenger

pantux,

I could have written your post. !

We are spending a week in London before our Aug 10 Princess cruise. Love the DK Eyewitness series and have purchased the London guide.

How are you planning toget to the ship?

Tania
Old April 22nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
pantux

Tania
We are spending August 8 and 9 in Shouthampton. The hotel is a five min. cab ride from the port. We have bought an 8 day Brit Rail Pass, and will be traveling around. 3 nights in London then up to York to visit a former student, then Edinburgh, then Southampton. We are taking the cruise line transfer back to the airport on the last day. Will have no where near enough time to see all I want to see. Coud stay in London the whole time and see Plays. Booked tickets to see "Mama Mia" and "Taboo".
Art
Old April 26th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Art,

We are booked for Mama Mia on Aug.5th. With these coincidences, I expect to see you there......Daughter wants to see Romeo and Juliet so I'm looking into that. As an addendum, we'll be going to Stratford etc. as a day trip, probably Bath, Lacock, and Stonehenge too.

We plan on the train to Southampton and Princess transfers on the way back.

August 1st can't arrive quickly enough, but a lot of the fun is the anticipation, eh?

Tania