Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Ted

Default greek islands

Interested in 1-week greek island cruise. Cruise line suggestions based on experience ?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Mary Hollowell

Default Re: greek islands

Ted,

Two years ago cruised the Marco Polo thru the Greek Islands. It was the best vacation I ever took. It started in Instanbul, then went to Santorini and Mycanos. Both are wonderful. Bought beautiful gold jewelry in Mycanos. Eat the lobster there too.

Then went to Sicily, which is a beautiful place, which was a surprise. Then to Sorrento, visited the Isle of Capri, a must see, and the cruise ended in Rome.

The Marco Polo is an older and smaller ship. It is part of the Orient Lines. Because the ship is smaller, it can get into ports the big ships can't. You also have an international passenger list.

I highly recommend it. I would do it again in a second. Going in May on the Splendor of the Seas.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Mary
Old April 4th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Joe Reynolds

Ted,
I did the Greek Isles on the Stella Oceanus and also on the Stella Solaris. These are very old ships, but if they still have Greek Crew, they should remain good.
Marco Polo I have not been on, but here nothing but good things about her.
I am considering one of those Windjammer type cruises to the Greek Isles.
Have been to Santorini twice, but only on cruise stops and haven't had the pleasure of spending the night and visiting much wiht local people.
Have visited, Hydra, Myconos after starting in Piraeus. On Turkey coast to Pergemon and Ephesus.
The smaller ships put fewer people on these small islands and it is less crowded.
I don't know the size of the M.P but I feel sure it is much smaller than the S.O.S.
Old April 11th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Anne O,Neill

Have you considered Orient Lines Crown Odessey?
Old April 25th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: greek islands

The Crown Odyssey is a fine ship Sailed her to South America when she belonged to Royal Cruise Line. Don't remember too many veranda rooms, but she is a fine ship.
Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
AnnetteKelly

Travelled on the Splendour of the Sea last June had a fantastic time really nice ship going on it again in July, We went to Corfu,Crete, Kusadasi in Turkey,Athens it was a 7 night trip highly recommended.
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:07 PM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: greek islands

Annette,
Do you have a report posted anywhere on your trip? Sounds like a very nice trip and complemented by the Splendour of the Seas.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
AnnetteKelly

Default Re: Re: Re: greek islands

Hi Joe No I dont have a report posted, but would be glad to let you know anything you think would be helpful, We sailed from Venice which was really good,,then Athens through the Greek islands and back to Venice get back to me if you would like some more info Annette.
Old May 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: greek islands

We need a private tour person for Rhodes. Any recommendations ? (end October)
neviboy
Old June 4th, 2002, 02:37 PM
mattinla

I can't tell you about cruise lines...but I can tell you to try and choose one that stops in Santorini and that stays there past sunset. If you miss sunset in Santorini, you've missed the whole point of a magnificent island...

I know I've seen itineraries on the cruise lines where they stay there until 10 or 11...
Old July 16th, 2002, 01:25 AM
Thomas Brown

Hello,

If you go to Santorini, stay away from a jewelry store named ORO in the village of Oia.
The owners name is Alex and I was sold an Alexander the Great coin for $1.000.00 and it's a fake. Otherwise Santorini is beautiful and you should check out the island of Paros,Naoussa is a wonderful port and village.