CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Transportion on your Own to Tourist Attractions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/253522-transportion-your-own-tourist-attractions.html)

Jennipher July 26th, 2004 09:07 AM

Transportion on your Own to Tourist Attractions

Hi! We are going on a 7 day european cruise leaving on Saturday hitting the following places: Marseille, France; Nice/Monte Carlo, France; Villefranche (florence / Pisa) Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; and Naples, Italy. I read on one of the other messages that someone took a train from the port in Civitavecchia into Rome and avoided high cost excursions and traffic. I am very interested in getting to the main siteseeing areas - but avoiding the prepackaged excursions.

Can anyone give me more information on the best ways to get around on your own at these ports?

Thanks so much!

Joe Reynolds August 3rd, 2004 06:28 PM

Re: Transportion on your Own to Tourist Attractions

It looks difficult to do to me.

shemo August 8th, 2004 01:29 AM

Hi...we took a cruise earlier in the year with the same ports except Marseilles. In every port except Naples, we took the local train. In Naples we paired up with another couple and took a taxi to Pompeii, which cost about $100USD for the four of us. In Nice (going to Monaco) you'll have to taxi over to the train station. In Florence you can walk from the train to the sites and in Pisa you'll have to taxi to the Leaning Twr. Lucca is a bit tame after seeing these two sites. Be careful about the trains ...we found them to be good, but the chance of trouble on the tracks and delays is always a factor. We just kept talking to others waiting in the same area to make sure we were going the right way! Be ready for last minute track changes too. And the taxis.....you have to go to a taxi stand and wait for one to come. Sometimes a long wait....plus they will only take 4 people. Believe me, they won't budge on this rule. Don't tip...it's included in the price. We ended our trip in Rome and took a train from the port to the city with our luggage. If you don't buy a tkt for first class don't sit there....even though it looks exactly like 2nd class a conductor will make you move. Buses in Rome clean, new and plentiful. The driver doesn't sell or check the tkts. Buy your tkt at a local market. Most people speak English and can help you. Have fun.

Budd & Dawn August 8th, 2004 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Transportion on your Own to Tourist Attractions

Hi Shemo;
We are also going to take the train to Rome after our cruise, and we are concerned about bringing our two large bags on the train, did you have any problems ?
Also, what is the diference between first & second class ? What is the diference in the cost ? Thanks a lot

helen shotton September 7th, 2004 10:44 PM

Hi. My daughter and I are doing the same cruise in Oct. (2). Would you pls forward me any helpful responses. Thanks so much, Helen

Yvonne B September 16th, 2004 03:54 AM

Helen,

I'm or that cruise also. Check the message board on Cruisecritic.com. Be certain to sign up for meet and mingle. We need 25 participants to qualifiy for an official M&M. Search the threads for Oct 2 Splendour of the seas. There are lots of helpfu hints . You may be able to find a group to share, if you're interested. I'm doing Rome, and Marseille on my own.

See you there,
Yvonne

jamc November 6th, 2004 06:32 AM

I am not sure where you would connect with the Rome subway system but this is how we got around. Rome is small enough in the area around the Forum to walk. We walked from the Spanish steps area to and around the Forum and back to hotel near Spanish steps, A long day but we would stop now and then for a coffee break.. We took the subway to St.Peters in the morning, waited in the long line to get in and found many people just cutting into the line at the place where you get your tickets. Maddening after you have stood in the line for an hour. It's just what they do and nothing you can do about it. Rome was fabulous.

dot November 18th, 2004 08:30 AM

My family and I are taking a cruise, (Carnival's Liberty, Aug. 05 ) through out the Mediterranean Sea. I heard about the train from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia. Do you have to make reservations in advance for a seat or do you get tickets the day of travel. Information says there are no taxis going from the port to the train station and vice versa. Is the walk long? Another concern is the stop in Livorno, we are trying to get to Florence. The location of the train station from the port , the cost and time to get to Florence and back is it possible? Do the trains run often both ways? Is it cheaper for a family of four to hired a car? If you can help answer any questions I would apreciate it.

Thank you for your time, DOT