Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Passenger

Default Venice

How bad are the pigeons in Venice? I feel about them the way a lot of people feel about bugs--terrified! I know I'll have to avoid Piazza San Marco. But how about the rest of the city? A few here or there or lots? thanks for any advice/info as the trip really depends on this.
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Venice

amy: i understand your phobia - my sister would walk out into the street and nearly be hit by a bus to avoid a pigeon. I will travel alone to South America but cannot drive over a bridge - go figure those phobias!

As far as the pigeons in Venice - they are NOT everywhere and even in San Marco Square there are enough people feeding them so that they congregate to those people and ignore anyone who isn't feeding them. Don't get the idea that it is an Italian version of "The Birds" and stress yourself about it. In fact, outside of San Marco, I don't remember seeing any birds at all. I know how one's mind can focus on the worst case scenario and it doesn't help when someone says, "deal with it" or "get over it". Don't they think we WANT to?

So, go and enjoy yourself and report back at how well you did and how proud of yourself you will be!

Belgique
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Donna Hill

Oh my. I hate to hear about anyone avoid St. Mark's Square. It's been said that Napoleon called it the "Drawing Room of Europe." I'm positive that as long as you don't try to feed them, they won't bother you. There are pigeons in various squares around the city, but again, they won't approach you unless you try to feed them. When you go around the corner in various locations, you might see a few perched on the top of a door frame or something like that, but they're not just everywhere. I didn't see a lot of pigeons on the islands of Murano and Burano, so that's another idea too.

My husband and I have travelled extensively, and Venice is my absolute favorite city. It is so beautiful. Some people think heaven is up, but I think it's Venice! That's where I'm going when I die!

Have fun!

Donna
Old June 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Passenger

Maybe you have already travelled amyp, but I can't recall any pigeons other than in St. Marks Square- and at dusk the pigeons VANISH from St. Marks. And thats the time to definitely be there! There are several restaurants that have bands playing in the evening and the ambiance is absolutely heavenly. Agree with Donna...there is no place in the world like Venice. You have nothing to fear if you wait to venture out in the evening- and again I do not remember pigeons being noticeable in any other places.