Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Meditteranean In October/Nov

What is the weather like for a cruise from Barcelona in October like? We are looking
for a future 2004 cruise from Barcelona, Malaga, Gilbrator, Azores, a transatlantic
crossing to Nassau, and a return to Tampa. We live in Tampa and this October
2004 cruise seems so ideal as we have never been to Europe before. This cruise
is far off, but gives us plenty of time to save $$, do a little research, etc......

JanGail (Horizon, 19 Jan 2004)
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Meditteranean In October/Nov

Hi JanGail,
This may not help you, but in 2001 we cruised the Med from Barcelona to Rome via southern France and northern Italy. It was a 10-day,
Sept. 16-26, and the weather was great the whole way. Your cruise will take you further south (Malaga & Gibraltar), so I would think that your weather would also be nice (in Oct. at least). November might be a bit nippy in the Med, but it would probably get warmer as you head to the Azores and then on to the New World. Which ship will you be taking?
Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 19th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Hi JanGail
We did a Med cruise last year at the end of October and had fantastic weather. It was about 26 deg. The evening can be a bit nippy so you will need to pack a few jumpers. We were booked on the Millenium cruise on the 22nd July and was told on Wednesday that it had been cancelled so my family are a little disapponted at the moment. Hope you have a fantastic cruise next year.
Michelle
Old July 19th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Meditteranean In October/Nov

Thanks for the quick replies! KimJack, the ship we would be taking if going on this
cruise is RCCL's Splendor of the Seas. This would also be a first time on an
RCCL ship. We have been on other cruises ranging from Carnival, NCL, Holland
America, and Celebrity this coming January 19. By the way, excuse me for the
mispelling on Gibraltar-- that one slipped right by me!
JanGail
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Passenger

There are still a few cabins on the October 13 Barcelona cruise. Maybe you could get on it.
Old August 31st, 2003, 07:12 PM
Judith Elias

Default Re: Re: Re: Meditteranean In October/Nov

Can't comment on October weather, but have done our first cruise on Splendour of the Seas this August. Lovely ship, luxury right through, food could not fault, spotlessly clean, hope you have a great time.
Old September 9th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Captain

We cruised the Mediterranean twice in October and November. We did a round-trip from the port city for Rome (Civitavechia) the first time and sailed from Istanbul to Rome the second time. The temperatures were not unpleasant--in fact, the weather was gorgeous for the most part--but we did miss a port on our second fall Mediterranean cruise due to weather. We were tendered in the port of St. Tropez when a storm started, and it turned into a pretty dangerous situation. Our tender was bobbing in 10-12 foot swells, which was kind of scary, but the worst part was trying to get all the passengers up the stairs on the side of the ship (since we were tendered and they were taking us back to the ship in lifeboats) with the boats bobbing around. Since they had so many safety issues, we were stuck at the port with no shelter (there was a small office, but it was packed) out in the wind and rain for over two hours waiting until it was safe enough to send a tender back over for us. Princess handled it all very, very well, and we were impressed. Due to the safety issues, we had to skip Portofino the next day and sail straight to Rome. A lot of the passengers were disappointed because Portofino is fabulous (my husband and I had already been there), but everyone could see that the weather was not cooperating, so there were no hard feelings. So if you get a good price and understand that a situation like this might arise, I think the weather should not be a problem for you.
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM
Carol B.

I am taking a Greek Island cruise in Oct., and wondered if people wore fall clothes like we do in the states, or still wore whites and pastels? Thanks--Carol
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:12 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Meditteranean In October/Nov

Hi Carol,

I saw some of both. We were there at the end of the season (late October), so the weather was getting cooler. I think if you want to take your whites, take them and take a jacket too. It will be the time of the year in which the weather could go either way while you are gone.

If I can help with any further info, please let me know.

Donna
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Bun73@aol.com

Been to the Med in Oct/Nov the last two years and am going again next month. You will find the weather to be pleasant. Cool in the mornings, and never too hot. I took some shorts and wore them occasionally. Mostly capri pants during the day with a short sleeve top, and would take a sweater or jacket, but mostly did not need it for daytime. The white-doesn't matter. You see everything, although Europeans tend to wear dark colors it seemed.