Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Thomas Luehne

Default Holland Americas Noordam

I personally think Holland America is a great cruise line and I get a little tired of people running down the older vessels. I was on the Westerdam a couple of years ago and loved every minute of it, service, food, cabin, cleanliness etc were all outstanding in my humble opinion. Wife and I will be setting sail on the Noordam from Civitiveccia Italy on September 23, 2003 for a 10 day mediterranean cruise ending in Barcelona Spain. Looking forward to this trip and hope it's as enjoyable as my last Holland America trip. Anyone with any good comments about this vessel, or should I be concerned. Can't believe that HAL would allow any of its ships to deteriorate to the degree that some people have suggested. Please re-assure me that I have nothing to worry about. Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Bun73@aol.com

Default Re: Holland Americas Noordam

We will be on the same trip on Oct. 23 Rome to Barcelona, please email me when you get back. I too hate to see the negative reviews. I have been on many ships and have enjoyed all. Have been on the Norway three times and appreciate her charm. New is not always better, it is the staff, service, food that lend itself to a great experience.
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Passenger

Thomas,

The Noordam is a beautiful boat with impecable service and wonderful food. However, having traveled on the ship on July 21st, I can tell you that there are some problems. During our cruise, here were the problems: bad plumbing, broken air conditioning, moldy bathrooms, and a short which stalled the ship in port. This is not to say that you will not have a wonderful cruise as I agree that the older ships have a charm that the new ones do not have.

Caroline
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Thomas Luehne

Default Re: Re: Holland Americas Noordam

I will post a short trip report when I get back. I've never had a bad cruise experience. Maybe I'm just lucky. Personally, I love the older vessels better than the newer ones. More personable.
Old August 7th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Passenger

We are booked on the 9th September cruise - Copenhagen to Rome. Since I have been reading the boards (from last September) there have been excellent reviews on the Noordam from recent passengers, especially this year. Apparently the ship is in great condition, the carpets and furnishings up to scratch and the crew and food is good. I know there is vibration on the ship, but that is what being on a ship is all about and if you don't like that go to a mainland resort. After all, we are on a ship! I am looking forward greatly to our cruise and we will enjoy every minute of it, life is too short to be whinging. Engineering problems can happen on any ship and it is just unlucky if it happens when you are on a cruise.Thomas Luehne wrote:

>
Old August 9th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Holland Americas Noordam

I love sailing on older ships, that why I choose the Noordam 2 years ago. However, after sailing on her I would think twice about. Since then I've sailed on 3 other HAL ships and none of them had the problems we encountered during our cruise. As much as I hate to see the demise of an older ship with a wonderful promenade deck, this is one ship that needs to be retired.
Old August 10th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Mary VT

Default Re: Re: Re: Holland Americas Noordam

I'm getting nervous about my first cruise to Europe. I'm going on the 29th Copenhagen-Copenhagen cruise on the Noordam. I like old ships and wondered if there was anything in particular I need to be aware of before this one. Appreciate any commets!
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Mary VT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Holland Americas Noordam

Well no one replied to my message, so I will report on what happened on our cruise myself. Overall, the Noordam is a nice ship. The food was fantastic, not overly spicy, which is what we like. The service was the best you could ask for. Everything is kept clean and neat and done very efficiently. The entertainment was enjoyable, although the seating was not that great. We had a terrible room and requested a room change. Our room had a wet floor and smelled musty in the closets. Fortunately there was another room for us, and they were very nice about the change, but it was a downgrade to an inside room which disappointed us greatly. We were given a credit for that, but we were still disappointed. The ship was fully booked, so there weren't any other options at that point. The vibration of the ship really bothered my husband and he has vowed never to go on an old ship again. I really wasn't bothered by it, though. Our biggist complaint was the tours. They were not only expensive, they were too rushed. Our best tour was in Moscow. We had a fabulous guide who took us everywhere and was extremely knowlegeable! We went to Berlin on our own and hated it. We were not given good information and ended up sightseeing for 2 hours out of the 13 hours we were there. Make sure you have Euros when you go there. Most of the time was spent in the train system. The train ride was ugly and uncomfortable. Tallin was our second favorite place. A wonderful city and great shopping!
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Rich Wong

We were on the Regatta in its inaugural season (formerly Renaissance's R2) and she experiences an electrical power failure. Fortunately, we were in port and it was during daylight hours, so there was no panic. If it had been at sea, or at night, that would have been altoghether different. That's why I always keep a flashlight in the nightstand - if there's a fire at sea and the power goes out, it'll be worth its weight in gold!

Richard