Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Russ Bazin

Default Athens

Can anyone tell me how far is the port to the city center (Accropolis) area and are taxis readely available??

Thanks

Russ B
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2003, 07:26 AM
Alex C

Default Re: Athens

We took a taxi from the airport to Piraeus (the Port) and it was 45 minutes.
It's a long story but originally we were going to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel close to the Acropolis and I was told it would have taken 30 minutes to Piraeus by taxi depending on traffic.
Something you should no is that until the Olympics next Summer Athens is one big building site! The amount of roadworks and noise, dust and dirt that we saw from the airport to Piraeus was awful. Luckily it wasn't our first impression of the place as we had enjoyed a stay before.
Taxis are indeed readily available, but you MUST agree a price with the driver before setting off. We tried to and still paid slightly over the odds, but we heard nightmare stories of others getting REALLY ripped off.
If you need a hotel recommendation, the Athens Intercontinental is great albeit expensive with views of the Acropolis from some rooms and it's upper floor restaurant, (my company paid last time).
Alex
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Sea the World

Default Re: Athens

I'd like to know if the port is within WALKING distance of some/any shopping. I'm not necessarily talking about the Plaka. Or do you need to take a taxi? I was in Athens last summer on a cruise and I don't remember if the port is actually near anything or it's very isolated. Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Athens

There were taxi's waiting at the port during my cruise in June. You can also walk to the Metro station. It is about a 20 minute walk along the road that curves around the port area. The Metro station is in a non-descript yellow building. You can buy a ticket to the Acropolis area for about 60 cents (Euro) or about 75 cents if you expect to transfer to the M2 or M3 lines. The M1 line is the only line to Piraeus. We got off a Montersarki (or something like that) and walked through the Plaka area up to the Acropolis. It was inexpensive and easy to do. The train ride took about 15 minutes.